Windows 10

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I'm now getting "Upgrade to Windows 10" messages on my OS. I'm using Windows 7 and have been happy with it. Is there any reason to upgrade? If it's remotely anything like windows 8 it'll be a giant "nope", but if its actually like a traditional windows OS but with better performance I'd consider it.
Just do the upgrade. It will take an hour and you will hardly notice any differences. And those you do will be improvements.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
My dad said he upgraded and lost solitaire which was a big problem because it's the reason he uses a computer.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You can play solitaire on Windows 10. I think you just have to D/L it from the app store. It's not exactly the same as Win7 Solitaire but it's okay.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Just do the upgrade. It will take an hour and you will hardly notice any differences. And those you do will be improvements.
Well goddammit. I upgraded my HTPC over the weekend to Win10 as it's been working quite nicely on my laptop and desktop. Now I'm getting constant crashes in games, with the display driver taking a giant shit constantly. I have tried completely removing it, installing several older versions along with the newest, clean installs and so on and the problem persists. I've dialed back all settings to stock, so it's not an OC or overheating issue. In GTAV specifically it seems like the higher the graphics settings the quicker it will crash, and at first I thought it was simply crashing because it was running out of graphics memory, but I can't play Metro 2033 Redux for more than a couple minutes before it takes a shit, and that game doesn't even use 1GB of memory. I'm running an old i5-750 w/ a Geforce 670. It was rock steady prior to the Win10 upgrade, even at OC settings. I'd played GTAV 60+ hours with basically zero crashes prior to the upgrade. Now I can't play it more than five minutes before it shits out.

Anyone know of any obvious problems or solutions that my Google-fu isn't turning up?

edit: Display driver crashed/recovered when I wasn't even in a game. I was just poking around in the Device Manager and it happened. Why must you fuck with me so much, Win10? Why?

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Out of curiosity, would the mismatch in video memory below have anything to do with it? Why is there shared graphics memory?

rrr_img_117021.jpg

intelnavi_sl

shitlord
It sounds like a windows 10 driver issue. Try and update it or roll it back. Neither of those will probably work so go back to windows 8 and live a much simpler life.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Out of curiosity, would the mismatch in video memory below have anything to do with it? Why is there shared graphics memory?

rrr_img_117021.jpg
That image is normal. That's how they all work.

The general cause of nvidia video drivers crashing over and over like that is a power related issue, aka not enough power to the card. Otherwise, the driver is just installed fucky. Did you try downloading the video card drivers from the website and then checking the 'clean install' option when you do a customer install? Speaking of custom install, try NOT installing Geforce experience, or anything but the video driver and physx (and HD audio only if you use HDMI sound.)

Do you have the correct chipset drivers installed for the motherboard?

Ryanz

<Banned>
Luckily I didn't upgrade to 10 because for some odd reason they don't like my pirated copy of Windows. /shrug

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
My computer started acting wonky on Thursday so I decided to check on Windows 10. It said my pirated copy of W7 was elegible for a free W10 upgrade so I took it. First legit copy of Windows since owning a computer.

Barellron

Trakanon Raider
Well goddammit. I upgraded my HTPC over the weekend to Win10 as it's been working quite nicely on my laptop and desktop. Now I'm getting constant crashes in games, with the display driver taking a giant shit constantly. I have tried completely removing it, installing several older versions along with the newest, clean installs and so on and the problem persists. I've dialed back all settings to stock, so it's not an OC or overheating issue. In GTAV specifically it seems like the higher the graphics settings the quicker it will crash, and at first I thought it was simply crashing because it was running out of graphics memory, but I can't play Metro 2033 Redux for more than a couple minutes before it takes a shit, and that game doesn't even use 1GB of memory. I'm running an old i5-750 w/ a Geforce 670. It was rock steady prior to the Win10 upgrade, even at OC settings. I'd played GTAV 60+ hours with basically zero crashes prior to the upgrade. Now I can't play it more than five minutes before it shits out.

Anyone know of any obvious problems or solutions that my Google-fu isn't turning up?

edit: Display driver crashed/recovered when I wasn't even in a game. I was just poking around in the Device Manager and it happened. Why must you fuck with me so much, Win10? Why?
You may have already ruled this out but are you using EVGA Precision X for any overclock / custom fan profile?
There's an outstanding bug that causes the video driver to crash when Precision X ramps up the fan on a custom profile. I stopped using it 3-4 months ago and haven't crashed since.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Finally able to get my win 10 update a million months later.

Was a bitch to install, the auto-installer was a piece of horse dick. Had to download from their website and do that process, which kept crashing. Now it's up and glorious.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
That image is normal. That's how they all work.

The general cause of nvidia video drivers crashing over and over like that is a power related issue, aka not enough power to the card. Otherwise, the driver is just installed fucky. Did you try downloading the video card drivers from the website and then checking the 'clean install' option when you do a customer install? Speaking of custom install, try NOT installing Geforce experience, or anything but the video driver and physx (and HD audio only if you use HDMI sound.)

Do you have the correct chipset drivers installed for the motherboard?
It's not a hardware/power/temp issue. Like I said, prior to the upgrade the computer was rock solid and actually running fairly OC'd on both the CPU and GPU. I've set both back to defaults to eliminate that as an issue. GPU and CPU temps are reasonable for a small HTPC case, maxing out around 75C or so for both when gaming. And yes, I have tried several different driver versions with clean installs, and also manually removed all Nvidia software prior to reinstalling drivers. I have not tried installing without Geforce Experience, I'll give that a shot, but I doubt it's part of the problem.

You may have already ruled this out but are you using EVGA Precision X for any overclock / custom fan profile?
There's an outstanding bug that causes the video driver to crash when Precision X ramps up the fan on a custom profile. I stopped using it 3-4 months ago and haven't crashed since.
I use MSI Afterburner. I tried gaming for a bit with it closed, but not sure if that entirely deactivates custom fan profiles. I'll look at removing it and/or disabling custom fan profiles to see if that is part of the issue.

Might just have to try a Windows reset or clean install. Dammit, the upgrade had gone so well, everything worked perfectly, including Plex media server and a few other things. Really don't want to start from scratch if I don't have to, especially given the nightmare I went through trying a clean install on my desktop a few months ago. Can you just input a Win7 key yet? Or are they being gay about that shit still?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Windows 10 pissing me off again on my Surface. Haven't really used it since August / September, but it still randomly asks me for a password when I wake it. And it is even difficult to replicate. I can walk away for 8 hours, come back and it won't prompt me to login. Or walk away for 30 minutes only to come back and it require one. Can't reliably do it forcing the Surface to sleep or hibernate, and it won't ask me on boot / restart. Every option I can find within Windows is set to no password or automatically log on. So I'm lost. This thing is 100% personal use and I just really never want to have to put in a password.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
When is it safe to delete "Windows.old" after upgrading from 7 -> 10? That folder is taking up a fair amount of my SSD.