Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah, it looks like Medic is what I will probably try based on the few previews I've seen so far. My favorite WoW toon was a shaman, as I typically like to heal in groups but still be able to dps when soloing. I really enjoyed Sorcerer in Tera - does the medic sound like a good fit? (Assuming someone has experience with the class)
Only a dozen levels or so: for what I read and tested, it's a short range (you're there with melees) AE healer, with wide telegraphs, it's extremely mobile and it gave a fun experience, but I couldn't level it much. I didn't like the sound fx of one or two spells (the probes are particularly annoying), but I hope those will be changed sooner or later, I don't think a human can like that sound. The dps abilties are good, if you like having a lot of ground target stuff with green ground effects that are... peculiar.

It's an enjoyable class that gives right away the sensation of a fluid gameplay, their basic spam attack (discharge) hits like a wet noodle compared to other classes (I swear I didn't parse, it was a sensation), but it makes up for it with gamma rays, which packs a punch.
Medics have also an awesome class skill that is either a dps cooldown or a healing cooldown depending on when you use it, and it's on a very short reuse timer (30s) lasting 10s, with a quite high uptime.

One of the reasons I'm still undecided between medic and esper is that medic heals are quite unique as they heal also shields and they can pull party members (up to 3 at once) to them ala wow priest Leap of Faith. Their class special is miles ahead, but seriously sound and spell fx are... difficult to accept for me. Check out some videos with audio and see for yourself.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Why would you say a thing like that?Why?
I'm not gonna take Gaffney defense, but this article looks awful on every level, with quotes out of fucking nowhere and typos with bad phrasing. It's PC Gamer, gaming journalists are the lowest form of life in journalism, most of them are unpaid interns, attentionwhores or fedora neckbeards. Those kind of articles look for sensationalism, with catchy titles like "CARBINE DEVELOPER SAYS WOW IS BAD WILDSTAR IS BETTER" or "GAFFNEY CALLS BLIZZARD A LAZY CUNT", preying for clicks like a hyena over baby rabbits. Some vidya journalists are nice, honest people but their profession is plagued by folks baiting for buzz. Nothing to see there, I don't like Wildstar at all but their PR is quite good. Unless Gaffney was high or drunk, I would take these kind of articles with a grain of salt.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
This game is going to be really interesting to track post launch. EverQuest fans never had the opportunity that Wildstar is providing to the people that desire a game with Vanilla WoW/TBC type difficulty and raid environment. It also has every feature you could hope for in a launch title, high presentation value, and a significant degree of polish. If it fails, I think it will cement the argument that this style of game if gone forever.

Personally, I think the game is pretty darn good and I really hope it does well. I hated it when I first tried it but, unlike TESO, my enjoyment has grown the more I've been exposed it, not lessened. There are things I like, things I don't, but the bottom line is that I'm having fun playing it. If they execute their launch well and stick to their post-launch plans, adding content every 4 weeks, I think they could end up doing pretty well for themselves.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
So, it's been a few months since I've played around with this. How is it now? Have they added more depth to combat and what not?

Soriak_sl

shitlord
I haven't done any of the PvP, but warplots sound like a lot of fun with a guild. The only concern I have there is that it depends on a healthy population level.

Also: the humor in the game is pretty good. I don't usually find myself entertained by quest text, but entering a new area as an exile has been great. I didn't play Dominion during the beta, but I suspect it's going to be rather similar in style?

For what it's worth, I've really enjoyed playing a Medic. I'll pick up the game shortly after launch when I have some time to play.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
As a vanilla WoW raider veteran my only response to this perspective is: "You failed already"
Its just WoWstar, and the loyalist will combat it even after that quote - Im tempted to log in just to see if they fixed the lame movement animations but with Destiny 4 months off its pointless to even bother.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
So despite not being super enthused I am gonna buy this I think. Just assuming I can get into a good raiding guild? Are we doing anything like that? i recall some people mentioning something many pages back...

I only played about 12 levels but likely going to play Medic also. I love healing and it seemed like one of the more fun healing classes I have seen recently. I don't really get why every class has to be able to fill two roles, I am fine with some healer being just healers with 2nd tier DPS at best.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
So despite not being super enthused I am gonna buy this I think. Just assuming I can get into a good raiding guild? Are we doing anything like that? i recall some people mentioning something many pages back...
I know a decent chunk of us are planning on making a guild, we've got about ~30 people confirmed to be playing and we'll certainly accept anyone from the board interested in playing. So far we have a crazy amount of Stalkers & Spellsingers. Apart from that we'll be going Dominion/PVE server for launch if you or anyone else is interested.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thats cool, I would def like to join up for it. is there someone to PM who is handling it?

Would be willing to play any healing class that the guild feels is needed but would prefer Medic if there is no strong preference.

Gecko_sl

shitlord
Haha, we havethequote:Wildstar developer says it wants to do WoW right this time | PC Gamer

Why would you say a thing like that?Why?
rrr_img_67123.jpg

Carl_sl

shitlord
You would say a thing like that because WoW was good and then they catered to players even lower on the casual -- hardcore scale and it ruined the game. If you aren't going full on "make it a world simulator" Wow is the king example for any mmo. If you say, "But I don't want more of the same!!!" then why are you in here? Are you stupid? We knew what it was from the get go.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
This game is going to be really interesting to track post launch. EverQuest fans never had the opportunity that Wildstar is providing to the people that desire a game with Vanilla WoW/TBC type difficulty and raid environment. It also has every feature you could hope for in a launch title, high presentation value, and a significant degree of polish. If it fails, I think it will cement the argument that this style of game if gone forever.
It feels like if anything this game loses more and more people the more that get to try it out. I was pretty hyped up about it but the game looks and sounds like a Disney channel space cartoon and its pretty bland in general imo.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
It feels like if anything this game loses more and more people the more that get to try it out. I was pretty hyped up about it but the game looks and sounds like a Disney channel space cartoon and its pretty bland in general imo.
I agree with this assessment. I'm only playing because the difficulty of the dunegons/raids sounds like Rift's 5 man shit at release and that was some of the most fun I've ever had in MMOs racing for firsts. Also a surprising number of people I respect like it more as they play it. But I gotta say the shit seems like a mediocre WoW in Space the first few levels and I am not holding out a ton of hope for any kind of longevity.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
I agree with this assessment. I'm only playing because the difficulty of the dunegons/raids sounds like Rift's 5 man shit at release and that was some of the most fun I've ever had in MMOs racing for firsts. Also a surprising number of people I respect like it more as they play it. But I gotta say the shit seems like a mediocre WoW in Space the first few levels and I am not holding out a ton of hope for any kind of longevity.
I think thats the only reason we are playing it also, just to do some progression racing and play something together.

PS to the angry anon person, we've been testing this piece of shit since last may in 2013

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
I have a 4 man group(3 hardcore raiders all the way back to EQ and 1 significant other) that I think I need to join a guild for release with. I know the three of us will be powering pretty hard at launch.

asfastasican_sl

shitlord
I'm not gonna take Gaffney defense, but this article looks awful on every level, with quotes out of fucking nowhere and typos with bad phrasing. It's PC Gamer, gaming journalists are the lowest form of life in journalism, most of them are unpaid interns, attentionwhores or fedora neckbeards. Those kind of articles look for sensationalism, with catchy titles like "CARBINE DEVELOPER SAYS WOW IS BAD WILDSTAR IS BETTER" or "GAFFNEY CALLS BLIZZARD A LAZY CUNT", preying for clicks like a hyena over baby rabbits. Some vidya journalists are nice, honest people but their profession is plagued by folks baiting for buzz. Nothing to see there, I don't like Wildstar at all but their PR is quite good. Unless Gaffney was high or drunk, I would take these kind of articles with a grain of salt.
I don't know about you, but I read the ESO article they wrote months ago and I thought it was the best written fluff piece I've ever read about a computer game. Hell, their review made ESO sound better than Skyrim!

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'll be up to join a guild at launch. I'll be out of the country during most of June, but I'll be hitting it hard when I get back near the end of month. I'm debating playing Stalker Tank or Esper. I have a few competent friends who will play as well.