Windows 10

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Noticed the text of an application name is missing when I hover over an icon on my Start menu.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I think they removed the old control panel from the start menu, not the tiles but the dropdown in windows/system Still in windows tho, run control panel opens it up. I guess they are phasing it out over time.

Also my icons on the desktop seem washed out suddenly with the patch. Maybe from switching at the black/light theme on the color settings page. Just appears like it's always behind a semi transparent window ahead of it, which it's not.

Last edited:

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Supposedly the bug was reported during inner ring or whatever dumb name they call their beta testing program and they didn't fix it. There is also a bug with task manager reporting false abnormally high CPU usage with the new update. Normally, I just update immediately, but didn't find the time to do it this time so I avoided this clusterfuck of an update thankfully.

Borzak

Video I watched yesterday said Microsoft would help you get your files back. They called Microsoft support and the person they talked to had no idea what they were talking about. I did the update but been getting update notifications daily I guess they are shoveling stuff out in an attempt to fix it. I need to reinstall 10 due to other issues (My back up of 7 installed over 10 I already had installed and that's not good) but I'm waiting for the updates to stop and settle down to do it now.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I'm glad I ghost my drives regularly .. some odd reason recent Win10update, destroyed my boot sector.(work is still using Win7/*nix systems)

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
This seems kind of like a Windows issue, so maybe you guys can help. See attachment.

I installed a WD Black 4GB drive this afternoon and I've tried every-which-way to try and get Disk Management to recognize it, so I can partition it, to no avail.

It's showing up in Device Manager and in Western Digital's diagnostic application (attachment), but isn't showing up in Disk Management (attachment).

Any thoughts? I'm currently running an extended test with WD's app.

Capture.PNG

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
I'm pretty sure it's your Disk 0, Basic 3726.01 GB Online Unallocated. Right click in the Unallocated window and select "initialize". That should get you going.

disk_manage.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm trying to get Win10 for my new computer but not too sure how to go about it. The official keys from MS are like 200euros. But trying to buy them from nearly anywhere else besides PC shops drops down to like 5-10euros(Kinguin, amazon, various cd keys sites and such). Obviously these are kinda shady keys but how shady? Anyone got any experience buying those cheap keys? I understand a bunch won't even activate so it's a bit like russian roulette but with the price difference you can afford a few of them anyway, can they be cancelled later on? Should I just look into cracked versions? I haven't had a cracked OS since like 15years ago but with all the win10 shit like how it's linked to the Microsoft store and what not, are cracked versions even a reliable thing anymore?

I kinda don't want to spend the full price on it obviously that's why I'm wondering.

Last edited:

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I'm trying to get Win10 for my new computer but not too sure how to go about it. The official keys from MS are like 200euros. But trying to buy them from nearly anywhere else besides PC shops drops down to like 5-10euros(Kinguin, amazon, various cd keys sites and such). Obviously these are kinda shady keys but how shady? Anyone got any experience buying those cheap keys? I understand a bunch won't even activate so it's a bit like russian roulette but with the price difference you can afford a few of them anyway, can they be cancelled later on? Should I just look into cracked versions? I haven't had a cracked OS since like 15years ago but with all the win10 shit like how it's linked to the Microsoft store and what not, are cracked versions even a reliable thing anymore?

I kinda don't want to spend the full price on it obviously that's why I'm wondering.

I've bought keys from Reddit key buy/sell subs before. They're pretty much all peer-reviewed. My current windows 10 license was an 8 one I bought off there for $20

Also, Windows 7 keys still work for Windows 10 upgrades as well AFAIK

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>

MS probably wouldn't sue individual buyers of GM keys, they would go after the distributors. I have heard reports of MS disabling keys, in which case Windows will revert to a "license free" version that will still mostly work, but wallpapers/personalization will be disabled, and there will be nag text on the desktop.

That being said, I have GMed both 7 and 10 keys a few times without any deactivations.

Borzak

I read an article I didn't really understand that some ruling in the EU that only applied to Germany that they could unload or sell bulk keys for some reason. If you go to ebay and search for windows 10 keys the majority of them will come up from Germany. Didn't understand why, but I think it was for a limited time.

I did buy one key from the reddit deal once and had no issue. The others I got thru a company that apparently buys them in bulk and gives them out which again seems odd.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Thanks everyone for the answers, sounds good I'll try the cheap keys it seems that's what everyone who doesn't run a company does it seems, just wasn't sure.

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This seems kind of like a Windows issue, so maybe you guys can help. See attachment.

I installed a WD Black 4GB drive this afternoon and I've tried every-which-way to try and get Disk Management to recognize it, so I can partition it, to no avail.

It's showing up in Device Manager and in Western Digital's diagnostic application (attachment), but isn't showing up in Disk Management (attachment).

Any thoughts? I'm currently running an extended test with WD's app.

View attachment 180792

How old is your system? If it's old it may have a 2.5TB disk/partition limit.

Regardless for Windows you will want to create it as GPT disk as opposed to MBR

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I bought a key off Reddit a few years ago and it got deactivated after about a year.

Ymmv.