Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Nebuchadnezzar

Golden Squire
Tutorial ends at like lvl 3. Once you're on the planet that's the game and yeah, it's pretty familiar to anyone that's played a MMO before. I'm up to 16 now and it's still a good MMO that had okay polish (they did break Tradeskills apparently) with red glowing telegraph combat. Still overpriced. Not the second coming of awesome.

Kinkle_sl

shitlord
Decided to play the OB with my wife. First impression upon logging on is that visually, everything is a mess. Not that I don't like the art style or anything, it's that the UI splattered haphazardly over my screen combined with an itsy-bitsy font and crowded-thus homogenized-graphic models are visually assaulting. The result is that I could turn around in a room without moving and get lost because there's nothing to make anything stand out. It's as if Michael Bay brought his Transformers CGI philosophy over to video games.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Decided to play the OB with my wife. First impression upon logging on is that visually, everything is a mess. Not that I don't like the art style or anything, it's that the UI splattered haphazardly over my screen combined with an itsy-bitsy font and crowded-thus homogenized-graphic models are visually assaulting. The result is that I could turn around in a room without moving and get lost because there's nothing to make anything stand out. It's as if Michael Bay brought his Transformers CGI philosophy over to video games.
This is probably my one complaint and even though I plan to play the game it bothers me every time I log in. I keep looking for mods to fix it but there isn't anything amazing yet, though some mods do fix some issues people are having.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I made it about 15 minutes in this before quitting out. I doubt I'll ever return.

Here's the summary:

I actually set up boot camp to try this open beta. I had to fsck the hard disk before it would let me shrink the partition to create the windows partition.
I spent more time getting boot camp setup than actually playing the game.
If you count DSO and M59 (and exclude Yserbius for some reason) I've been playing these kind of games for almost 20 years.
The tutorial is insulting. Just insulting. Do we really need a tutorial to move and not stand in the red shit?! There are millions and millions of people who have played WoW.
Your tutorial should be replaced entirely with a simple Y/N question. Have you played a MMO before? If N then open a fucking PDF that says "use wasd to move. Also don't stand in the red shit."
I can sprint for a longer amount of time in real life than my character in this game can sprint. THAT'S NOT A SAYING I CAN SPRINT VERY FAR, EITHER.
What on earth are they doing with the combat system? Why is my '1' ability on my Stalker not a left mouse button ability. I have to click it SO FUCKING OFTEN there's no way it should be an action key. The proposed control scheme is absurd.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Nija, I agree with your complaints about the tutorial, the sprinting, and the 1 ability. My argument against them is this, after doing the tutorial a couple times you can easily get through it in no time flat. Sprinting is really mean't to be important for combat and not travel, mounts going pretty fast so once you get one you will rarely sprint unless in combat. The ability 1 is an issue, but there are mods already (thank god for the modding) that give you several options to put it on the mouse buttons or other variants.

Does that make these issues okay? No, not at all. Does that mean these issues make the game so tedious/unplayable that people should quit over them? Not if they like the rest of the game, they're easily moddable or worked around.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Nija, I agree with your complaints about the tutorial, the sprinting, and the 1 ability. My argument against them is this, after doing the tutorial a couple times you can easily get through it in no time flat. Sprinting is really mean't to be important for combat and not travel, mounts going pretty fast so once you get one you will rarely sprint unless in combat. The ability 1 is an issue, but there are mods already (thank god for the modding) that give you several options to put it on the mouse buttons or other variants.

Does that make these issues okay? No, not at all. Does that mean these issues make the game so tedious/unplayable that people should quit over them? Not if they like the rest of the game, they're easily moddable or worked around.
You can sprint on mounts too.

Devnull_sl

shitlord
A-fuckin-men regarding the sprint and controls. The design of this game is schizophrenic and causes it to feel awkward as hell. There's probably a good game in there somewhere, if you can deal with the weird shit it's wrapped in.

They built 3rd person character action combat in which everything is aimed and gave it standard MMO controls intended for tab targeting.

It's a traditional MMO in the sense you're doing quests and running around for multiple hours at a time, but included a sprint that causes you to repetitively hold the shift key. Aside from the strain that causes, it also fucks up using shift which is probably used by most MMO players as their main modifier. It's still fucked up even if you unbind it.

They have traditional party and raid unit frames even though almost all the heals in the game are area targeted, not unit targeted. The floating unit frames, which would be far more useful, are garbage.

They went with a stylized cartoonish art style. It looks great, but one of the benefits of that art style is that the models and textures don't need to be highly detailed and the performance of the game can greatly benefit as a result. But yet, it performs poorly.

The game world is actually open and seamless but the maps are boxed in and make it look like the zones are instanced and compartmentalized.

asfastasican_sl

shitlord
After i got control of my account again I logged on two weeks ago. There were major lag issues on that particular day so I waited to log on yesterday night.

Does it feel like they nerfed Stormtalon? I was kinda enjoying the slog and wipes even with the pug players but now I come back and it feels like they nerfed one or two abilities the mobs use. It was more facerolly. Maybe its because of them raising the level cap, but I was under the impression your character caps out at lv 20 regardless. Similar to how your level goes up or down when queuing into most mmo's in their battlegrounds or how GW2 delevels you.

Other than that, I can appreciate what direction they are going with Spellslinger spell power, but good lord I am not a fan of the new UI. It took me a minute to find the find dungeon finder button. And call me a filthy casual if you want, but I STILL haven't figured out where the fuck my target's interrupt armor count is. It wasn't in a very intuitive spot before but now it's probably in a worse position. GUI scaling issues?

Also, they made it so my Flame Burst skill is always lit up, even when it's unusable. It's bad enough that I'll probably need a mod to notify me when I can cast it, but now I have to stare at my buff bar just to know when I can throw it into my rotation? Meh.

Other than that It's the same game basically. If i unsub down the road it will mostly be because of me being busy this summer and less about the game sucking. I don't feel like repeating the points I made in older posts but it has its pros and cons. It comes down to your preference. It has its flaws but its actually a polished mmo. Hard to find that shit lately tbh.

odekthal_sl

shitlord
Does it feel like they nerfed Stormtalon? I was kinda enjoying the slog and wipes even with the pug players but now I come back and it feels like they nerfed one or two abilities the mobs use.
iirc bosses in STL had their autoattack damage reduced by up to 20% and some of their abilities got changed from 100% armor pierce to 75%.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Decided to give OB a try since I had strong negative opinion about the game since closed beta. Gonna make a list, people like lists.

Pros :
- Chuas are awesome ! In a more general way, characters look nice (if you're not a cartoon graphics hater) and face animated emotes are nice as well.
- OB with European servers, my 15ms latency thanks you, Carbine.
- Game feels responsive (minus characters but I'll get to that).
- Lots of UI customization, you can move alot of stuff.
- I'm gonna say it runs really fine but people seem to have performance issues with it. Didn't have any problems myself.

Cons :
- The tutorial is still awful, you run errands and learn about red_circle_of_fire philosophy. You should have the option of skipping it, like "if this if your first video game ever ? YES / NO".
- Some characters movements are floaty, they "slide" on the ground, some people don't mind it, I find it bad.
- Somes classes design is pretty bad, Spellslingers still have the "normal dps / shitty dps" Spell Surge feature for example.
- Telegraphs, telegraphs everywhere. Really, it gets easily tiresome in battlegrounds or any crowded area.
- LAS system limiting gameplay by design. 12 skills would have been way better.

My main grip is endgame content, which mimics WoW to the bone : PvE raids, Arenas, Battlegrounds and Warplot. I don't have a problem with this but to me playing Wildstar like playing WoW with smartphone gameplay combat. I understand "it's all about choices" when it comes to which abilities you slot, I understand in WoW most of the time you don't hit more than 5 or 6 abilities, but to me it feels very dry and simplistic. I don't mind cartoon graphics (Chuas are awesome deal with it) and lore don't bother me, but combat gameplay, heh, I just can't stand it, it's like you're leveling a character in a MMO and half way into max level you can't "add" skills (and rotations, and choices) to your gameplay anymore. I had the same problem in both GW2 and TESO, when limiting my access to skills, rotations and choices become a feature. I don't want that feature, I want more choices.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Is the game DRASTICALLY different at level 15? Is it something you start noticing at level 15, or is it something you have realized on the way to 15?

Should I tough it out and get to level 15 to say I've experienced the real game? Level 20? What level? (I don't even know what the max is in OB. I'm not buying it for sure, but if the tutorial really is the worst thing on the planet (which I'd believe) I may be up for it.)

bayr_sl

shitlord
Is the game DRASTICALLY different at level 15? Is it something you start noticing at level 15, or is it something you have realized on the way to 15?

Should I tough it out and get to level 15 to say I've experienced the real game? Level 20? What level? (I don't even know what the max is in OB. I'm not buying it for sure, but if the tutorial really is the worst thing on the planet (which I'd believe) I may be up for it.)
It picks up when you get out of the tutorial, then around 10-12 the realization that all you're doing is really generic quest hubs sets in and it gets tiresome, then in late teens it kind of picks up a bit again as some more stuff opens up, then it goes back to shit when you hit a new zone and realize you'll be quest hubbing til 50.

By the very nature of the game you can't really be missing much by giving it a pass, you've probably already played this game before a couple different times.

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Fast review from someone who never really read up on this game, been playing for about 8 hours minus when the server went down for a minute.

-I like the cartoonish art style and the enviroments but even at highest settings the texture quality is shit.
-Yeah, tutorial.
-UI is simple. Maybe a bit cluttered from the get go but I like the customization.
-For being so action orientated the controls are sluggish and labored. This would work so much better with a controller rather than mouse/keyboard
-Fuck any mmo game with a "sprint" button. I either want to walk at 10% for show/videos or run at 100% (the rest of a game). Not slog around at 80% run speed and then hold down a button for an extra 20 for 5 seconds. Eat dick on that regard.
-The outlining on targets is awful looking and totally interrupts the art style visualization (maybe that was the purpose)

I realize it's been said a lot before but this should be f2p. Not subbed.

Zugarific

Molten Core Raider
Weren't they supposed to do some character wipes? Hadn't played in months and still have my characters. Still seems to run like shit on a rig it shouldn't too.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Should I tough it out and get to level 15 to say I've experienced the real game?
Yeah it kind of does actually. The shift depends partly on class as well, but 15 is mounts, housing, the adventure map and for a few classes ( like engineer ) a much more solid skillset.

I'd give it to 15, play with housing a bit, do the adventure - if you've done that and are uninterested, I'd drop it - none of the rest of it is going to improve in any significant way.

iannis

Musty Nester

It depends on your class. Stalker is basically the exact same at level 15 as at level 1. Warrior is just a long slog of suck. I read that spellslingers got de-nerfed, so maybe they're playable again. Medics get one of their class defining skills around 15 (or used to. I think it was 16, and they've probably moved it by now), so yeah that does change the game for them. Espers and Engineers are the two classes that shine the most, they have a fairly regular class growth up until 30. And then get more OP than other classes at 50.