Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
The game is just meh - its not on WoW's level and WoW is currently boring as shit right now. Its so boring its paid for 5 months and i wont log in but id log into that prior to playing this.

Funny thing is i still cant place a finger on why its so boring. I am guessing by now the walk/run animations have been fixed so they dont seem like they are prancing around. Combat however felt uninspired and boring the same as everything else.

I wont lie i only got up to level 20 but i didnt have fun at any point on the way up to it.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
I think they are aiming at WOW players with their endgame, but not taking into account a lot of them just won't have the patience for another grind very similar to WOW when they have so much time invested in Warcraft and probably other MMOs already. I think copying a quest hub game with a few features and different combat isn't going to do much to excite people. WOW's combat is really at the pinnacle of MMO design for me. I understand devs going a different route but so far nothing plays as well for me. I don't play WOW just because I find the quest and daily thing boring, and I don't have the time to raid like back in the day. I'm curious about their raiding, but it'd be tough to go to a game with a worse combat system but the exact same quest system for leveling.

The game is solid, but their timing is pretty awful. I've done the quest hub grind in WOW... In Rift...In GW2... to some degree in TESO and just really do not want another right now. I think they overvalue the summer vacation thing since most MMO players don't seem to be that young. I think their design team is good and they have a nice game, but as I've said before I'm not sure who exactly they will be able to hook.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I haven't played for a few months, since during closed beta, and wow this game runs a billion times smoother than it did then.

However with an NVidia GTX 770 I was having a crazy amount of screen flickering but updating to the newest beta drivers seems to have fixed it. It acts a little funny when I tab back in the game but that only lasts a few seconds and it goes back to normal.

Caliane

huh.
spellslinger dps at 50 is terrible?
At low levels, my dps has been very high. And I don't think I was abusing the barrage bug. didn't even know about it.
Looking at the forums, now though. seems a complaint. wonder what is wrong with the scaling.

I found esper ok to start. the basic attack was supplemented with tanks/mobile skills pretty quick.

Moving the moon base quest to really early in the game, would be a great idea. hopefully, into the first zone.
I really like that elite mob giving credit for 2-3 mobs on a kill count quest.

Big dev stream yesterday.
WildStar - WildStar Developers Unleashed! - Part 2 - Twitch
3:35:00 mark or so. Housing.
Seriously, This should be shown off more.
Hell, every landmark player should check it out, for ideas.

bayr_sl

shitlord
I've been saying it since I first played the game like a year ago, that they should have gone full ARPG-MMO hybrid. Maybe that's because it looks like Torchlight, but I've always thought it would have been appropriate if not straight up awesome.

- real action combat instead of this weak thinly veiled tab target thing. Think any game where mouse1/2 are bound straight to abilities, mouselook is default, etc.

- much much less questing and more dungeon grinding/exploring. I'll invoke Asheron's Call again. Big fucking leveling dungeons that are public, maybe some instances for story/campaign, but do not focus on linear 5 man runs, and fewer but really significant quests not just bear ass collection 1-50

- a soft trinity. Classes can be built like tanks, support healing, etc, but dungeons and content isn't tuned for 3 dps 1 tank 1 healer. The same way in an ARPG you can build just about any way you want. Just think of the variety of builds in games like Diablo 2. And resist the urge to ever design content for a particular group make up. Someone might say "GW2" which is essentially what I mean but just plain done better. GW2 is terrified of someone being a healer for example.

- remove dodge, or make it a limited ability. Dodge gameplay is just bad, it straight up ruins games. Movement related abilities are fine, but giving everyone dodge makes content all about dodge, and then you've made a terrible game. See: GW2, even single player games suffer from it like Witcher 2.

I don't know if people would sub to a game like that, but I would be way more interested in playing it than a WoW clone. There's a reason people invest countless hours into the ARPG formula. Add it to a huge seamless world, give it whatever MMO features you want like housing, crafting, etc. Take the rails off a bit and let people explore and find places and quests

Caliane

if you can figure out how to make an ARPG in a persistent world, large zones, and with quick reaction times without having Desync problems.
You will not just be the next Carmack, you should be working for nasa or something.

Its nice to say, but PoE, Diablo etc have a hard enough time with 8 players, in separate closed games. how the hell do you think they are going to get 200 players in one giant map, and have the client/server be able to communicate fast enough location/direction etc.

This game is also not tab targeted in the slightest.
Its entirely ground targeted. which lets them cheat the arpg/latency issue basically.

Should a few action skills be mapped to mouse by default? yes.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The music doesn't fit well with any area I've been too so far, other than the Cathedral in the Domi tutorial, that was great.

Mondo is really f-ing annoying, I guess an 8yr would find his "evil scientist" voice-overs to be funny.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
If they were really iterating on the genre, they would of had 20 levels, short leveling curve and let people do "end game things" very quickly and then spend time making more of them.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
My venom is non-lethal. And I typically don't bitch about games I don't like. Like, Wildstar. Don't like it. Maybe I'll try to get to level 3 tomorrow.
I'll say I'm one of the people who had a hard time not falling asleep during the first 10 levels of this game as well. It's like a flavorless mash. ESO was actually better, but the bugs and login/logout nature of that game made it not worth the effort.

To be totally honest, the highest character I've rolled was a Exile Engineer at 17 or so. It's much better and the game does open up as people said but I still haven't felt the need to log in and progress, especially when I found I was fighting vs other people for crafting resources. PvP ok.. but people stealing my crafting mats after I took the time to run over there?

I did two closed betas but realized I'd better stop playing if I have any hope of moving through this game later on during launch, because there is absolutely no way I'd level more than one character in this game under any circumstances.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
The music doesn't fit well with any area I've been too so far, other than the Cathedral in the Domi tutorial, that was great.
Ah, it doesn't bug me. I'm not a huge music in games person, but its tough playing this after Reaper of Souls. The music there is simply amazing for me.

I did two closed betas but realized I'd better stop playing if I have any hope of moving through this game later on during launch, because there is absolutely no way I'd level more than one character in this game under any circumstances.
The irking part is I'd like to do the raids, but I'm not sure I can stomach the leveling process. I'm not sure if geezerdom is overtaking me, but in the past I've enjoyed pushing to cap, even if the content is mediocre, but this year I'm just too lazy to play hard enough to do it, and not prepared to spend months and months as a dirty casual. It doesn't help when there's a bunch of fun single player games, and so many free to play variants out there.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
if you can figure out how to make an ARPG in a persistent world, large zones, and with quick reaction times without having Desync problems.
You will not just be the next Carmack, you should be working for nasa or something.
How would it be any different than a mass multiplayer FPS game? Have you tried Planetside 2? They pull it off.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
The irking part is I'd like to do the raids, but I'm not sure I can stomach the leveling process. I'm not sure if geezerdom is overtaking me, but in the past I've enjoyed pushing to cap, even if the content is mediocre, but this year I'm just too lazy to play hard enough to do it, and not prepared to spend months and months as a dirty casual. It doesn't help when there's a bunch of fun single player games, and so many free to play variants out there.
Right there with ya. It's not so much our age as our years of mmo experience. I don't want to grind through the same shit in a slightly different skin. Especially when there's no payoff.

What I'm waiting for is a western studio with decent funding and experience to do a perfect fusion of western/eastern that has all the standard shit we've come to expect and leaves out all the outdated shit that we don't need. Basically, if a company like Blizzard (vanilla WoW Blizzard) made a game like ArcheAge.

Jackdaddio_sl

shitlord
Right there with ya. It's not so much our age as our years of mmo experience. I don't want to grind through the same shit in a slightly different skin. Especially when there's no payoff.

What I'm waiting for is a western studio with decent funding and experience to do a perfect fusion of western/eastern that has all the standard shit we've come to expect and leaves out all the outdated shit that we don't need. Basically, if a company like Blizzard (vanilla WoW Blizzard) made a game like ArcheAge.
I just want a Red Dead Redemption-type mmo.

I mean, how hard can that really be to make? Pistols, shotguns, injuns, no magic... make it skill based to level the weapons up. Cook grub, craft with leather skins, ores, have a healer use snake-oil concoctions...

also, dueling would really be dueling. Pistols at dawn or high noon.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I just want a Red Dead Redemption-type mmo.

I mean, how hard can that really be to make? Pistols, shotguns, injuns, no magic... make it skill based to level the weapons up. Cook grub, craft with leather skins, ores, have a healer use snake-oil concoctions...

also, dueling would really be dueling. Pistols at dawn or high noon.
I'd play that. Anything new would be good. Myself I've been wanting a full mmo version of Vindictus for a long time. Hoping that Black Desert will be something like that, but it'll be so damn long before we see it. Western developers just don't seem to want to grow or evolve the genre at all.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
i think anyone that was in the closed beta for more than a month was here saying this game was going to shit the bed.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
- remove dodge, or make it a limited ability. Dodge gameplay is just bad, it straight up ruins games. Movement related abilities are fine, but giving everyone dodge makes content all about dodge, and then you've made a terrible game. See: GW2, even single player games suffer from it like Witcher 2.
This is such a good point, more devs need to learn this. There areveryfew games with a dodge mechanic that aren't annoying as fuck.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord
This is such a good point, more devs need to learn this. There areveryfew games with a dodge mechanic that aren't annoying as fuck.
Especially when you're a medic trying to heal tanks! Melee-range heals is a pain in the ass in this game because everyone's twitching everywhere.

Devnull_sl

shitlord
I'm not a fan of dodge mechanics at all, however I have played a few games where it works. But it only works when the game provides a second mechanic for active damage avoidance/mitigation that is mutually exclusive or inversely scales with the effectiveness of dodge. Dark Souls for example. You can wear less armor to be better at rolling or you can wear heavier armor and a shield and block the same damage. The problem with dodge in MMOs is that they typically balance around having to dodge with no alternative. The only real example of it done well in an MMO that I can think of is Guardian Fighter in Neverwinter. Unlike other classes, it had no dodge but instead can raise a shield to enter a blocking stance with alternate abilities and a resource mechanic built around it.

Rime

<Donor>
1) I have enjoyed the combat as an engineer. Being able to move while doing everything is a great feeling. I hate the 'stand still and cast' mechanic.
2) The game runs like arse. I am not having the DX9 problem, but there is just so much clutter everywhere, it ends up being more of a distraction than a 'This is pretty'.
3) Questing is the same as any other MMO.

It feels like WoW and Guild Wars 2 had a baby, but the baby was over protected, so they decided to start everything off so very slow.

Toxxulian_sl

shitlord
i think anyone that was in the closed beta for more than a month was here saying this game was going to shit the bed.
They've touched on the future of this game a few times, they seem to be aware of what needs to be done to keep people playing.

So far I've been thoroughly impressed with this game. WoW's combat smoothness and animations are what every game is compared to because it's that good. Wildstar is the only game I've played in the last 8 years that comes anywhere near WoW's silky smooth combat and animation responsiveness. The fundamentals are there, it just depends on what they do with it. The great thing is that this game doesn't have sync issues, there are no "mythic" seconds, no animation lock, nothing to fix in that department like ESO, swtor, etc had to do (and never will be able to completely fix).

As long as they keep doing what they are doing, this game will be a success.