Windows 10

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I junked mine pretty quick. Safe is subjective to your concern for losing anything important in there like music/pics/save games/etc.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Type 'Disk Cleanup' into your start menu, and then Run as Administrator, and then use that to clean up all that garbage.

Otherwise you may run into permission issues. That will execute with system level privileges.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
If anyone is still curious you can totally activate Windows 10 on a clean install using your old Windows 8 product key. Just installed clean on a new drive and skipped adding a key during setup and it activated fine once online using my old key, no phone support etc required.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Giant pain getting an activated windows 10 again after upgrading mobo/cpu.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
^ I'm in the same boat. Upgraded from 8.1 to 10 before my new build arrived just to screw around with it. When I tried to use it for the new build it told me to F-off so I'll just buy a new key and use the old one on the old build for work.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I ended up just wiping the SSD clean and installing fresh from windows 7 CD > upgrade.

The dude on MS support was horrid, he did something that caused my pc to lose internet(most likely somehow removed network drivers for new mobo, when it was trying to upgrade my 10 build to something new), and because to sign in with MS support you have to use your microsoft account(Which ties your PC login to it), the computer couldn't verify the pwd because there was no network connection :p When I told the guy on phone, he was like noo, you just need to go on microsoft website and change the password so you can login to your pc again, they aren't syncd at all.

Might of been able to save me time if I could of somehow installed the network drivers from flash drive and then log in.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I just built an entirely new PC, installed 10 without entering a product key, then entered my old 8.1 product key that I had used on my previous computer for the free update and it activated instantly, no calling or anything of the sort.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hmm probably only works with 8.1 then. I tried to enter windows 7 key and said it was invalid. Had to activate and install 7, then upgrade from there once 7 was "genuine".

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Eomer_sl said:
Might just have to try a Windows reset or clean install. Dammit, the upgrade had gone so well, everything worked perfectly, including Plex media server and a few other things. Really don't want to start from scratch if I don't have to, especially given the nightmare I went through trying a clean install on my desktop a few months ago. Can you just input a Win7 key yet? Or are they being gay about that shit still?
Finally got around to doing a clean install over the weekend. Actually first I did a reset, and was still having crashes. So then I did a clean install. And am still having near instant crashes in most games, with the video driver shitting the bed. So maybe I do have some sort of a hardware issue that coincidentally started at the exact same time I upgraded to Win10 from Win7. Fucking thing. Waiting for some RAM to come in before I open it up and poke around. Might pick up a 970 to slap in there and test with. Or maybe just a 960. I just want the goddamn thing to work again, it had been rock solid for years until this shit.

If anyone is still curious you can totally activate Windows 10 on a clean install using your old Windows 8 product key. Just installed clean on a new drive and skipped adding a key during setup and it activated fine once online using my old key, no phone support etc required.
Yeah, they've changed that recently. I input a Win7 key during the actual setup over the weekend for my HTPC when doing a clean install, and it worked right off the bat. Glorious I tell you! Glorious!

Cinge_sl said:
Hmm probably only works with 8.1 then. I tried to enter windows 7 key and said it was invalid. Had to activate and install 7, then upgrade from there once 7 was "genuine".
See above. Worked fine for me over the weekend. However, I had also previously done a Win7->Win10 upgrade and activated it prior to the clean install, so maybe that had something to do with it?

Explosivo_sl

shitlord
Alright, so reading the last few pages I'm guessing the answer to this will be "no," but assuming my computer is currently running 7 and is working just fine, should I bother upgrading to 10?

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
Today I was able to activate Windows 10 by using an 8.1 key on an install that was not previously activated.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Finally got around to doing a clean install over the weekend. Actually first I did a reset, and was still having crashes. So then I did a clean install. And am still having near instant crashes in most games, with the video driver shitting the bed. So maybe I do have some sort of a hardware issue that coincidentally started at the exact same time I upgraded to Win10 from Win7. Fucking thing. Waiting for some RAM to come in before I open it up and poke around. Might pick up a 970 to slap in there and test with. Or maybe just a 960. I just want the goddamn thing to work again, it had been rock solid for years until this shit.
I will continue talking to myself. I ran Furmark on the 670 last night in various different tests, and all of them ran fine for 5-10 minutes each. Metro 2033 Redux and GTA 5 continued to crash the video driver within a minute or two. Prime95 runs fine as well, so it's not a CPU issue. So I don't know what the fuck to think is going on with the 670. In any case, I slapped in a new, small form factor 970 that I picked up and it seems to run fine. Didn't have time to do a marathon session, but 30 minutes of GTA 5 at mostly very high settings and it was rock solid.

It just strikes me as beyond probability that somehow my 670 decided to shit out the exact same time I upgraded to Win10. Either that, or there's some super odd and rare incompatibility between that particular 670, Win10, and/or the driver (I had tried multiple versions). I'll likely slap it in my Win7 workstation at the office to see how it does there. What a waste of fucking time. Now I have to go re-install and configure Plex and a bunch of other shit because of the clean install.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Yeah, they've changed that recently. I input a Win7 key during the actual setup over the weekend for my HTPC when doing a clean install, and it worked right off the bat. Glorious I tell you! Glorious!
Why are you using Win10 on an HTPC? Didn't they do away with WMC?

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
It's a HTPC as in it's hooked up to a projector. But I use a mouse and keyboard on my lap and for all intents and purposes it's setup little different than a desktop. I'm actually really digging the text scaling that Win10 does. I used to just run at 720p on Win7 because shit was way too small, but 1080p on Win10 is fine as it just scales everything up. I didn't even set it up, I think Win10 detected it was outputting to a projector and set it to 150% by itself. After the initial upgrade I didn't even realize it was at 1080p until the input overlay from the projector said so when I swapped inputs.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Why are you using Win10 on an HTPC? Didn't they do away with WMC?
Maybe he uses KODI like I do, which works perfectly with Windows 10. I don't know that I've even used WMC in the last 5 years. I actually upgraded my HTPC first since it is really only a front-end and wouldn't be a huge hassle if I had to start over multiple times.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What's the point of buying a Windows license then? Wasn't KODI built to run on Linux?
Kodi is what was formerly known as XBMC (X-Box Media Center), so no. PC based.

Yes you can get a Linux build though.

The software was originally produced as an independently developed (homebrew) media player application named Xbox Media Center (abbreviated as XBMC) for the first-generation Xbox game console, and was later made available under the name Kodi (formerly XBMC) as a native application for Android, Linux, BSD, Mac OS X, iOS, and Microsoft Windows based operating systems. It is also available as a standalone version referred to as Kodibuntu.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I will continue talking to myself. I ran Furmark on the 670 last night in various different tests, and all of them ran fine for 5-10 minutes each. Metro 2033 Redux and GTA 5 continued to crash the video driver within a minute or two. Prime95 runs fine as well, so it's not a CPU issue. So I don't know what the fuck to think is going on with the 670. In any case, I slapped in a new, small form factor 970 that I picked up and it seems to run fine. Didn't have time to do a marathon session, but 30 minutes of GTA 5 at mostly very high settings and it was rock solid.

It just strikes me as beyond probability that somehow my 670 decided to shit out the exact same time I upgraded to Win10. Either that, or there's some super odd and rare incompatibility between that particular 670, Win10, and/or the driver (I had tried multiple versions). I'll likely slap it in my Win7 workstation at the office to see how it does there. What a waste of fucking time. Now I have to go re-install and configure Plex and a bunch of other shit because of the clean install.
So it's confirmed that the 670 has gone wonky. Installed it on my office workstation and it's crashed the display driver a couple times just looking at PDF's and web pages. Fucking bizarre that the problems started at the exact same time that I upgraded the HTPC to Win10. What a waste of time fucking around with reinstalling drivers and OS's...

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
So on Windows 10, I have multi monitors, sometimes when I drag one window to another monitor, it like minimizes everything, or it will bring up like a full screen task manager. How do I turn that shit off? I don't know what that features called so I can't really search for it.

Also, when I move the mouse into the upper left corner of the screen and want to move to the other monitor it wont move there, it sticks. I have to move it under slightly to move it over there, despite display settings showing the below (properly next to each other, each monitor is same resolution). Is there a way to change that too?

rrr_img_119911.png