Windows 10

Siliconemelons

So I am almost a month in to transition part time in my new IT Director role...

In that role most of the people are Mac users... so I have been using a Mac while there as my main computer.

While 10 years ago windows was truly "behind" the "OSX experience " I have to say that it is the opposite now imo... OSX is "nice" but it does things so poorly or not as all...or not intuitive compared to what 10 is now.

And one thing I hate about Macs that is no better now- is you have little sense of where things "are" on your hard drive... Windows it's structured and you know. Programs, documents, folders, desktop blabla

In Mac world it's "just press save and only access the files from the program you want to use them in- we got this" while windows it's, find the file and open it

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Anyone else having problems with their computer waking from sleep mode constantly?

Also, Windows image preview crashes on 3 of my Windows 10 machines now. I ended up having to download a 3rd party program to view images, even on my computers at work.

Jovec

?
Anyone else having problems with their computer waking from sleep mode constantly?

Try running "powercfg -lastwake" from a commandline. It will show what woke the computer up and sometimes you can disable that device option.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
So I am almost a month in to transition part time in my new IT Director role...

In that role most of the people are Mac users... so I have been using a Mac while there as my main computer.

While 10 years ago windows was truly "behind" the "OSX experience " I have to say that it is the opposite now imo... OSX is "nice" but it does things so poorly or not as all...or not intuitive compared to what 10 is now.

And one thing I hate about Macs that is no better now- is you have little sense of where things "are" on your hard drive... Windows it's structured and you know. Programs, documents, folders, desktop blabla

In Mac world it's "just press save and only access the files from the program you want to use them in- we got this" while windows it's, find the file and open it
I've seen a few YouTube developer commentators admit to dumping their Mac and moving back to a PC.

The only way I would even consider a Mac is if I could build my own. That's not really an option so screw 'em.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Also, Windows image preview crashes on 3 of my Windows 10 machines now. I ended up having to download a 3rd party program to view images, even on my computers at work.

Its kind of the opposite. But since this new IT Security team came in, our computers have been jack shit (Hence, why Im thinking about building my own personal one to the side). But you can sit down at a computer, it'll wake up, you can move your mouse, but the screens are black. Nothing but the cursor. Only option is to hit the power button and restart it. Whats that all about?

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
For those of you with Ryzen processors, 1903 (the May update) includes some scheduler enhancements so that Windows handles CCX-type CPUs as intended. I haven't done an exhaustive list of benches yet, but I did get a modest uplift in my FF14 Shadowbringers bench (1.2% in 1080p on max; I'd wager bigger gains if I trimmed graphics settings, because I am probably GPU-bound.)

However, if you are an artist doing video/audio recording, you may want to wait for a little while, because supposedly 1903 has some DPC latency issues.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Updated too latest build of 1903 today ~ not bad much better then the earlier beta build I got, but fuckin Cortana is still around, and some odd reason the released update stripped my Admin access on my account(WTF?), easy fix but god damn I haven't seen a "Admin has blocked msg" in years, and that was just too update Classic Shell..

Malakriss

Finally updated one of my old Win7 machines today. The process was make sure you have latest BIOS then go to the microsoft site download for Win10, get the tool, upgrade for free. No fancy tricks required.

Still had to turn off a crapload of their data farming options and re-sync the clock cause it wasn't registering DST.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Finally updated one of my old Win7 machines today. The process was make sure you have latest BIOS then go to the microsoft site download for Win10, get the tool, upgrade for free. No fancy tricks required.

Still had to turn off a crapload of their data farming options and re-sync the clock cause it wasn't registering DST.
Free upgrade still a thing? Thought they killed that. Even the disability loophole.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Free upgrade still a thing? Thought they killed that. Even the disability loophole.

As of now, it's been working no problem. Just download the media creation tool and run the windows 10 in place upgrade. Works fine, activates fine.

• 1Solidarity

Malakriss

For legit Windows 7/8 installs it seems they won't close off the free tool upgrade because they want users to transition to 10 as painlessly as possible.

But if you're doing a new machine or upgrading to Pro that's where they will fleece you to buy a key (and thus you should use whatever tricks to get around that while you can).

• 1Like

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Nice. Hmm. But keys bind to ms account, right? So, like, what if I want to sell an old lappy that came with windows 7/8, that has been upgraded to 10 and thus bound my account. I can't sell the lappy then with either windows 10, or the versions that came with it, right?

I have my eyes on another Thinkpad relic, T460s, perhaps a T470s, heh.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Nice. Hmm. But keys bind to ms account, right? So, like, what if I want to sell an old lappy that came with windows 7/8, that has been upgraded to 10 and thus bound my account. I can't sell the lappy then with either windows 10, or the versions that came with it, right?

I have my eyes on another Thinkpad relic, T460s, perhaps a T470s, heh.

They don't bind to your MS account if you don't sign in to the computer with your account as far as I remember. They just hide the offline account options during install

• 1Solidarity

Malakriss

With the coming Win7 apocalypse in another 10 days what's the cheapest option to keep older Win7 Home towers still viable? These are recycled family rigs not used for any heavy lifting, so I was thinking of getting a couple cheap Win 8 Pro keys off ebay or something. At minimum I want them to be Pro + have at least 3 years to die of natural causes. Any better/cheap options?

Fucker

Log Wizard
With the coming Win7 apocalypse in another 10 days what's the cheapest option to keep older Win7 Home towers still viable? These are recycled family rigs not used for any heavy lifting, so I was thinking of getting a couple cheap Win 8 Pro keys off ebay or something. At minimum I want them to be Pro + have at least 3 years to die of natural causes. Any better/cheap options?

W7 EOL just means no more patches for home users. The OS will still be fine. If it comes down to it, toss W10 on them using Ebay keys. Skip 8.