Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Del

Vyemm Raider
Capturing raid bosses to defend your warplot? Holy shit, I think I missed that part in the panel yesterday.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
No idea what your problem is Quaid. The video was perfect. Everything about this game sounds pretty amazing. And it's going to be released at a great time.

Can't wait.
Listen man, you can play a game all you want. Lord knows I've played my share of generic MMOs and had a blast doing it. Hell, I'm playing one as I type this. I won't be playing Wildstar because the game includes a couple 'deal breaker' issues for me (spazzy combat, boring classes, overall theme).

My 'problem' with this game lies in their silly, juvenile, lame-ass, presentation. Pretty much every promo video includes some form of lowest-common-denominator bodily function humour. Be it an ear wax pun (wtf?), a belch, a fart joke... Or whatever they decide to shit out that day. It's like they have a team of excellent writers who are in tune with current humour... And then one Dreamworks reject who has to slide a fucking kaka joke into every video while he drools into his spit-cup.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
Capturing raid bosses to defend your warplot? Holy shit, I think I missed that part in the panel yesterday.
That's been a feature for a long time. Honestly, warplots are a great concept but the implementation of them has sucked ass. I'm not a fan at all and I have little hope that they'll be able to fix the core issues they have in time for launch.

Based on:

No idea what your problem is Quaid. The video was perfect. Everything about this game sounds pretty amazing. And it's going to be released at a great time.

Can't wait.
&

My 'problem' with this game lies in their silly, juvenile, lame-ass, presentation. Pretty much every promo video includes some form of lowest-common-denominator bodily function humour. Be it an ear wax pun (wtf?), a belch, a fart joke... Or whatever they decide to shit out that day. It's like they have a team of excellent writers who are in tune with current humour... And then one Dreamworks reject who has to slide a fucking kaka joke into every video while he drools into his spit-cup.
It seems that the Wildstar marketing team is targeting people who enjoy fun while simultaneously detracting grumpy old men who are still hoping for Everquest to make a come back (don't you dare say that ogres scratching their asses was immature potty humor, it was stylistic dammit!). I wonder which leads to a more successful (read: financially viable) game.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
It seems that the Wildstar marketing team is targeting people who enjoy fun while simultaneously detracting grumpy old men who are still hoping for Everquest to make a come back (don't you dare say that ogres scratching their asses was immature potty humor, it was stylistic dammit!). I wonder which leads to a more successful (read: financially viable) game.
Ya, mistimed and incredibly forced-sounding ear wax puns are 'fun'. Got it.

If Carbine's target market is people with shitty taste in comedy, they are gonna be phat stackin' benjies on June 3rd. Then I assume the Dane Cook Raid DLC drops later this year, which includes a Tyler Perry as "Madea" voice pack, and Yakov Smirnoff costume pack, and a Margaret Cho mount.

All that being said, the rest of that video was outstanding. They sold that feature incredibly well, and after watching it again, I may consider a purchase based on Warplots alone (pending research).

Anomander Rake

Golden Knight of the Realm
Ya, mistimed and incredibly forced-sounding ear wax puns are 'fun'. Got it.

If Carbine's target market is people with shitty taste in comedy, they are gonna be phat stackin' benjies on June 3rd. Then I assume the Dane Cook Raid DLC drops later this year, which includes a Tyler Perry as "Madea" voice pack, and Yakov Smirnoff costume pack, and a Margaret Cho mount.

All that being said, the rest of that video was outstanding. They sold that feature incredibly well, and after watching it again, I may consider a purchase based on Warplots alone (pending research).
A+ LOL

Toxxulian_sl

shitlord
Why are you focusing so much on one small part of the video? Who. The hell. Cares.

Do you honestly decided which game you are going to purchase next month based on asmalldetail inonevideo? (or even a few).

So far you are the only person I've seen on here that has taken so much time to bitch about something so insignificant. I didn't even notice it as a "thing" until you brought it up. The videos so far, that I have seen, have sold me on the game. Fantastic voice overs, great animations, amazing concepts, etc. Even their website looks / acts amazing. From a purely aesthetic / basic web site stand-point, everything feels well done and polished.

Very exited about this game, and everyone I have spoken to about it is feeling the same way. If they can provide a smooth launch with all the different stuff they are claiming is in the game, this game will be huge.

Del

Vyemm Raider
I see, Voldeth. I've only been paying attention to this game for the last 6 months and I've mainly been focusing on the "Eldar game". As a big Vanilla and TBC WoW raider I'm really loving what I've seen and heard about raids being difficult and the fact that the best gear in the game will only be obtained by the players with skill. Welfare epics are one of the things that really pissed me off about WoW.

I also find it sorta funny and sad how many of the top posters in this thread are the detractors who keep reminding us over and over that they aren't buying the game.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Why are you focusing so much on one small part of the video? Who. The hell. Cares.

Do you honestly decided which game you are going to purchase next month based on asmalldetail inonevideo? (or even a few).

So far you are the only person I've seen on here that has taken so much time to bitch about something so insignificant. I didn't even notice it as a "thing" until you brought it up. The videos so far, that I have seen, have sold me on the game. Fantastic voice overs, great animations, amazing concepts, etc. Even their website looks / acts amazing. From a purely aesthetic / basic web site stand-point, everything feels well done and polished.

Very exited about this game, and everyone I have spoken to about it is feeling the same way. If they can provide a smooth launch with all the different stuff they are claiming is in the game, this game will be huge.
Wtf else is there to talk about?

WageSlave

Golden Knight of the Realm
I've tried Medic, Esper and Spellsinger. Got all of them to 12 or 13 but then got bored and tried another class. Then I noticed I didn't even log on during the last beta (D3 RoS is really, really good). I'm thinking there will be a mass exodus of players after the first month or so unfortunately. I can't really put my finger on what is wrong with the game other than a very generic "its boring".

iannis

Musty Nester
I dunno how many discrete teams worked on this thing, but it is obvious that there were many. It is also obvious that the quality of their work is not uniform.

Parts of the game are spectacular. Thumbs high to the housing team. But so much of the game is, "Oh! Neat! I see what they're going to do with this system." and then they... just... sort of... forg... et. The entire game nods off. And it nods off in level ranges -- obviously echoing the development structure.

What they do have ranges from adequate to excellent, but it is spreadfartoo thin. The 5man dungeons that they have are honestly very good. Housing is very good. The 5man sim-cores that they have are a neat idea and could have been done worse. It's not a case of abject failure. Plenty about the game is good. I suspect it's a case of mediocre project management. Which is not bad project management it's just mediocre.

In hindsight I think that what they needed wasThe Scott. The 20 teams that apparently worked on this game could have delivered a better product. That's evident in the nature of the product that they did deliver.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Honestly, the game's one fault is terrible terrible class design/customization. And combat. The rest is good stuff for an MMO.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
If Carbine's target market is people with shitty taste in comedy, they are gonna be phat stackin' benjies on June 3rd. Then I assume the Dane Cook Raid DLC drops later this year, which includes a Tyler Perry as "Madea" voice pack, andYakov Smirnoffcostume pack, and a Margaret Cho mount.
In Wildstar, game bitches about YOU

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
So I'm a little behind. Is the consensus from the people playing this game that it's just boring?

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So I'm a little behind. Is the consensus from the people playing this game that it's just boring?
A lot of people find it boring. I didn't find it boring, I found it to be too much like other games. The combat itself is 100 times more responsive then Teso. Problem is it's just mediocre at best even with the responsiveness.

I bet you a whole bunch of people will disagree with me just for the fact they like something different. Best thing is just to give it a try and find out if you like it.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
A lot of people find it boring. I didn't find it boring, I found it to be too much like other games. The combat itself is 100 times more responsive then Teso. Problem is it's just mediocre at best even with the responsiveness.

I bet you a whole bunch of people will disagree with me just for the fact they like something different. Best thing is just to give it a try and find out if you like it.
I plan on doing that as right now my choices are TESO and this and TESO is decent enough but there is a lot of great potential in some of the stuff I read about this game. It's to bad warplots aren't getting rave reviews. Does this play like current WoW MoP or like pre-MoP WoW?

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Does this play like current WoW MoP or like pre-MoP WoW?
Doesn't play like either. It's like they took a bunch of things from different combat systems and tried to make a WoW with aiming and limited buttons. You really have to try it yourself. Some people really like it. I didn't think it was that bad, but some people hate it. It's not a bad game, just isn't for me.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
I dunno how many discrete teams worked on this thing, but it is obvious that there were many. It is also obvious that the quality of their work is not uniform.

Parts of the game are spectacular. Thumbs high to the housing team. But so much of the game is, "Oh! Neat! I see what they're going to do with this system." and then they... just... sort of... forg... et. The entire game nods off. And it nods off in level ranges -- obviously echoing the development structure.

What they do have ranges from adequate to excellent, but it is spreadfartoo thin. The 5man dungeons that they have are honestly very good. Housing is very good. The 5man sim-cores that they have are a neat idea and could have been done worse. It's not a case of abject failure. Plenty about the game is good. I suspect it's a case of mediocre project management. Which is not bad project management it's just mediocre.

In hindsight I think that what they needed wasThe Scott. The 20 teams that apparently worked on this game could have delivered a better product. That's evident in the nature of the product that they did deliver.
If you check out their staff on LinkedIn two things quickly become clear :

i) they are largely staffed by people for whom their current role is a step up and for which many don't have experience;

ii) the only way they could deliver a game of this scope is by copy and pasting WoW then playing around with the systems.

Based on that it was always going to deliver aspects that are good and some that are not so good.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
I plan on doing that as right now my choices are TESO and this and TESO is decent enough but there is a lot of great potential in some of the stuff I read about this game. It's to bad warplots aren't getting rave reviews. Does this play like current WoW MoP or like pre-MoP WoW?
There really isn't a valid comparison between those two choices. I played TESO up to Veteran rank 6 and I've been bored to tears for quite some time now. I've easily spent 10x the time in Wildstar betas and I'm still looking forward to logging in come launch.

Here are some of the valid complaints I've seen about the game:

The classes in Wildstar lack depth: this is rectified somewhat at level 50 when you have all your AMP points and you can unlock the tier 8 abilities. It's still inexcusable that they couldn't have come up with more interesting skills throughout the leveling process as a significant number of people will not make it that far. It's not like they don't know how to do it (See: Stalkers).

The combat is boring: This really seems to be up to the eye of the beholder - some people really like the combat and others find it dull. Personally, with the exception of TERA, I've always found MMO combat to be rather lackluster. I certainly haven't found anything difficult in Wildstar outside of group/raid encounters but that's no different then every single MMO out there and I'm okay with that.

Wildstar is aimed at people who want to continue playing a game similar to WoW who aren't troubled by its lack of innovation. If you're looking for a game that's doing things differently - you're in entirely the wrong place. This is a game where the difficulty is in the raiding game, where you obtain +gooder items off bosses, and where your characters will progressively get bigger shoulder pads to highlight that they are internet dragon slaying bad-asses. If you're sick of that type of game, if you spend hours on message boards trying to come up with ways to advance to genre, or if don't enjoy slightly juvenile humor mixed in with 'the fun stuff is at the end game' then you will hate this game. If not, you'll probably enjoy Wildstar (but I'd recommend trying it first!)