Will Wight

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I like the story part of elder empire quite a bit, but don’t really like the way they are written. As Rime said, each book was essentially split into two and all of one side’s POVs are in one book and the rest are in the other. So you have 6 books that are really three, with each set of 2 being mostly overlapping timeframes.

I still think they are worth reading though, just would have been much more enjoyable as 3 books edited down

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
So you have 6 books that are really three, with each set of 2 being mostly overlapping timeframes.
Yea, I consider that one of those "literary exercises" where you push your writing around a specific gimmick, no matter what.

Almost every major author ends up doing it at one point, so it's a phase, like teenage rebellion or something. You say "okay", then move on.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yea, I consider that one of those "literary exercises" where you push your writing around a specific gimmick, no matter what.

Almost every major author ends up doing it at one point, so it's a phase, like teenage rebellion or something. You say "okay", then move on.
Yeah it really did end up being gimmicky and I think he realized it, which is why it took him so long to finish the last duo. It wouldn’t surprise me if he had intended for it to be more than a trilogy to begin with but he didn’t like the style. Now that story arc is complete, if he wants to pick up the characters or world again he can write them normal. But I think we won’t see them until some point later in the Cradle series.

The most interesting part of the story is getting to see what the Fiends (great elders) the Abidan are fighting are like when confined to an instance.

• 2Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
But I think we won’t see them until some point later in the Cradle series.

The most interesting part of the story is getting to see what the Fiends (great elders) the Abidan are fighting are like when confined to an instance.
That almost warrants a specific independent series.

• 2Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
That almost warrants a specific independent series.
Yeah it will be interesting to see how they play out. The fiends on asylum are apparently on the same power levels as judges based on the information from blackflame.

True Fiends defy classification by nature, and the only individuals known capable of threatening Judges remain imprisoned in Asylum.

Its one of the reasons that I think if you are interested in the abidan universe he is creating that you really should read elder empire. Travelers gate series is also on an iteration, but from what we’ve seen so far from the series it doesn’t really have system wide implications.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Now that Subterranean Press is done with the Malalan series I need them to get to work on some Will Wight. Just finished rereading Book 7 hoping that this would be released soon!

• 1Solidarity

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Boom baby! Took the day off work to get some quiet reading. And right off the bat he addresses the Sword Sage!

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Finished it, one of my favorites yet.

I definitely didn’t see the role reversal coming where Yerin abandons trying to be a sage and is instead going the herald route while London heads toward sage.

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Finished it, one of my favorites yet.

I definitely didn’t see the role reversal coming where Yerin abandons trying to be a sage and is instead going the herald route while London heads toward sage.
I honestly thought Herald/Sage was just another rung on the ladder. I had no idea that they were completely separate in this way.

If I was any of these people I'd be pretty terrified to hear, "Gratitude" from Lindon lol.

Fuck some dragons.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I honestly thought Herald/Sage was just another rung on the ladder. I had no idea that they were completely separate in this way.

If I was any of these people I'd be pretty terrified to hear, "Gratitude" from Lindon lol.

Fuck some dragons.
The herald/sage thing has always been a bit under explained (intentionally I’m sure). I’m still not 100% sure - Seems like Heralds are archlords that then merge with their own remnants to become heralds, and then become monarchs by manifesting an Icon. Sages are just Archlords that manifest an icon. Can Sages then go to monarch? I think Will Wight had said in the past that Sage was the end of the progression path for those that went that way, but maybe that’s just on Cradle. If they Ascend I’m sure they can still progress. Or more likely he changed his mind.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>

"We thought the increased security this time would teach you a lesson.”

Lindon pressed his fists together. “I did learn quite a bit. Gratitude.”

• 1Worf

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
You guys missed the best parts of the whole book!

..."and see a barber! Your hair lacks fullness and definition!" Come on! That was just plain funny as shit!

Eithan's entry into the arena was just straight pimp material. I chuckled

So is Lindon a Sage? He has the icon now. Though I doubt it. Plus the deal with the badge. Herald level?

I LOVE that they explained the Sword Sage's death. Nightstrder and Fury. Glad we got to see a bit more of them.

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
Lindon missed out on a prime opportunity for a guilt-free threesome there 8).

Also Malice thinking that being married to Fury would be a reward is pretty funny, even if he did get the comedy highlight of the book
'To see that look on your face'
Lool

Overall a great addition to the series.

• 1Solidarity