Will Wight

Mandriana

Mandriana Mandriana
I don't think that's the case. This series has a powerful Achilles heel in that the Abidan stuff has not really been developed on at all. This book was one of the first to touch on it. From what the Monarchs and especially Northstrider have mentioned ascending to the Heavens does not necessarily mean improvement.

Akura Charity said that all of the Akura Clan that reaches Archlord (guess there were a ton of them too) and are not marked for higher positions in the clan are strongly encouraged to ascend. The Abidan has always taken them. The Monarchs resist ascension themselves because most of them would rather be the king of the small fish than a smaller fish in a bigger pond. Which is petty and makes sense. But Northstrider seems to believe he can overcome this.

Ghostwater and the byproduct of Dross were all around creating one of the Abidan's primary advantages before ascension. Which Northstrider has in the form of the Oracle Codex. His just lacks independent and creative thought like Dross has. Which is why he wants to replicate it.

What I take from this is that ascension without having an edge beyond that of Monarch means you get to be a loser foot soldier. All of the Monarchs had complete disdain for The Hound despite The Hound being able to kill all of them with a passing thought.

While The Hound has the ability to slay one of the Dreadgods I am willing to bet Subject One is something that even the Abidan fear.
My thought on Lindon working his way up to the Reaper role is that his Void ability to completely eliminate/absorb madra to the point reminants don't manifest seems very similar to the abilities of Ozriel to eliminate iterations without contamination spread. They both have this unique power, are both from Cradle, and since Ozriel has been missing (being busy with Asylum and Urg'naut) the Abidan need a new Reaper.

Subject One is very likely an Elder, imprisoned like the seven on Asylum

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
My thought on Lindon working his way up to the Reaper role is that his Void ability to completely eliminate/absorb madra to the point reminants don't manifest seems very similar to the abilities of Ozriel to eliminate iterations without contamination spread. They both have this unique power, are both from Cradle, and since Ozriel has been missing (being busy with Asylum and Urg'naut) the Abidan need a new Reaper.

Subject One is very likely an Elder, imprisoned like the seven on Asylum

Pretty much this...

Will Wight puts out fun as hell books, but he is following the formula. Ozriel is missing, in steps Lindon. New book series called "The Void Encounters!"

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I get the feeling that he wrote himself in to a corner with Yerin’s Goldsign or something. It is barely mentioned or used in fights and completely ignored in normal settings. Just seemed odd from the start, like oh here’s this person walking around with all these swords protruding from their back.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I get the feeling that he wrote himself in to a corner with Yerin’s Goldsign or something. It is barely mentioned or used in fights and completely ignored in normal settings. Just seemed odd from the start, like oh here’s this person walking around with all these swords protruding from their back.
Nah. Easily remedied with a couple lines:

"Yerin where is your goldsign?" asks Lindon
"Here". responds Yerin. Her goldsign phase into being. "As a Herald I can hide them."
Or even explain it with her joining with the bloody Yerin.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Nah. Easily remedied with a couple lines:

"Yerin where is your goldsign?" asks Lindon
"Here". responds Yerin. Her goldsign phase into being. "As a Herald I can hide them."
Or even explain it with her joining with the bloody Yerin.

Oh yeah, I think that’d be a cool direction moving forward or even

have them be floating manifestations surrounding her like Lindon’s Archlord weapon that she can summon/dismiss.

I just meant more in the in between and last couple books.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Oh yeah, I think that’d be a cool direction moving forward or even

have them be floating manifestations surrounding her like Lindon’s Archlord weapon that she can summon/dismiss.

I just meant more in the in between and last couple books.

Ahhhhh. Gotcha.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Ten days later, eight books gone. I fucking hate having to wait for series in progress. I got SO burned by the Wheel of Time as a kid. Fortunately, Wight seems unlikely to spontaneously die (Jordan) or stop writing (Martin).

Guess... who is tinkering with power magical armor right now? And got an extra Uncrowned crown to link to his soul?

Lindon is going to soulforge the whole team into Voltron.

Last edited:
  • 1Double Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Jox

Molten Core Raider
Just started in on book 8 and regarding the sage stuff.

There is confirmation that sage can keep advancing very early in the book. When Dross is giving Northstrider's memory of advancing to Monarch, the opening sentence calls him the sage of the hungering deeps. It might just be unique to people who are both a sage and can utilize hunger madra to drain a herald, so it's nearly a statistical impossibility but that's Lindon in a nutshell.

• 2Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Just started in on book 8 and regarding the sage stuff.

There is confirmation that sage can keep advancing very early in the book. When Dross is giving Northstrider's memory of advancing to Monarch, the opening sentence calls him the sage of the hungering deeps. It might just be unique to people who are both a sage and can utilize hunger madra to drain a herald, so it's nearly a statistical impossibility but that's Lindon in a nutshell.

Great catch!!!

Ceowulff

Blackwing Lair Raider
Out of nowhere... Next book in the Cradle series, Bloodline is coming out April 6th.

He had said earlier this year that he was going to get it out "sometime this year" and was taking a three month break and now boom! New book!

Can't wait.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Out of nowhere... Next book in the Cradle series, Bloodline is coming out April 6th.

He had said earlier this year that he was going to get it out "sometime this year" and was taking a three month break and now boom! New book!

Can't wait.
"I was bored during my vacation"

• 1Like

Rime

<Donor>
I enjoyed the book, but it felt like a drop in quality from the previous few.

I did not enjoy how much time they spent in the Sacred Valley. Also, Yerrin now talks less like a rough-cut, under educated person and more like a country yocal.

• 1Solidarity

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I did not enjoy how much time they spent in the Sacred Valley. Also, Yerrin now talks less like a rough-cut, under educated person and more like a country yocal.
I blame Ruby.

• 1Worf

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I think the entire arc with Sacred Valley fucked up. It opened a lot doors on various long running plots but making the Wandering Titan into a desperate escape attempt was just silly. They should have just used the Bleeding Phoenix again if they were doing that. Or one of the other two Dreadgods that haven't received a lot of book time.

Every mention of the Wandering Titan is that it is super super slow. Just inevitable. One moment its hundreds of miles from Sacred Valley sleeping in the ocean or whatever it was doing. 72 hours later its in Sacred Valley wrecking everything.

I get that he needed to create drama but it wasn't really done in a meaningful way. By all accounts the Wandering Titan straight up sprinted into Sacred Valey.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

velk

Trakanon Raider
I felt bad for the Titan, poor guy, all he wants is a snack and nice lie down but he can't find his house and people keep attacking him for no reason ! ;p

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Finally got around to reading this.

Not his best book. The book felt like a setup for book 10. Also the book felt rushed.

The whole Titan arc was meh. WW also went against the whole "If dude is more powerful than you..." thing. Sacred Valley, to a man should have seen Lindon as Jesus Christ. Period. Not even have the will to scheme against him.

The best parts of the book were the Lindon and Charity conversation. The Mad King back story, and of course Eithan's haircut. The pep talk with Lindon from Suriel was boring. Though her giving him a glimpse of his possible futures was cool.

Abandon Cradle? Really? WW emphasized time and time again how important Cradle is...They are now on their own.

6/10 as none of the previous books were below an 8.

• 2Solidarity