Wildstar Launch Thread - Server: Stormtalon | Faction: Dominion

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I tried this game cause its free... God it's boring. I'd rather go work in my garden then do more of this quest hub boring shit.
Call it MMO burnout, but I'm with ya. I can't pinpoint why it's dull to me, it just is. Couple that with unable to join a guild and enjoy the social aspect, and I think guest passes are genuinely hurting their bottom line. It's like demoing the worst part of your game :*(

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Wait you hardly saw people? Man I saw people everywhere(especially the first few zones, those were packed to the bone). It wasn't until the 30ish zone that it seemed to spread out.
Its the same kind of unbelievable comment like the one from the guy who said he got so bored with Wildstar that he couldn't make it past level 2. I'm guessing they are all big fans of Utnayan.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
People defending this game remind me how people defended Rift when it launched. Wonder if this will have the same shelf life of that game.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Maybe its the fact that I am a veteran mmo player that stops me from getting past 13. This game is so fucking generic its painful. I haven't felt or done a single thing that I haven't done in games before. Maybe I do fucking hate this genre now, cause god this game feels fucking awful.

I really enjoyed gw2, so I was hoping that this game would at least interest me until max level or something...

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I guess I couldn't really disagree more. -shrug- I find calling it generic to be about the most ridiculous thing you could call this game of all the things to call it.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I guess I couldn't really disagree more. -shrug- I find calling it generic to be about the most ridiculous thing you could call this game of all the things to call it.
The quests are goddamn boring and generic. I don't see how you can even deny that.

I'm willing to trudge through the mostly boring solo leveling experience simply because I think the combat system alone makes group and raid encounters very interesting and fun. Also the Challenges do a decent job at breaking up the leveling monotony, for the most part.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
A quest I did last night had me tie a rocket to a pig and shoot it out of a cave. Your argument is invalid.
Oh you clicked on a glowing item with a gear above it and some animation happened. Thrilling.

Edit: Rereading that I think I'm just a jaded fuck like some of the others at this point. The last MMO I truly enjoyed leveling up in, and actually got a max level character in was SWTOR. The quests themselves were not anything new, but how they were presented was different and engaging enough to make me care about even the most boring quests. I got bored of Rift, even after making a fan forum for a class and everything...Couldn't even force myself to play past level 25~. I think in Guild Wars 2 I got to like level 38~ before getting bored. I'm wondering if I'll even enjoy EverQuest Next at this rate.

Again, I'll trudge my way to max level in this game simply because I think the combat system has a lot of potential. Whenever I start doing some solo questing I feel compelled to come talk about the game more than I do to play it.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Oh you clicked on a glowing item with a gear above it and some animation happened. Thrilling.
At some point you can dilute any game down to keyboard presses and mouse movements. I'm here to tell you, you've reached it. Congrats!

Edit based on above edit: I can appreciate that. I think with how many MMOs that have been released in the last 15 years, people have really honed in on what they like/don't like. They have strong opinions on what makes great questing, art style, mechanics, etc. That's why there are so many varying opinions on this forums on a game that is really pretty good. Is it for everyone? Clearly not and, ultimately, it shouldn't be.

Toxxulian_sl

shitlord
People defending this game remind me how people defended Rift when it launched. Wonder if this will have the same shelf life of that game.
But this game is actually good. Combat is smoother, animations are superior, etc. And there is stuff to do at the endgame. These two games are not even in the same universe as each other.

IF Carbine can keep up with content this game has a great life a head of it.

Those complaining about the low levels are clearly confused, this is by far the most transparent game / company i've ever dealt with. Every. Single. Person. Playing this game right now knew exactly what it was / is going to be. A fantastically polished themepark mmo. If you are looking for a WoW / Rift / swtor / insert themepark mmo here but released with more content / old school raiding and more shit to do than all of those combined then this is the game for you. If you can't stomach this type of game why the fuck and how the fuck did you get here? Go back to ESO, or go get Archeage if you are looking for your realistic graphics and or more sand box game (i love AA btw).

Nothing here should be out of left field, we all knew what this game is going to be like, and I am enjoying the fuck out of it.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I think once I hit level 30 I'll do a review. The game isn't perfect, but I think it's core systems are solid. So basically with some adjusting, trimming, etc, it would be a fantastic MMO.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I think once I hit level 30 I'll do a review. The game isn't perfect, but I think it's core systems are solid. So basically with some adjusting, trimming, etc, it would be a fantastic MMO.
Please do. The main reason I read these forums is to get opinions on possible fixes to my MMO habit. If I still hear enough good things when I'm done moving in a few weeks (especially the later level stuff) I may pick it up. I fully understand that I can't give this game an honest, fair review while shackled with a buddy account.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
So since the DPS queues for instances while leveling up (I'm 35, and they've sucked exponentially more ass as I go) suck ass, I'm gonna try tanking. Anyone have any tips for a Stalker tank around level 35? What skills to slot, AMP usage, etc. I think I have a reasonably good setup right now, but who the fuck knows. This game is using a part of my brain that hasn't been used much lately in gaming. Mostly the limited skill selection.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Can we just have a label we can slap on posts that says:

YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS. THIS GAME IS FUN WITH FRIENDS.
YOU WILL NOT HAVE AS MUCH FUN. MAKE SOME FRIENDS TO PLAY WITH OR SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Friends means you aren't alone, grinding shit, you're talking about loot, bullshitting, etc, and you and your besties have shit to look forward end game. If you're a fucking 40 year old dangus playing alone, yeah, the games not going to be as fun unless you're an immersion weirdo. And those should've died in 2004.

blank_sl

shitlord
Boring? There's literally more to do in this game then most others I've ever played. I dunno, I guess what is it that you're looking for in a game?
Idiots like you are why developers try making apps with 1000 features, and the app fails because it has no core value. This game is a hollow wow clone reskin, anyone claiming otherwise has blinders on.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Friends means you aren't alone, grinding shit, you're talking about loot, bullshitting, etc, and you and your besties have shit to look forward end game. If you're a fucking 40 year old dangus playing alone, yeah, the games not going to be as fun unless you're an immersion weirdo. And those should've died in 2004.
This is a stupid ass reason to say a game is good. I do all the above regardless of what game I'm playing. Hell, I'll do the above shit if I'm jerking off.

Xevy

Log Wizard
This is a stupid ass reason to say a game is good. I do all the above regardless of what game I'm playing. Hell, I'll do the above shit if I'm jerking off.
It's not a reason it's good. It's a reason why people think it's bad.