Windows 10

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Was considering getting one for starting research / writing casuistics. I love the portability. Is there a 4 pro in the pipe or is the 3 pro still current?
The 3 pro is still very current. I don't think there is a rumored 4 at this point. Anything it brings will just be minor changes anyways.

I love my 3 Pro. It is right now my only computer at all.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Just an FYI if you were buying 8.1 licenses off reddit, the guy I was buying from (guiltygearz) has been found out to be reselling 8.1 MSDN keys that expire after 90 days.

Not sure what that's going to do to these PC's once they upgrade to 10, but pretty bullshit. Wonder if I can reverse the charges on him

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Just an FYI if you were buying 8.1 licenses off reddit, the guy I was buying from (guiltygearz) has been found out to be reselling 8.1 MSDN keys that expire after 90 days.

Not sure what that's going to do to these PC's once they upgrade to 10, but pretty bullshit. Wonder if I can reverse the charges on him
I bought my 8.1 keys off Reddit, but it was quite some time ago and they upgraded without issue. How did you discover they were MSDN keys that expire after 90 days? When I had an MSDN membership, the keys never expired. I was using them for years after my account expired.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Last night I went to buy an office 2013 key from him, and I forgot his exact username so I looked up his thread. Basically all info deleted and the top posts were tons of people complaining that after 90 days their keys went from activated to deactivated. I just hope that my dad and brother in law are able to cleanly upgrade to 10 and not have to worry about it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'm still on the fence. I finally updated my windows 7 pro so that I got the upgrade to 10 notification.

From reading around it says 20gb required for 64 bit windows. I don't have 20gb free on my OS SSD drive. Is that a problem? I really don't want to move the few things that are on it to pare it down to 20gb free. Or is that 20gb total?
It requires an extra 20GB to install, but once Windows 10 is installed you can do a system file cleanup to regain that 20GB. A full Win 10 install takes up no more room than Win 7 or 8, it just needs that space temporarily for the install(since you basically have two OSes for a brief time). So If you can just free up some space temporarily, you're good, you'll get the room back afterwards.

Once you do a file cleanup to get the 20GB back, you lose the ability to system restore back to your old windows, though.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I moved some stuff and have 20.7 gb free now on that SSD. So I'm guessing it will isntall and I can get it back more or less hopefully.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I got almost my exact space back going from 8.1 to 10. I have a 250GB SSD as my boot drive, had 115GB free while on win 8.1, and still have exactly 115GB free on Windows 10

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Stupid question time. Can I just drag and drop a folder (game) to a new ssd drive even though it has a different drive letter without fucking it up?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
At the very least, shortcuts will break, at worst the game won't function, depends on the game. You could move the game to the new location then run the installer again and specify the new location. That may fix things that got broken in the move.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
Was considering getting one for starting research / writing casuistics. I love the portability. Is there a 4 pro in the pipe or is the 3 pro still current?
I read something a week ago that says the Surface 4 will use Skylake.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Stupid question time. Can I just drag and drop a folder (game) to a new ssd drive even though it has a different drive letter without fucking it up?
Wouldn't recommend it. Some will work (except shortcuts), but others that may use config files or registry entries to refer to drive letters will break

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Copy the data folder over, putting it where you want it to go on the new driver, download and rerun the installer over the top of that data folder.

Borzak

Opened my computer today to clean it. Found a 30gb SSD I had forgot about just sitting there. I think I had my OS on it when I first built this computer when SSD's weren't that common. I think I ran out of room and put in another one. So now I have a 30gb SSD I might try to put in and at least put a game or two on it. Maybe.

Borzak

Wouldn't recommend it. Some will work (except shortcuts), but others that may use config files or registry entries to refer to drive letters will break
That was my problem. I had a few programs on my OS drive that I didn't have any way to reinstall them.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Opened my computer today to clean it. Found a 30gb SSD I had forgot about just sitting there. I think I had my OS on it when I first built this computer when SSD's weren't that common. I think I ran out of room and put in another one. So now I have a 30gb SSD I might try to put in and at least put a game or two on it. Maybe.
Shit...some games won't even fit on that these days. It could always be a decent coaster.

Borzak

I don't game much, in the years steam has been in business I think I bought 10 games.

The few games I do play aren't cutting edge graphics wise.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Also copy of the game folders from \Users\<username>\Documents\My Games and \Users\<username>\Documents. These folders will have savegames/game settings. A lot of games these days work fine when doing this.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, some modern games are out of control, size-wise.