Windows 10

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Huh. It should let you continue without a key. You might have to install from DVD, though. The media maker should allow you to create a .ISO file that you can install from (the "install later" option).

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I never get that option, when it downloads it pops up a screen to enter the key. There's no other choice but to enter the key to continue or....nothing.

When I rebooted once I had the option to boot from windows 10 or windows 7. I don't get that option now.

Borzak

Just buying a $20 windows 7 key sounds like a better option than sitting on hold for 5 hours.

When I went back to windows 7 I got what was basically a fresh install, nothing saved from before. So if I decide to stick with windows 7 I have a lot of shit to update etc...

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Could have left windows 10 installed, done things the same way you always have, and saved the thread two pages. Just accept it. This is the "last version of windows," you gonna stay on 7 forever?

Borzak

Could have left windows 10 installed, done things the same way you always have, and saved the thread two pages. Just accept it. This is the "last version of windows," you gonna stay on 7 forever?
Sorry I fagged up your thread, and yeah I might run windows 7 forever. Apparently I don't do a lot of stuff people do. I don't even run an anti virus because I do limited stuff on the computer and have never had an issue.

I ran windows ME on two boxes until about 2 years ago. If it ain't broke don't fix it. One ran a $100k beamline and the software and device drivers and the card supplied for the computer to control it had issues with newer versions of windows. Was still running everyday 24 hours a day in the shop. The other one ran an early version of autocad that was the only version we could get to run a program that the vendor had gone out of business (he died). It worked everyday with only a few power supply replacements and made a shitload of money (like 7 figure money).

Not big into updating for the use of just updating. I normally need a defined reason saying you need this to do X, not just cause.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
I never get that option, when it downloads it pops up a screen to enter the key. There's no other choice but to enter the key to continue or....nothing.

When I rebooted once I had the option to boot from windows 10 or windows 7. I don't get that option now.
When you install Win 10 from scratch it asks you twice for a key and both times you don't need to enter one. After its installed you only need to enter a key if the version you installed is different than the one originally activated. IE you install Win 10 home but you upgraded from win 7 pro, then you need to enter in the generic win 10 pro key.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Well, this was the obtuse reasoning used by all those that reverted back to Windows 7 because they couldn't deal with the Metro interface in Windows 8, despite the 3d party plug-ins that made it irrelevant.
Well, you never know if the next service pack fucks you over, or forces some shitty setting. Better the devil you know, eh? I donno, I've yet to upgrade to 10, running msdn 8.1 enterprise. Considering following a_skeleton_03ger into surface pro territory.

Borzak

I took it to work today and the IT guy was THRILLED he got to work on a desktop type computer. He installed (2) 256 mb SSD's he said we had stockpiled in a closet which was odd considering none of our computers have an SSD in them other than the laptops I guess. Anyway he put windows 7 on and upgraded to windows 10. He put windows 7 on a separate key on the other. So dual booth 7 and 10 now.

He called to get the key sorted out, they called back pretty quick and told them they would transfer him to tech support. The hold time there was estimated at greater than 8 hours and they didn't have a callback option. So he just used new keys we had at the office.

He was almost giddy lol. The only eason we have an IT person really is to deal with the interface between the office and the shop. Much of the stuff is older than I am and has had controls added multiple times by companies that are no longer in business etc...That's where he earns his pay.

I like this guy much better than the guy before him. The guy replaced much of our desktops with surface pros and a docking station for desktop work. Which really sucked considering we only have 2 people that normally travel and they all had them. What was the point of having a tablet for a desktop if you don't ever take it home/someplace else. He also couldn't ever figure out how to set up a dual monitor display so I could look at drawings in one and whatever else I was doing in the other like a spreadsheet etc..His suggestion was to plot 1,000 jobs on a drawing and put them on my desk and use the computer. Anyway he basically fired himself. In a 3 way conversation with the president of the company and him he brought up his pay compared to mine and my company credit card had a higher limit than his and the president wanted to know how he knew. Apparently he was going thru our time keeping and payrool crap Cronus or whatever it's called and opened his mouth. Pro tip - if you discover stuff on the computer network about pay and benefits, keep it to yourself.

Anyway happy day now I guess.

I have a surface pro at work as well as my desktop, are they going to be upgraded to windows 10 as well? I haven't even turned it on in a few weeks.

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
After using Start8 for a while, I forced myself to use the new start screen in Windows 8 and after about 2 months I ended up liking it better.

I'm still having a bitch of a time getting this built in Mail app to send mail through my Cox SMTP server. It checks just fine from the IMAP server.
I had this problem too, ended up just using gmail's smtp.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Well, you never know if the next service pack fucks you over, or forces some shitty setting. Better the devil you know, eh? I donno, I've yet to upgrade to 10, running msdn 8.1 enterprise. Considering following a_skeleton_03ger into surface pro territory.
Surface pro 3's are awesome. We have 30 mobile users that use them with three monitors and the docking bay and they all love them. MS support has been great as well. Some users cracked their screens and MS cross ships us a new one free of charge.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Is there any way to have Edge automatically open certain files without saving a copy in the downloads folder, like .torrents? I can't find out how to have them automatically open in an app. It downloads first, then I have to click 'open'.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Everything runs better now. I got it at home and on my Surface 3 and i am in love. all my niggling little issues are gone...aka DPI scaling and shit.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Rumor says Surface 4 pro in october. Skylake and all the massive improvements that go with it. Do I wait or what? Fuck!

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
So far I am pleased with this... but why does Chrome now look terrible? Has this wonky square boxiness to the top of it.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So far I am pleased with this... but why does Chrome now look terrible? Has this wonky square boxiness to the top of it.
Because the aero glass transparency is gone from it's custom titlebar.

Pizoi

Golden Squire
Just updated a few hours ago, is there some new top secret way to disable sticky corners? Fucking annoying that I can't drag my mouse across monitors at the very top and bottom. I tried using the registry entry that disabled it in Windows 8.1, that didn't work.