Windows 10

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
So what happens when it's deactivated, does Windows stop working until you give it a working key again?

No. It just makes sure anyone who looks at the screen knows you’re using an unverified version, haha. And I don’t think it updates maybe? I just remember being annoyed by it, so I bought a legit copy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
My windows 7 deactivated when I changed motherboards and it just had a little thing on the bottom right of the screen saying "not activated" or whatever. I just moved it to the 2nd moniter till I upgraded to 10 a few months later. So basically nothing as most times can't see the 2nd moniter anyway unless I'm doing something specific.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Ah I see I wasn't sure what they did when that happened, guess I don't give a fuck then, just buy another 10bucks key or whatever until Windows 13.

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
For those with activation issues. I bought a legit full pro key, it got funked somehow after a year and a half, MS response was to buy another, eh fuck em. Never had any issues, have had a few people I know use without issues. Alternatively, not activating just causes the watermark in the bottom right, and you aren't allowed to change some of your setting under Personalize etc.

How to Activate Windows 10 for Free in 1-Click (Using CMD)

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
For those with activation issues. I bought a legit full pro key, it got funked somehow after a year and a half, MS response was to buy another, eh fuck em. Never had any issues, have had a few people I know use without issues. Alternatively, not activating just causes the watermark in the bottom right, and you aren't allowed to change some of your setting under Personalize etc.

How to Activate Windows 10 for Free in 1-Click (Using CMD)
Yeah I built up my new computer, said I didn't have a key when I installed because I read I could buy it after installing anyway, and it just launched fine. It blocks some of the cosmetics shit like desktop background and taskbar customization but other than that it kinda does nothing which is pretty funny. I'll just grab a cheap key for now. If it gets deactivated or whatever I'll just go for the free shit but might as well start "legit" for now. Fucking win10 has so much random shit everywhere though, first time I'm using it, it's pretty crazy. It downloaded a bunch of voice commands shit early on I don't even know why and how. I went and turned off a fuckton of stuff and hope it'll be enough. Using Pro so I can at least tell it to not automatically download windows updates it seems.

Honestly pretty surprised they just let you use the OS for free with only minor inconveniences tbh.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
my biggest issue with 10 right now is Cortana ... just what a waste of resources for something I'll never use, sadly they fixed the ability too disable the fucking thing(they made it a required "service") I've been looking thru (at least what I can get out of kernel messages) too see if it can be disabled again...

But now Search Service has some of the Cortana extensions also *sigh* I really don't care for this shit....

• 1Solidarity

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I don't mind Cortana other then that fact that they couldn't integrate "Run" commands into it, like wtf.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Separating Cortana from search is in the works, and MS has started selling Alexa devices on their storefront. Cortana is dead in the water like a usual MS "Copy what the others guys are doing" product.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Microsoft is building a Chromium-powered web browser that will replace Edge on Windows 10
Because of this, I'm told that Microsoft is throwing in the towel with EdgeHTML and is instead building a new web browser powered by Chromium, which uses a similar rendering engine first popularized by Google's Chrome browser known as Blink. Codenamed "Anaheim," this new browser for Windows 10 will replace Edge as the default browser on the platform, according to my sources, who wish to remain anonymous. It's unknown at this time if Anaheim will use the Edge brand or a new brand, or if the user interface (UI) between Edge and Anaheim is different. One thing is for sure, however; EdgeHTML in Windows 10's default browser is dead.

How the fuck am I going to get 1080p on Netflix now

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Get the Netflix 1080p extension for Chrome, complain about DRM, realize that we're just repeating the same old lockdown bullshit decade after decade.

Both it and the FF version are prone to a tug-of-war with Netflix disabling them AFAIK.

It's just all so stupid. It does literally nothing to deter piracy as Netflix shit can be found on torrents within 24 hours of it going live.

Sledge

Trakanon Raider
I just got a Surface Pro with Windows 10. I was just looking for something to keep track of notes and ideas that I write down everywhere, and then some email and very basic interwebz.

I'm coming from Windows 7 Professional and I'm not a big fan of Windows 10 starting off by asking me if it can have access to pretty much every single thing I do. Does the Professional version do the same thing? Is it possible to disable all the other invasive crap on the computer or do I have to sign my life away with these big companies?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Yes professional does as well, and yes there are ways of disabling the majority of it. Look into o&o shutup10 and dig around in the base privacy settings.

If you truly want to be free of this sort of thing now, the only option is to stop using modern electronics altogether. We are the product.

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just got a Surface Pro with Windows 10. I was just looking for something to keep track of notes and ideas that I write down everywhere, and then some email and very basic interwebz.

I'm coming from Windows 7 Professional and I'm not a big fan of Windows 10 starting off by asking me if it can have access to pretty much every single thing I do. Does the Professional version do the same thing? Is it possible to disable all the other invasive crap on the computer or do I have to sign my life away with these big companies?
Bleachedwhale is pretty good at nuking a lot of the windows native spyware, but not all of it.

Argarth

On the verandah
Microsoft have finally shipped a preview build of their new Chromium based version of Edge. Anyone can download it here: Microsoft Edge Insider.

Works fine as expected, but best of all it DOES play Netflix movies in Full HD (1920x1080), unlike other browsers (except old Edge) that Windows 10 limited to 1280x720.

Thank god; there's no longer any need to use that horrible Netflix Store App either.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I know it's part click bait and fixable but seriously microsoft?

Microsoft notified its users that the May Windows 10 update won't install on PCs using USB storage or SD cards. The company says it's blocking the installation on those PCs because "inappropriate drive reassignment" might occur and could impact both external devices and internal hard drives. As a workaround, users will need to remove any USB thumb drives, USB-based external hard drives or SD cards and restart the update.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
I know it's part click bait and fixable but seriously microsoft?

Microsoft notified its users that the May Windows 10 update won't install on PCs using USB storage or SD cards. The company says it's blocking the installation on those PCs because "inappropriate drive reassignment" might occur and could impact both external devices and internal hard drives. As a workaround, users will need to remove any USB thumb drives, USB-based external hard drives or SD cards and restart the update.

My C drive is a 970 Evo + on the the first m.2 slot. My D drive is a 970 Evo on a PCIe card...I wonder if the May update will be able to figure that out.

Why would an update even tamper with drive assignments? This feels like Microsoft wants my drives to do something for them that they can't count on removable drives doing.

The trillion dollar company shits wherever it wants. So...how viable is linux for gaming now? Gaming is the only thing that keeps me on Windows.

Last edited: