Windows 10

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Hello, 55GB GTA5 install. About shit myself when I saw that. Was damn near half the size of my SSD at the time, went out and bought a bigger one.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Well so much for that. When it downloaded it gave me the option of what to keep. It only has the option of "norhint" saying my windows is installed in an unsupported directory. As far as I know it's on C: in the stand installation directory.

Borzak

Someone on redit mentioned to edit a registery key for windows current version. I don't have that key lol.

Borzak

This is what they wanted edited. I have a blank key for that. I have that key but nothing in it.

KU784a4.jpg

Borzak

All that stuff in the pic I posted. I had current_ver but no data entries at all. All the stuff listed as c:/program files etc...I don't have which may explain some of the issues I've been having with windows 7 pro.

Borzak

Edit Nm fixed it. Hate cortana on my fucking phone why would I want that shit on my desktop.

After an hour I'm going back to windows 7 if I can get my CD to install. Too much shit added for me. I want an OS to be an OS, not a search engine and 200 other things. I literally want it to allow the programs I install to work, that's it. It's not a tablet, not a phone, it's an OS for a desktop.

Oh well that didn't take long.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Step 1: Don't make a Microsoft Account
Step 2: Turn off like 6 different things.

Shit is all gone. I would have uninstalled the XbroX app but it is actually an insanely efficient game recorder, better than Nvidia Shadowplay. Hopefully they add Twitch game capture.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Pretty fucking dumb to revert back to an older version of Windows when you can just disable (or just not use, novel idea) things you don't want.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, for all their faults MS has made it very possible to turn off 99% of shit. Turning off most of it is easy, a few isolated things do require GPedit/regedit/powershell.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Pretty fucking dumb to revert back to an older version of Windows when you can just disable (or just not use, novel idea) things you don't want.
Well, this was the obtuse reasoning used by all those that reverted back to Windows 7 because they couldn't deal with the Metro interface in Windows 8, despite the 3d party plug-ins that made it irrelevant.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Ok so how painless is the upgrade from Windows 7? Would I lose any data during the upgrade? I'm tempted to take the plunge but I don't have the energy after my surgery just yet to do a full blown OS upgrade if I've gotta hunt down drivers and shit.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Depends on your system. Was painless for me on every one of my machines.

And the "Microsoft is watching me poop" stuff? Who cares? Everyone is watching you. Welcome to the Internet.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Well, this was the obtuse reasoning used by all those that reverted back to Windows 7 because they couldn't deal with the Metro interface in Windows 8, despite the 3d party plug-ins that made it irrelevant.
And they were just as silly. Windows 8 was perfectly usable with Classic Start or whatever if you didn't want Metro. Some of the same things that made Windows 8 aggravating are still around in 10 (e.g. UAC being point blank required for some things, like Edge).

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Well I'm not running anything special. Standard legit copy of Windows 7 Home. Shouldn't be an issue then. I'm just lazy right now. lol

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
I dual booted it on my main work pc just to demo it and make sure all my shit works with it. I'm pleasantly surprised that I haven't had to switch back to 8.1. Turned off all the privacy switches and disabled cortana. Works well. I really like Edge, My only gripe is that I still need IE for some online tools and can't use Edge because it doesnt have support for addons yet, which means no ABP or Lastpass so I have to use regular IE.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
After using Start8 for a while, I forced myself to use the new start screen in Windows 8 and after about 2 months I ended up liking it better.

I'm still having a bitch of a time getting this built in Mail app to send mail through my Cox SMTP server. It checks just fine from the IMAP server.