Will Wight

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Finished Uncrowned over the weekend. All I can say is that I look forward to these books as much (or maybe more now, with the huge time gap) as new Dresden. Even if they are shorter than I like, or rushed, or end in the middle of a ton of cliffhangers, I still devour these books like nothing else, and I want more and more. Even if they are mostly just different versions of powering up, sort of like collecting rat asses in an MMO, and then later you come back and collect giant rat asses at a higher level. Obviously his books are far more interesting than that, but you get the point. I loved this book, and I can't see myself not loving all the future books too. A lot of series tend to peter out the longer they go on, but these are just as good as the beginning, arguably better in many ways.

I too was disappointed with the ending of the match, but we have to assume there is a reason for it, and that it will be great to read about, so I'm not too salty about it. A little, though.
Hes basically the only author in whatever the “progression fantasy” genre is that isn’t complete trash.
I’m with you, I may nitpick certain aspects but overall it’s one of the series that I most look forward to the next installment. And even though they are on the short side, they are on KU and he puts them out pretty fast.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Looks like a solid amount of his stuff for $5. First Cradle book for $2.95.
Quick read through here makes it sounds like Cradle series is his best stuff?

Ps no fucking idea why these links always show as french for me. It will take you to the English stuff..

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yeah cradle is his best for sure. Elder empire is pretty good too, and travelers gate is a bit rough around the edges but is still worth reading if you end up liking his other stuff

Antithesis

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Just read Uncrowned, best in the series so far. Spoilers ahead:

I know that isn't a popular take but I see it differently than 'what power up this volume' so much as how much has the main character progressed: from the scheming, conniving worm dependent on the protection of others to the young man trying to help others, even in defeat.. he thinks of his adopted family, his girl, strangers. The 'power' of the power fantasy is ancillary, metaphorical for the strength a man must possess to meet the obligations he takes on in life.

The final battle is actually a sex scene of sorts "Pull it all out! Let me see it!" Lindon didn't know how to respond, but she wasn't waiting on him.' All the laughing, and talk of pushing and pulling and Yerin's POV as she sees Lindon as a dark god of sorts. Yes that's all sex, symbolic of both characters leaving childhood behind. It is so overtly obvious I am disappointed his critics didn't see it, or maybe they are just in denial.

As far as cliffhangers, well, he gave you the best fight scene of the series by far, what more did you want? Its a very solid book for the price and contains depths below the initial superficial read.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Just read Uncrowned, best in the series so far. Spoilers ahead:

I know that isn't a popular take but I see it differently than 'what power up this volume' so much as how much has the main character progressed: from the scheming, conniving worm dependent on the protection of others to the young man trying to help others, even in defeat.. he thinks of his adopted family, his girl, strangers. The 'power' of the power fantasy is ancillary, metaphorical for the strength a man must possess to meet the obligations he takes on in life.

The final battle is actually a sex scene of sorts "Pull it all out! Let me see it!" Lindon didn't know how to respond, but she wasn't waiting on him.' All the laughing, and talk of pushing and pulling and Yerin's POV as she sees Lindon as a dark god of sorts. Yes that's all sex, symbolic of both characters leaving childhood behind. It is so overtly obvious I am disappointed his critics didn't see it, or maybe they are just in denial.

As far as cliffhangers, well, he gave you the best fight scene of the series by far, what more did you want? Its a very solid book for the price and contains depths below the initial superficial read.

Just like Twilight, it's all metaphorical.

One (of the many) things I like about the series is how little shipping/harem building/romance subplots it has. I love The Dresden Files but goddamn it gets distracting having him get chased around by a dozen different flavors of femme fatale even if that's a very old detective story trope.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Not to end in the middle of the book to maintain a word count? It’s lazy when any other author does it, and it was lazy here.

• 1Solidarity

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Not to end in the middle of the book to maintain a word count? It’s lazy when any other author does it, and it was lazy here.
It also lets him switch themes. Uncrowned is all about progression, getting ready to win the tournament.
And book 8 is a different beast, since he's out of the tournament, and he now has to help Yerin to progress and overcome the tournament. For the first time, it's not about him, it's about helping her. Because it no longer matters - in the short term - how much he progresses now.

At least that's what I assume to be a major theme of book 8. Which is why I see it warrants being a separate book.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
The last two books of Elder empire released last week:

• 1RAGE

Ceowulff

Blackwing Lair Raider
When I got the alert for a new post in this thread I was so stoked to come read about book 8 coming out soon... sad times.

How does this series stack up to cradle? Worth reading as well?

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yeah I think it’s pretty good. I’m not sure I like it quite as much as Cradle, but it has the same progression theme.

Rime

<Donor>
86c71fxe3tu41.jpg

The Elder Empire series is not bad, but it is two different books that tell the same story from different perspectives. I usually read the female/Assassin side and just skip over the male/Pirate side, because the Assassin one is the first that I picked up. Life is relatively too short for me to read books like that.

• 1Worf

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
View attachment 266309

The Elder Empire series is not bad, but it is two different books that tell the same story from different perspectives. I usually read the female/Assassin side and just skip over the male/Pirate side, because the Assassin one is the first that I picked up. Life is relatively too short for me to read books like that.
Yeah the premise of the split books was interesting to start, but definitely got annoying fast. I wouldn’t recommend reading only one side though, there’s quite a bit of interesting information that doesn’t get put into both sides of the books

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
And also, think of his books like Brandon Sanderson’s cosmere, all 3 of his series’ are in the same universe and we are likely to see characters start to meet in later Cradle books

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
The last two books of Elder empire released last week:

FUCK YOU RITLEY!!!!

giphy.gif

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
When I got the alert for a new post in this thread I was so stoked to come read about book 8 coming out soon... sad times.
Dedication was already posted, but there's another reference in the blooper section:

dmcy8d56o0v41.jpg

How does this series stack up to cradle? Worth reading as well?
I think anything by Will is probably worth reading.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrysB

Trakanon Raider
For anyone that's interested. Elder Empire is free this weekend.

• 1Like

Zyke

Silver Knight of the Realm
Is it worth reading? I really like his cradle books. My only real complaint about them is that the last one felt really overpriced with how short it was, though the content itself was great.

Rime

<Donor>
The biggest issue with the Elder Empire series is that the story is split into two sets of books. To get the 'whole' picture, you have to read both sets of books, which spend a portion rehashing what has happened in the other novel from the protagonists point of view.

They were not bad books, but I did not enjoy the split thing.

---

Will is getting a chunk of blowback from his Cradle fanbase. He has stated that he intentionally keeps his books small and ends up trimming so much content from them to keep them small, which is why they are taking longer to put out.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Will is getting a chunk of blowback from his Cradle fanbase. He has stated that he intentionally keeps his books small and ends up trimming so much content from them to keep them small, which is why they are taking longer to put out.
He's also taking out less in Wintersteel. Usually, he spends more time on draft 1 because he trims the action a lot while writing, then more on draft 2 because he's cut too much. This time, he simply wrote, which might have gotten us through draft 1 faster.
I've been working on the second draft of Wintersteel, which is currently at 143,452 words. Making it the longest book I've ever written.

Naturally, I don't know what the final word count will be once I'm through with editing. Usually my books get longer during the editing portion, but the first draft is also usually a lot shorter than this, so we might have to cut significantly. Not sure yet.

But at the moment, I can tell you this thing has some meat on its bones.

By contrast, the three longest Cradle books currently are Blackflame at 111k words, Underlord at 103k words, and then Uncrowned at 93k words.

Wintersteel will almost certainly stay the longest of the series so far, even if we cut it all the way back to the 120k range, but I'll be interested to see where it ends up.

• 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Fags bumping this thread made me think that Cradle was out.

Fuck y'all. The lovecraftian pirate books he writes are just okay. I read the first two... no desire to read any of the others.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users