Windows 10

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
The part that article doesn't mention is that the people getting that are the ones that opted in to the upgrade then decided to cancel the install. Though I have seen people saying that the Win 10 install was checked off in the optional updates in Windows Update despite not having checked it off themselves.

I understand why MS wants to push Win 10, but they are costing themselves a lot of goodwill from users with how hard they're pushing it.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Yea, it's a good OS. Let it sell itself. People have nearly another year to jump in for free. Make bigger plays a little later in the season.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
The biggest complaint I get from folks after they do the upgrade is their sound not working any more. Seems like a lot of hardware manufacturers are still slacking on drivers despite windows 8 drivers working most of the time.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yea, it's a good OS. Let it sell itself. People have nearly another year to jump in for free. Make bigger plays a little later in the season.
I think you underestimate some people's resistance to change. There are still people running XP just because that's what they have. What they should really be doing though is making Windows 7 run like shit and telling people how much faster their computer will be with W10 aka the Apple way.

On a side note, about once a year a neighbor asks me to come over and see why their computer is slow. The answer is usually "Well, you payed $300 for this computer and it's 7 years old, buy a new computer you cheapass!" but I hate to be rude about it.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
If you have some off the wall hardware there's still no drivers for it in windows 10. The fact they pushed out Windows 10 without a fully functioning browser says a lot. I read somewhere that they did it to get on the back to school bandwagon and figured they will push out a service pack this fall.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Edge could be beast if adblock/noscript was made possible. It's quite fast and has some fun toys, but I can't stand the shitstorm of funky ads, so I won't use it. They say extensibility is a huge priority for the Edge team right now though.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Why bother now? At this point I would would assume people installed firefox or chrome right off the bat and aren't going to change later.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Why bother now? At this point I would would assume people installed firefox or chrome right off the bat and aren't going to change later.
As I said, Edge is quite fast. It's almost what chrome was when it launched. Its memory footprint is non-existent compared to chrome. At the least it may make the chrome team fix their shit, but remember the war is hottest on mobile right now, and resources and speed matter even more there.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
So the free 10 upgrades are tied to hardware ID yea? So if I build a new box I can't reinstall with the copy I'm already using, I'd need to call Microsoft or just buy a new key?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
So can someone give the tl;dr on win 10 product keys? Is there a way to get them free on a new install? Doing a boot camp on a macbook and had to wipe the old install.

Thanks

Edit: Looks like you just skip the product key entering on install and it self-activates once you're on the internet, confirm/deny?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So can someone give the tl;dr on win 10 product keys? Is there a way to get them free on a new install? Doing a boot camp on a macbook and had to wipe the old install.

Thanks

Edit: Looks like you just skip the product key entering on install and it self-activates once you're on the internet, confirm/deny?
If you've gone through the upgrade process before on the same hardware that how it's supposed to work. I did the upgrade then wiped my machine and reinstalled from USB with no issues, but it doesn't seem to always work for everyone.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I realize reports are mixed on whether or not they are really forcing people to upgrade, but if they force businesses with legacy apps that end up not working on 10 to upgrade, they are in for a massive shitstorm. I realize *most* stuff that works on 7 or 8 should work fine on 10, but it probably isn't going to be 100%.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I don't buy them forcing anyone to do it. People suck at computers, and Windows users include a lot of cryptkeepers and windowlickers. They do download the package if your updates are set up that way, which isn't remotely abnormal.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
If you've gone through the upgrade process before on the same hardware that how it's supposed to work. I did the upgrade then wiped my machine and reinstalled from USB with no issues, but it doesn't seem to always work for everyone.
No upgrade but did do the win10 insider preview on that machine for a few months. I had a warez win7 on there before.