Will Wight

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Rime

<Donor>
Could not finish the Traveler's Gate trilogy... the writing is just so poor.

Elder Empire was quite enjoyable, however.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Next book is out, Underlord
Loved it. It amazes me how he can essentially just write another way to "level up" every fucking book, and it is still like crack cocaine to me. Part of me wants to finally reach the end, and part of me wants him to keep writing these forever.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Hmm, since this is all Will Wight shit, I read the Traveler's Gate stuff last year, and I really enjoyed it as well. Not up to Cradle level, but still worth the read, and I'd love to see more books in that series once he's done with Cradle. I can see where it might not be for everyone, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The guy comes up with some crazy "magic" systems, that's for fucking sure.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Hmm, since this is all Will Wight shit, I read the Traveler's Gate stuff last year, and I really enjoyed it as well. Not up to Cradle level, but still worth the read, and I'd love to see more books in that series once he's done with Cradle. I can see where it might not be for everyone, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The guy comes up with some crazy "magic" systems, that's for fucking sure.
Yeah it’s pretty good but it’s definitley obvious that it’s his first series.

If you haven’t checked it out already, his other series is pretty well done. It’s called Elder Empire, and it’s kind of a weird setup where each release is 2 books during the same timeframe, one from each of the main characters PoV. It’s cool but at the same time you can tell it’s slowing him down a lot to write 2 POV books for each release.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah it’s pretty good but it’s definitley obvious that it’s his first series.

If you haven’t checked it out already, his other series is pretty well done. It’s called Elder Empire, and it’s kind of a weird setup where each release is 2 books during the same timeframe, one from each of the main characters PoV. It’s cool but at the same time you can tell it’s slowing him down a lot to write 2 POV books for each release.
Yeah, I am aware of them, and have them on my Kindle, but they never really inspired me to start them over all the other stuff I have to read. Eventually I'll read them someday, I'm sure.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Loved it. It amazes me how he can essentially just write another way to "level up" every fucking book, and it is still like crack cocaine to me. Part of me wants to finally reach the end, and part of me wants him to keep writing these forever.

I mean he easily could. Right now underlord is the highest any of the characters are, and the highest we’ve seen on Cradle is Monarch, and the progression is Underlord - Overlord - Archlord - Herald - Monarch. That’s easily 4-5 books, and then who knows how far it is from Monarch to Judge

• 2Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I mean he easily could. Right now underlord is the highest any of the characters are, and the highest we’ve seen on Cradle is Monarch, and the progression is Underlord - Overlord - Archlord - Herald - Monarch. That’s easily 4-5 books, and then who knows how far it is from Monarch to Judge
Speaking of, where does Sage fit into that? I'm pretty sure Sage is sort of a sideways achievement, but I've always wondered where it falls. Like, could an underlord become a Sage, or do you have to be a specific level before that's even possible? And does it grant extra abilities (seems that it might), or is it more of a title than any actual progression level?

When I get a chance I'll google it, I'm sure someone has asked the same question.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Speaking of, where does Sage fit into that? I'm pretty sure Sage is sort of a sideways achievement, but I've always wondered where it falls. Like, could an underlord become a Sage, or do you have to be a specific level before that's even possible? And does it grant extra abilities (seems that it might), or is it more of a title than any actual progression level?

When I get a chance I'll google it, I'm sure someone has asked the same question.
From what I understand, a sage is a specialized archlord. They are more powerful than archlords and can rival Heralds. Don’t think it’s ever really been explained to the extent of whether sages can advance or if they are kind of dead ends for people that wouldn’t be able to progress to herald or monarch.

• 2Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
From what I understand, a sage is a specialized archlord. They are more powerful than archlords and can rival Heralds. Don’t think it’s ever really been explained to the extent of whether sages can advance or if they are kind of dead ends for people that wouldn’t be able to progress to herald or monarch.
You answered it, but since I was poking around, I found this site: Cradle - Abidan Archive

One of the questions was
Questioner

So, in Cradle, what are Sages exactly?

Will Wight

Sages are Archlords who have achieved [something special] that sets them apart from their peers. There are levels above Archlord, but Sages are actually more rare than the stage immediately over Archlord. It's easier to advance than to distinguish yourself and become a Sage.

source
Doesn't specifically answer whether or not they can still advance, but I'd say it sounds like they can.

• 2Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Guess it’s like stopping at level 60 for AAs before plowing on to level cap

• 2Like

velk

Trakanon Raider

There's no really any comparison; the entirety of cradle is the kiddie pool, you don't even qualify on the scale until you leave under your own power. Judge is the top power level of an intergalactic civilization.

I strongly suspect Lindon has ninja'ed a massive shortcut though - having a stable auxiliary mind seems to be a common factor among all the galactic level players, I'd bet it's a requirement for access to the Way.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Worth reading through if you are interested in his work, but you have to wade through the retarded and cringe questions to get there:

Cradle - Abidan Archive

Has some interesting things, like Suriel being the one who banished the great elders (from elder empire series) into their current world

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
There's no really any comparison; the entirety of cradle is the kiddie pool, you don't even qualify on the scale until you leave under your own power. Judge is the top power level of an intergalactic civilization.

I strongly suspect Lindon has ninja'ed a massive shortcut though - having a stable auxiliary mind seems to be a common factor among all the galactic level players, I'd bet it's a requirement for access to the Way.
Even leaving doesn’t mean you are on he same scale as the abidan. Will Wight has said that the sword sage could have left if he wanted, as can the monarchs

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Even leaving doesn’t mean you are on he same scale as the abidan. Will Wight has said that the sword sage could have left if he wanted, as can the monarchs

I was wondering when they became aware of...the rest of the universe.

Anyway. Best Cradle book so far. WW keeps finding ways to make leveling up exciting. "He pulled out a canon." was up there with Matt Cauthon trying to avoid fights at Dumani's Well (spelling). "Then things really got hairy".

I don't understand the Lindon selection to fight for the Akura clan. I thought the competition was for exactly that. To represent the Akura clan. So each kingdom gets a team? Akura was just looking to pluck the best to make sure they represented well as a clan?

And speaking of sword Sage! Now that we know the power levels...HTF did the Sword Sage die again?

He can write ten more books and I will eat them up.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
Love his writing. Dakota Krout has a series that has similar "power progression" in it as well, Dungeon Calamity or whatever.

He can right ten more books and I will eat them up.

Same here. Also they poisoned the sword sages food to weaken him

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
Anyway. Best Cradle book so far. WW keeps finding ways to make leveling up exciting. "He pulled out a canon." was up there with Matt Cauthon trying to avoid fights at Dumani's Well (
All the best martial arts duels are resolved with a railgun to the face ;p

I lol'ed.

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Worth reading through if you are interested in his work, but you have to wade through the retarded and cringe questions to get there:

Cradle - Abidan Archive

Has some interesting things, like Suriel being the one who banished the great elders (from elder empire series) into their current world

This is amazing. He gives straight answers unless it will spoil future writings.

• 1Like