Windows 10

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Got a link to the registry hack to get rid of sticky corners? I found one, but the registry entry it mentioned didn't exist.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Usually that just means you have to add the dword or whatever type of value it specifically calls for in those cases. At times they just don't exist unless they have a value. Always annoyed me.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So I haven't been following Windows 10 lately at all, and Microsoft really wants me to upgrade. What is the general consensus so far for the operating system? Also, for those that upgraded, previously in the past it has always been better to do a fresh install rather than an upgrade. Have they actually made the upgrade process on par with a clean install?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
So I haven't been following Windows 10 lately at all, and Microsoft really wants me to upgrade. What is the general consensus so far for the operating system? Also, for those that upgraded, previously in the past it has always been better to do a fresh install rather than an upgrade. Have they actually made the upgrade process on par with a clean install?
You'll hate it because you hate everything.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
You'll hate it because you hate everything.
Pot Kettle.

Palum or Intrinsic, thoughts? Since it is a free upgrade, and Microsoft seems hell bent on making me move forward, I am genuinely curious if I should wait for a year, or if it is good enough now to pull the trigger. I love Windows 7 Pro - so as long as I can make it look and run like that I'll be fine with it. Metro is horseshit. So as long as I can turn that garbage off and mimic the UI of Windows 7 with faster SSD ability, I would be good.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Just do it. I don't think either of us use any crazy customized software or heavy development shit that requires stuff to be infinitely configurable and stable. I browse websites and play games. Windows 10 works fine. I completely forgot Metro even existed, don't think I've seen it a single time (except for some settings pages which still uses the dumb shit).

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
You won't really see Metro anymore in Win 10. They actually made it smart enough to detect PC/Tablet and make it default to desktop for PC. The only place you'll see those tiles now is the start menu. There are a few third party programs that will turn the start menu into a Win7 version as well if you hate the new start menu. Basically you can turn off all the "new and exciting" features Microsoft shoehorned into 10 and it'll behave more or less like Win 7.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Ok sounds good. Thanks Fellas.

Clean install recommended or is an upgrade ok now? Last time I installed an OS was Windows 7, and at that point, clean installs were still better than upgrades over existing. What did you guys do?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I used an upgrade for many months until I built a new computer and never had any issues with it.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I used an upgrade for many months until I built a new computer and never had any issues with it.
Ok awesome. I'll just do that then. (Which I am happy about because that is a lot easier)

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I was lazy and went with the Upgrade. Been working fine for me and after reading some of the problems a few people here have had with clean installs I'm sort of happy my laziness won the day.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
One thing to note, now that I'm thinking about it, when you upgrade it will try and stick a backup of Win7 into a folder in case you want to downgrade later. So make sure you have some extra room and once you are sure you'll stick with 10 do a Disk Cleanup to remove that folder.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
One thing to note, now that I'm thinking about it, when you upgrade it will try and stick a backup of Win7 into a folder in case you want to downgrade later. So make sure you have some extra room and once you are sure you'll stick with 10 do a Disk Cleanup to remove that folder.
Ok will do. Nets for you. (I must spread more before giving you more + nets) I'll go neg Mist a few times and come back to + you.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Wow I am up and running already that was easy. Thanks all
smile.png

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I was lazy and went with the Upgrade. Been working fine for me and after reading some of the problems a few people here have had with clean installs I'm sort of happy my laziness won the day.
Mostly that was me fucking around. And even then I'd recommend win10. But just upgrade. Not really necessary to do a clean install from what I have seen.

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
Put Windows 10 on my new pc, having some stupid problem with the mouse. Basically any time I boot up the computer, the mouse pointer will randomly jump to the top left corner of the screen over and over no matter how much I move it or do anything else. Google told me that other people have this same problem and the solution is going to Devices - Mouse & Touchpad and disabling "Enhance Pointer Precision". This works and solves the problem; however, I have my pc set to go to sleep after 1 hour of inactivity. When I come back to the pc and turn it on again, the problem returns. Going back to Mouse & Touchpad shows that enhance pointer precision is enabled again, but when unchecking it after sleep it does not solve the problem. I then have to restart the computer, and it hangs while loading windows every single time (I've waited upwards of 10 minutes loading before), which means I have to hard reset it (and then my system will start in like 5 seconds). There does not seem to be any way of getting windows to permanently uncheck that option (including registry changes apparently). Real annoying, the computer is essentially unusable while it's doing the jumping cursor thing. If for some reason I chose not to use the keyboard to get to the start menu and restart it would probably take upwards of an hour to do so with the mouse, even clicking on the start button takes like 20+ minutes of trying before I can get the cursor down there. Great job Microsoft!

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Bought my dad a new computer, gave it to him with windows 8.1, 24 hours later his interface is changed and shit is not working. FUCK YOU MICROSOFT.