Windows 10

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The most jarring thing so far is this fucking white title bar color. Why in the hell would you make that the default, and then worse, something that you can't change?

Edit: Found the workaround for it. That's a giant pain in the ass for something that shouldn't be the default to begin with.
The white doesn't bother me, but the lack of differentiation between inactive window and active window title bars does.

BTW, Edge has a Dark Theme, which makes it look almost exactly like Steam.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
The most jarring thing so far is this fucking white title bar color. Why in the hell would you make that the default, and then worse, something that you can't change?

Edit: Found the workaround for it. That's a giant pain in the ass for something that shouldn't be the default to begin with.
Whats the workaround? been bugging me as well but never bothered to look for a fix

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
The white doesn't bother me, but the lack of differentiation between inactive window and active window title bars does.
Not having used 10 yet, I am picturing something similar to the latest Office redesign, which annoys the fuck out of me. I can never tell which title bar is the one I want to click on if I have a bunch of stuff overlapping. Beyond stupid.

That being said, I'm eager to upgrade to 10 when I get a chance.

escrima

Vyemm Raider
Anyone having issues with the Windows 10 downloader not creating viable USB boot images? I can create a DVD that boots. When I attempt to make a USB with the MS tool, it either throws the error "An error Occurred" or the process just crashes, both at around 35-50% of writing it to the USB. I have also created a USB from the ISO image from different machines and they all refuse to boot any machine I try to boot with them.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not sure if it's worth asking here, but has anyone else had issues with typing in the search bar on Chrome? I'm hoping this isn't related to the fix to the white title bar above.

Basically whenever I start typing, after about 7-8 characters they stop showing up in the search bar. It's almost like Chrome is caching or something. Occasionally after waiting a few seconds it'll catch up, but not all the time. It's annoying as fuck though, because I can't see what I'm typing.

Maybe this is their plan to get me using Edge?

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone having issues with the Windows 10 downloader not creating viable USB boot images? I can create a DVD that boots. When I attempt to make a USB with the MS tool, it either throws the error "An error Occurred" or the process just crashes, both at around 35-50% of writing it to the USB. I have also created a USB from the ISO image from different machines and they all refuse to boot any machine I try to boot with them.
I had the same problem with the USB thing. Got an error saying something about modern something error. I just needed up making a DVD iso for the fresh install.

Also do a dxdiag to make sure you have dx12. Both my machines stayed at 11.3 until I did a fresh install.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I made a 32/64 bit USB installer today without issue. Eager to upgrade my computers. Any good reason I should wait for my main (gaming) comp?

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Driver issues maybe with Nvidia/AMD, but aside from that no. I expect the next week to be full of constant updates/patches etc, so holding off for a minute won't be a bad thing. If your current setup handles whatever you do fine, it will continue to do so. I will 100% advocate that to minimize overall issues, just hang for a week before updating.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I wish I could make copy of the built in Photos app, rename it, and point it at a different starting folder...

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider

BTW, Edge has a Dark Theme, which makes it look almost exactly like Steam.
I complained about it earlier in the thread I think, something I have noticed is that active windows have a 1-pixel border. I will probably look at the StarDock windows blind stuff at some point, hopefully its stable....

Anyone else experiencing weird behaviour with snap? I've had issues where the window will be snapped on the right, but hitting Win+Left doesn't move it to the left side of the screen as before, however pressing thewrong directionwill snap it to the other side. (e.g. Left, hit win+left to move to the right...)

Edit: Something else disappointing, now that I'm using it on a system with a mouse - Forward and Backward buttons often do not work. e.g. in Settings only back works, in Photos neither works (whereas the they did in the old win7 preview viewer)

Also, despite not having right-click uninstall options it is possible to remove things like Weather & Maps via powershell commands.

Its also flat out ridiculous (and annoying for accidental clicks) that Help icons open Bing searches.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The thin borders are great. They've been moving in that direction for a while and with high res screens there's no reason not to.

But the only differentiation between an active window and inactive window is a slightly darker dropshadow. It hardly matters in practice though, you generally know what window is overlapping another.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
That's just because it hadn't pulled down new video drivers yet.
Nah I had the latest driver from NVidia. I think maybe video drivers aren't working well until you do a clean install of the driver after windows 10 updates. I had to redownload the drivers after windows installed them because it didn't install nvidia control panel. Maybe just a weird problem in my end.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
The thin borders are great. They've been moving in that direction for a while and with high res screens there's no reason not to.

But the only differentiation between an active window and inactive window is a slightly darker dropshadow. It hardly matters in practice though, you generally know what window is overlapping another.
The colour of the border is related to your active colour choice, its not enough imo if you have multiple displays or a high resolution screen.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The PIN to login is very nice. I can actually use my MS account now because I was too lazy to memorize my lastpass password I generated for it so. I always setup my machines with a local account.