Windows 10

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
My C drive is a 970 Evo + on the the first m.2 slot. My D drive is a 970 Evo on a PCIe card...I wonder if the May update will be able to figure that out.

Why would an update even tamper with drive assignments? This feels like Microsoft wants my drives to do something for them that they can't count on removable drives doing.

The trillion dollar company shits wherever it wants. So...how viable is linux for gaming now? Gaming is the only thing that keeps me on Windows.

WINE has diffenetly gotten better over the past year, but sadly DirectX is still king for gaming. I know some companies have been trying to get away from it, but ease of access just makes it hard to pass up..

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
At least they told us how to avoid what will most certainly be a messed up update. Just put in a sd or usb drive and wait until it's been properly reviewed.

Fucker

Log Wizard
My C drive is a 970 Evo + on the the first m.2 slot. My D drive is a 970 Evo on a PCIe card...I wonder if the May update will be able to figure that out.

Why would an update even tamper with drive assignments? This feels like Microsoft wants my drives to do something for them that they can't count on removable drives doing.

The trillion dollar company shits wherever it wants. So...how viable is linux for gaming now? Gaming is the only thing that keeps me on Windows.

This is for USB and SD cards. To be fair to MS, this isn't their fault. Fucking brain dead UEFI programmers that are different not only from company to company, but from revision to revision and version to version. Standards have been lost in UEFI and MS is pushing back.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>

It's improving, especially on simple one-monitor setups thanks to Proton and a newfound willingness by AMD to get their FOSS drivers up to snuff, but still not 100% there. If you have more complex needs like multiple monitors, want G-sync or FreeSync, etc., still a pain in the ass.

Last edited:

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
WINE has diffenetly gotten better over the past year, but sadly DirectX is still king for gaming. I know some companies have been trying to get away from it, but ease of access just makes it hard to pass up..

Damnit. I could swear there was a Linus Tech Tips where the fat guy was claiming you can play pretty much anything on Linus
It's improving, especially on simple one-monitor setups thanks to Proton and a newfound willingness by AMD to get their FOSS drivers up to snuff, but still not 100% there. If you have a more complex needs like multiple monitors, want G-sync or FreeSync, etc., still a pain in the ass.

I can do with single monitor. Is Proton like a custom Wine?

It looks like people have gotten Division 2 to run on it.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
I can do with single monitor. Is Proton like a custom Wine?

Yes, basically it's Valve's fork of Wine with DXVK and other tools baked in. As far as GPU drivers go, if you have an Nvidia card, you want to use their binary/proprietary drivers; if you have AMD, you want to use the Mesa/open-source drivers.

Damnit. I could swear there was a Linus Tech Tips where the fat guy was claiming you can play pretty much anything on Linus

Fat guy is correct that you can play pretty much anything on Linux...if you are willing to spend time figuring out how to make it work. Most things require abstraction layers like Wine or Proton, and even then, you sometimes need to fuck around with config settings in the terminal to get the software to run. Yes, I eventually got FFXIV running semi-stable in Wine after a couple days of banging my head against it, but I/most people just want to be able to press install, double-click, and go.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider

It looks like people have gotten Division 2 to run on it.

Oh you can, don't expect the latest DX features, prepare to be staring at config files for hours on end(some games are shiping with config settings for proton), it is not a simple install/update, and just play. I did look into it a bit last year, but it is just not there yet, and probably won't be for a long time too come..

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Large issue also is as far as I could tell when I looked into it, you basically are losing performance on everything you run on Linux, regardless of how it's run. I guess because optimization is only done on Windows so even games that kinda support Linux out of the box still run worse on Linux.

I do hope in a few years they get that shit sorted out as I wouldn't mind not having to use Windows, but for now it's a kinda meh option, unless you really hate windows.

Also wtf at that May update. I wonder when it's gonna force me to download it and fuck up everything because I have an USB drive plugged in. I have that shit on delay but seems after the delay is up I have to install whatever they want me to install, last time it kept installing shit for a few days in a row even. That said, 10 is way less annoying than I thought it'd be. I guess having the Pro version and turning off everything right away helped a fair bit. I don't even get the stupid Firewall is off warnings shit that popped everytime I booted my PC before. Next version is sure to be a jimmy rustler for several years too though the way they're going, so I'll probably stay on 10 as long as I can.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
If devs want games on multiple OS's they have too build the games to be that way, Wine/Photon does do some amazing work with what they have, but it is limited.(Factorio is a good example of this)

With new updates it seems that MS are working on more of "WSL"

But now the problem is, with Epic being cunts and buying up Kamu. Steam is now back into the stone age when it comes to this stuff. They were working with Kamu on a Linux solution for the EAC system, but now that's fucking gone, cause as Epic put it, "Not playing on Windows is like leaving Canada..." WTF?

• 1Solidarity

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
It's interesting that Windows is embracing linux these days. This summer they will bring a full linux kernel to WSL.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
It's interesting that Windows is embracing linux these days. This summer they will bring a full linux kernel to WSL.

That's not all; they're also creating a new open-source terminal that allows old-style Windows commands, PowerShell cmdlets, and Linux all in one.

MS makes the lion's share of their revenue with enterprise licensing, mostly Office and Azure. Their "personal computing" division is only about 30% of their operating income, and that division includes Xbox, so the amount of money they make off of selling OEM Windows these days is relatively small.

They have much more to gain by making Windows "free" or close to free (courting developer market share back from Apple, being able to mine everyone's data) than they do by focusing hard on Windows licensing like they did in the past. It wouldn't surprise me if they eventually try to make Windows full Linux in the intermediate to long term, say 15-20 years.

Last edited:

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
That's not all; they're also creating a new open-source terminal that allows old-style Windows commands, PowerShell cmdlets, and Linux all in one.

MS makes the lion's share of their revenue with enterprise licensing, mostly Office and Azure. Their "personal computing" division is only about 30% of their operating income, and that division includes Xbox, so the amount of money they make off of selling OEM Windows these days is relatively small.

They have much more to gain by making Windows "free" or close to free (courting developer market share back from Apple, being able to mine everyone's data) than they do by focusing hard on Windows licensing like they did in the past. It wouldn't surprise me if they eventually try to make Windows full Linux in the intermediate to long term, say 15-20 years.

Is their linux going to be a corrupted form of it, though--one that's always sending out user data?

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
It will be interesting what they dig out of the data stream for the next WLS version, we don't know "what" they are doing with it we know some very basic info, that it is in the "pipe" and on the way.

Probably find out more info once the update hits "preview for enterprise" state..

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
How it is resource wise? Chrome seems to be such a resource hog at times and I'm looking into getting another browser.
They're all pretty fucking bad, especially if you watch Twitch etc.