Windows 10

Why do a lot of programs show as unavailable after the upgrade. Like almost all games(bnet , games from steam and such) my video drivers , my anti virus. Do i need to delete then reinstall them to get them to work again?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Just updated a few hours ago, is there some new top secret way to disable sticky corners? Fucking annoying that I can't drag my mouse across monitors at the very top and bottom. I tried using the registry entry that disabled it in Windows 8.1, that didn't work.
If you move your mouse really really fast it won't snap. If you type 'snap' into the start menu theres a couple options you can change.

Pizoi

Golden Squire
If you move your mouse really really fast it won't snap. If you type 'snap' into the start menu theres a couple options you can change.
That's not what I mean, there's actually 6 pixels at the top and bottom corners between monitors that block your mouse cursor from moving to the next monitor. I don't know who thought this was a good idea, but they should be shot.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
That's not what I mean, there's actually 6 pixels at the top and bottom corners between monitors that block your mouse cursor from moving to the next monitor. I don't know who thought this was a good idea, but they should be shot.
Huh, haven't noticed that until you pointed this out but I can really see why that would annoy people.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Wife installed it on her laptop last night. Now almost all the little games she plays like Windows Solitaire Collection, are screwed up or just hang when she logs into xBox. How do I uninstall? TIA

Edit: Nevermind, she found it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Hold the phone, Borzak did you just say you were running Windows ME up until 2 years ago? May god have mercy on your soul.. jesus christ.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone have an idea of the current bug list for Windows 10? So far the only major issue I've heard about is Chrome not working? I'm starting a google search now.

Just received my "Windows 10 is upgrade is ready" message. Trying to find out if I should put it off a few more weeks if there are major bugs that still need to be worked out.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Anyone have an idea of the current bug list for Windows 10? So far the only major issue I've heard about is Chrome not working? I'm starting a google search now.

Just received my "Windows 10 is upgrade is ready" message. Trying to find out if I should put it off a few more weeks if there are major bugs that still need to be worked out.
No Chrome=No Chromecast. That won't work. That's how I watch TV.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I've been using Chrome since upgrading without a single issue and many others in this thread have said also since Edge doesn't support extensions just yet. Is this a Chrome 'may not' work bug? I haven't even been able to search for anything significant.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
So one bug is that it won't install if you have changed your default programs directory. This is useful if you run windows off of a small SSD and put program files on a secondary drive like I did. I can change it back to C:\Program Files instead of D: but I don't know if that will break all of the programs I have installed in D:\ once Win10 is installed.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Hold the phone, Borzak did you just say you were running Windows ME up until 2 years ago? May god have mercy on your soul.. jesus christ.
On a computer for the shop yes, it was running a very large piece of equipment. It worked so why change it. You run into some programs and custom written drivers that it's just not worth it to upgrade a computer. Just change out the power supply every so often. It's not like someone sitting at it doing work all day. It was turned on and ran 24/7 unattended. Not worth paying someone to update the driver when it was written 20 years ago, and you are the only person on the planet with it. The beamline it was on was made in the 50's and had numeric controls added to it from various suppliers, many of which are no longer in bussines.

Go with what makes money, eventually the beam line wa replaced with a 5 axis 2 head CNC plasma torch machine that cost $2.4 million. It doesn't work worth a shit compared to the one from the 50's. I'm no longer there but they are contemplating scraping the replacement.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
So one bug is that it won't install if you have changed your default programs directory. This is useful if you run windows off of a small SSD and put program files on a secondary drive like I did. I can change it back to C:\Program Files instead of D: but I don't know if that will break all of the programs I have installed in D:\ once Win10 is installed.
So turns out I'm just a dumbass (obvious right). Windows 10 works just fine with program files, users, and program data on another drive as long as you as using junctions (which I am) and not registry changes (which you shouldn't use anyway). For whatever reason I had the registry change setup for program files, users and program data even though i was using junctions for all 3. Fixed those entries and made sure everything booted fine then Windows 10 installed without issues.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
Windows installed an update today when I turned on my computer and now it completely freezes 10 seconds after booting to the desktop. Sometimes it will blue screen with the error MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION. So that sucks.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Windows installed an update today when I turned on my computer and now it completely freezes 10 seconds after booting to the desktop. Sometimes it will blue screen with the error MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION. So that sucks.
That's a weird one, because that bug check usually indicates a hardware problem like memory/cpu.