Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
They've touched on the future of this game a few times, they seem to be aware of what needs to be done to keep people playing.

So far I've been thoroughly impressed with this game. WoW's combat smoothness and animations are what every game is compared to because it's that good. Wildstar is the only game I've played in the last 8 years that comes anywhere near WoW's silky smooth combat and animation responsiveness. The fundamentals are there, it just depends on what they do with it. The great thing is that this game doesn't have sync issues, there are no "mythic" seconds, no animation lock, nothing to fix in that department like ESO, swtor, etc had to do (and never will be able to completely fix).

As long as they keep doing what they are doing, this game will be a success.
I completely agree. I absolutely love the combat, the animations, the responsiveness and the synergy of the skills when you pair the right ones together. It's just fun and so well polished. If they can keep with their commitment of 30-day content patches, I can see myself playing this for awhile.

The biggest problem with Wildstar is how slowly they introduce the multitude of content layers to the player. This starts with the impressively bland tutorial... I still can't believe they're sticking with it. Combine that with the performance problems some folks are having, and that is a proverbial death kneel. Nothing is worse than a boring game that runs like shit.

Toxxulian_sl

shitlord
Yeah that isn't the best problem to have. Luckily the tutorial can be blown through in under 10 minutes and they are very aware of the graphics issues some people are having.

I've never understood why every single mmo sucks for the first 20 levels or so. Swtor was decent, but that was because lightsabers and the story was decent. I can't remember an mmo that was enjoyable before 20ish.

Column_sl

shitlord
I have no clue what they changed today, but my performance is god awful.

I have a beast of a machine, and never had any trouble in the other Betas. My ping to the server is low, and it says I'm still getting over 60 fps everywhere.

I'm now getting hitching, massive frame drops even tho the system says I'm not...

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm not a fan of dodge mechanics at all, however I have played a few games where it works. But it only works when the game provides a second mechanic for active damage avoidance/mitigation that is mutually exclusive or inversely scales with the effectiveness of dodge. Dark Souls for example. You can wear less armor to be better at rolling or you can wear heavier armor and a shield and block the same damage. The problem with dodge in MMOs is that they typically balance around having to dodge with no alternative. The only real example of it done well in an MMO that I can think of is Guardian Fighter in Neverwinter. Unlike other classes, it had no dodge but instead can raise a shield to enter a blocking stance with alternate abilities and a resource mechanic built around it.
That's how Tera did it, a long time before Neverwinter. Every class had slightly different mechanics, Lancers could block all damage with their shield, Berzerkers could block some damage with their 2H weapon, Warrior could dodge on a very short cd(or on no cd after the rework I believe), Slayers could dodge on a short cd and had a sprint, Archers could backflip pretty far but only backward and the cd was quite a bit longer, Sorcs had a slightly shorter cd backflip and also had a second backward blink+freeze spell, Priests had some sort of backwards blink with a fairly long cd and Mystics had a forward blink on a fairly long cd.

Devnull_sl

shitlord
That's how Tera did it, a long time before Neverwinter. Every class had slightly different mechanics, Lancers could block all damage with their shield, Berzerkers could block some damage with their 2H weapon, Warrior could dodge on a very short cd(or on no cd after the rework I believe), Slayers could dodge on a short cd and had a sprint, Archers could backflip pretty far but only backward and the cd was quite a bit longer, Sorcs had a slightly shorter cd backflip and also had a second backward blink+freeze spell, Priests had some sort of backwards blink with a fairly long cd and Mystics had a forward blink on a fairly long cd.
Yeah, you're right. Tera did that well before Neverwinter. I overlooked it because I think of them as more movement abilities rather than a built in dodge mechanic, but that's just semantics. Man, I loved the priest class in Tera. Wildstar medic wishes it could be half that cool.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I never gave TERA a chance because my computer was too shit at the time and it run like ass for me. Downloading client now. I want to see what this combat stuff is about.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, you're right. Tera did that well before Neverwinter. I overlooked it because I think of them as more movement abilities rather than a built in dodge mechanic, but that's just semantics. Man, I loved the priest class in Tera. Wildstar medic wishes it could be half that cool.
Well the blinks were movement abilities but the dodges had invuln frames(the blinks too in fact, just shorter and moving you instantly over long distances, similar to the mage dodge in neverwinter). It's really the same system, only that in Tera no class got fucked by having sprint as their "dodge" mechanic like Champions did.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I want to see what this combat stuff is about.
It's not bad until you figure some spells have animation lock (like Aion did). Then you wonder why it's called "action combat". Some people don't mind it. I personally find it completely unintuitive and gamebreaking, it's like watching some movie with 1 second autopause each 10 seconds.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
In order to have proper action combat, you need animation locks to some degree. It's just like any other fighter game.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In order to have proper action combat, you need animation locks to some degree. It's just like any other fighter game.
I think "Action combat" is the new cool term for "shitty korean MMO gameplay" where some game designers think it's quite fun watching your character sailormooning its way through the next mob after 5s of actual gameplay and 5s of "your character is beautiful, enjoy the scenery" moments. I even remember before Aion launch some GM saying animations "are like cutscenes, they bring strong narrative and cutting edge story development". If in 2014 you think it's awesome creating a gameplay when there are abilities which will lock your character to the ground like a giant, clueless, dumb parking meter, you should probably get a job in construction rather than poisoning the industry with your dinosaur game design concepts. And I'm talking about MMO, not fighting games.

ixian_sl

shitlord
I've never understood why every single mmo sucks for the first 20 levels or so. Swtor was decent, but that was because lightsabers and the story was decent. I can't remember an mmo that was enjoyable before 20ish.
I enjoyed the early levels of Rift until I realized how rote the rifts themselves were.
frown.png
I was always excited for zone events and such.

iannis

Musty Nester
DCUO was insane with animation locks. Knowing which you could clip and when. It was just sloppy, but they always claimed that was "meta design".

Oh bullshit, that's just sloppy. You might as well say, "stop being a poorfag and get a naga if you want to play our game".

Which Carbine actually sort of did. lol.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Holy performance! I have had -ZERO- performance issues with these settings in previous beta weekends but now it's stuttering left and right. What the hell changed? I can see what everyone's talking about now.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Holy performance! I have had -ZERO- performance issues with these settings in previous beta weekends but now it's stuttering left and right. What the hell changed? I can see what everyone's talking about now.
Sort of weird that it's the opposite for me. In the last beta weekend I was in, I was thinking my PC just wasn't strong enough to handle the game, but this weekend it's running really smooth for me on high. I'm also not having to wait 10-20 seconds for NPCs to appear every time I enter a new area.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone know of a pre-order deal going on right now? I'm really digging this game but i'd like to avoid paying $60+ if i can.

Column_sl

shitlord
Just the GMG 25% off they run all the time.

I got it when they were running that crazy deal for Wildstar that was 35 for the deluxe, so you might want to wait a couple days to see if they run it again.