Windows 10

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
So I'm still running an insider preview build 10162, since I build this machine it's the only OS it has ever run. Curious if I can grab the Pro version do a clean install and get a free key still?

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Really no complaints so far. Like the new start menu and no more full screen metro toggle. Other than that it feels like a slightly slicker 8.1 with a better start menu.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
So I'm still running an insider preview build 10162, since I build this machine it's the only OS it has ever run. Curious if I can grab the Pro version do a clean install and get a free key still?
Yeah, I think you have about a month to get the free upgrade.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
upgraded my wife's computer and ran into a minor snag that forced me to put back to win7 at least temporarily until i find a fix

she has had a steelseries merc keyboard and LOVES it(that left side keypad). upgrading to 10 made the zengine not work- and after spending a few hrs i couldn't get it to work either- but i think i figured it out now.. but not going to try again until next saturday so i could reinstall, test and if work keep otherwise revert BACK.

the zengine would run, but it was not "loading" the keymap overwrite n...so all buttons were the default buttons which are normal k's. default = c was c shift was shift etc i(on the side keyboard)...

her skin was c (the keypad c) was actually ~ which is bound to pet attack. etc

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If you're on the Insider Build, register for the insider thing, use a Microsoft and that copy is free forever. You're stuck on the fast ring for updates and new builds though.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If you're on the Insider Build, register for the insider thing, use a Microsoft and that copy is free forever. You're stuck on the fast ring for updates and new builds though.
Oh, I forgot, there's some way to opt out of future Insider participation and keep the free copy, I forgot how that works though.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I had a smooth install of this, went very fast and easy, until I noticed that it did not recognize my Nvidia card at all. Wasn't even there in the device manager.

Luckily, a quick bios update later brought it back and all was again right with the world; was definitely a sketchy moment there though!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I had a smooth install of this, went very fast and easy, until I noticed that it did not recognize my Nvidia card at all. Wasn't even there in the device manager.

Luckily, a quick bios update later brought it back and all was again right with the world; was definitely a sketchy moment there though!
I'm sure the bios update did nothing, it probably just picked it up off Windows update later on. Mine didn't pick up on the first 2-3 boots either.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Running Dog;1180587 said:
This is annoying...

rrr_img_105386.jpg
[/QUOTE
Is it over clocked? If it is, revert to stock and check I remember seeing someone on gaf having the not supported error with an over clocked CPU, one he reverted to stock the issue went away, upgraded to win10, then redid the over clock.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider

Yeah, Win 10 didn't recognize the Nvidia card in my desktop, nor the mobile AMD card in my wife's laptop. Had to go manually get drivers for both. You'd think Microsoft could have made it a priority for Win 10 to get your newest video card drivers...especially upgrading from a previous edition of windows, they're already there. I'm sure a lot of people with zero computer skills will miss that and leave their PC running off of their on-board Intel graphics indefinitely.

My parents plan on upgrading to 10, I'm sure neither of them will know to do that, I'll have to fix it the next time I visit them.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
The video card thing was the only issue I had with the upgrade. Windows began installing the driver while I was starting the download from nvidia.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm pretty sure it actually does recognize them, but it downloads the drivers for them slowly in the background, and doesn't leave a [?] placeholder in Device Manager while it's downloading them. So only once it's got the entire driver package off the WU servers, does it appear.

It's just a quirk of the new Windows Update.

I didn't download or install ANY Nvidia drivers, and Nvidia Control Panel magically appeared, along with 3D vision and a bunch of other bullshit I didn't ask to install. This took place about an hour after I installed, after maybe 3 reboots.

It installed 3D vision and HD audio but not Physx, which was stupid.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Driver support from Creative is annoying as usual. No official driver until sometime 'August 2015'. Lenovo happened to have a driver already which luckily worked since its a home built PC and not a Lenovo. Until I installed the new driver, everything sounded odd like I was in a tunnel.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I'm still on the fence. I finally updated my windows 7 pro so that I got the upgrade to 10 notification.

From reading around it says 20gb required for 64 bit windows. I don't have 20gb free on my OS SSD drive. Is that a problem? I really don't want to move the few things that are on it to pare it down to 20gb free. Or is that 20gb total?

Lenas

Trump's Staff
If you don't have 20gb free it'll try to apply the update and fail without a specific message telling you why.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
My Surface 3 Pro has an SD card slot and Windows 10 doesn't recognize it. Damn annoying.
Was considering getting one for starting research / writing casuistics. I love the portability. Is there a 4 pro in the pipe or is the 3 pro still current?