Windows 10

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Depends on your system. Was painless for me on every one of my machines.

And the "Microsoft is watching me poop" stuff? Who cares? Everyone is watching you. Welcome to the Internet.
Man these companies love people like you

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I didn't care for windows 10 so went back to windows 7. Now it says fake/counterfit and when I go online to enter my key (it's still stuck on the case where I put it when I built the computer) it says it's not valid for windows 7 pro which is also the disk I used. It's the only computer I have lol.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Man these companies love people like you
Because why, exactly? Because I don't care if they data mine things that are completely irrelevant, like the location of my PC?

I turn off things like Cortana, not because I don't want them to listen to me, but because I don't use them. I use Siri on my phone now and then. I am absolutely not worried that Apple is listening to me. There isn't enough time in the world to devote to worrying about shit like that, mostly because I can't control what everyone else's device is doing, and chances are they're listening. So, yeah, if you want to worry about these things, you go right ahead. I'll just live my life.

Oh, and it would be a good thing if more people realized that "the cloud" isn't secure, at all, period. So if you're doing things on your computer with the notion that they are 100% private, and you're connected to the Internet, you're probably a fool.

Let's keep things in perspective here, please.

Borzak

I don't store anything in the cloud, but whatever. When I downgraded it also lost my driver for my network card. So I had to dig thru and find a wireless usb to use.

Borzak

So I called activation support at MS. The first question you have to answer is are you activating windows XP, if so press 1.

Ummm what did I wake 5 years ago?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
People are still installing XP. It probably won't activate anymore, so they'll probably have to be transferred to an actual agent.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I didn't care for windows 10 so went back to windows 7. Now it says fake/counterfit and when I go online to enter my key (it's still stuck on the case where I put it when I built the computer) it says it's not valid for windows 7 pro which is also the disk I used. It's the only computer I have lol.
When you upgraded to 10 they invalidated your old Win 7 key. I hope MS Support can reverse it for you.

Borzak

So now I don't have a licencsed copy of windows 10 or 7. I can get the free windows 10 but after X number of days I would have to buy a copy. Sounds great.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If you performed the upgrade from a valid Windows 7 key, you will forever have a Windows 10 key associated with that hardware hash.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Yep, what Mist said. You have a licensed copy of Windows 10 for that computer. Unfortunately, MS doesn't provide you with an option to revert to 7 once you've done the upgrade.

It'll be interesting to see if they will undo the switch for you. I'd guess that they probably won't. They'll tell you how much greater Windows 10 is and try to convince you to reinstall it. The good news is that you won't have to worry about activation on that computer anymore.

Borzak

So I can download windows 10 again and it will be activated?It would be quicker than being on hold honestly.

OMG upgrading to windows 10 is easy, I've heard it a hundred times and the START menu is back lol.

FYI Internet expolorer that comes with windows 7 sucks ass but I'm too lazy to put something else on right now.

Ok someone answered my question. I may just reinstall windows 10 for now. I have a windows 7 pro disk and key in storage if needed.

Borzak

I gotta figure out how to get windows 10 now without the notifcation.

Borzak

Doing that now, thanks.

Well our new IT gets to sit on hold for 5-1/2 hours tomorrow. At least he will have something to do lol. He's always asking me what he can do. We only have 35 people it's not that intensive for a full time IT person.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
As a full time IT guy, I say: If he needs something to do that badly, he isn't being proactive enough. Or he's just that damn good and he needs to find a better job. =D

Anyway, good luck. I find Win 10 to be pretty decent. Privacy issues make it sketchy for a lot of people (I'm not one of them, as per above), and the activation stuff is a bit of a mess (as you've discovered), but as an OS, without all of that surprisingly non-OS-related side show, it's just fine.

Borzak

As a full time IT guy, I say: If he needs something to do that badly, he isn't being proactive enough. Or he's just that damn good and he needs to find a better job. =D

Anyway, good luck. I find Win 10 to be pretty decent. Privacy issues make it sketchy for a lot of people (I'm not one of them, as per above), and the activation stuff is a bit of a mess (as you've discovered), but as an OS, without all of that surprisingly non-OS-related side show, it's just fine.
What would a full time IT person need to do for 35 people. Only about 10-15 of them actively use a computer day to day. About 90% of our business done by the PM's and engineers are done via voice call if they're not drawing.

I'm technically his boss since I fired the guy that had the job. Curious. We don't even get stuff to try since our biggest software use is the only company in the world that has it. We talk to them weekly in a conference call and they come on site for upgrades and questions. The rest is just email for the most part.

Borzak

I'm not really worried about the spying stuff a lot of people have mentioned. I'm really old fashioned I do very little business on the internet, no banking etc..I only order stuff using one card not all of them etc...

Borzak

Well I went to install windows 10 and it says it's not activated and wants a key.

It won't let me continue without a valid key. FFS. So the only key I have isn't valid for windows 10 or windows 7 and I can't even continue to install windows 10.