Windows 10

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I've been dual booting between my regular Windows 8.1 install and my preview build. Got the newest preview build installed, but then set Windows 8.1 back to the default OS like I have every other time, and now Windows 10 is just completely missing from the boot store.

I feel like this is going to involve hours worth of BCDEDIT to fix.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I feel like I've lost the stupidest lottery in the world by not having a Windows 10 preview icon or whatever. It is Windows... so who really cares, but others have it and I don't!

Lenas

Trump's Staff
It wont show up unless you've got most/all of the windows updates installed. If you have a bunch waiting that's probably why.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah there is def one that keeps failing with some error code that returns no results on Google, I'll try again after I'm back on the 4th.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
GPT tables... something... something... woops! Glad I didn't need any of the data on that drive... Couldn't even mount any of the volumes.

DISKPART CLEAN NUKE IT FROM ORBIT JUST TO BE SURE.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Yeah there is def one that keeps failing with some error code that returns no results on Google, I'll try again after I'm back on the 4th.
I was having the same problems and just couldn't get it fixed. There were a few scripts I found on the Microsoft site that were suppose to fix most of the issues that were preventing the icon from showing up but these never worked for me. In fact they fucked up my Win7 install to the point where it was Blue Screening within a few minutes of loading. I wound up nuking the entire OS and reinstalling it. That fixed the problem and the icon finally showed up!

Heian

Molten Core Raider
I got a Asus G751JY ROG laptop and I got the notification. I'm kinda scared to accept the upgrade to window 10. I'm used to build my own computer and not used to deal with a company's preinstalled drivers.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I got a Asus G751JY ROG laptop and I got the notification. I'm kinda scared to accept the upgrade to window 10. I'm used to build my own computer and not used to deal with a company's preinstalled drivers.
Not sure why you think installing Windows 10 would not allow you to install drivers by yourself.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just got a new download via the Insider Program. Looks like a July Update build 10162 is available. Still no RTM tag though. /boggle

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
There's a 10162 full install ISO up on the Windows Insider page, that's about as close to an RTM as you're going to get at this point in time.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I am still pleasantly enjoying w10, my only gripe still is them forcing stupid beta drivers down my through, but its to be expected for the testing.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I am OK with it but... I just like Win 7 interface still. It's not that it's 'new', I've been using 8 at work for years now but... the toggle between desktop mode and metro even in Win 10 is just unnecessary and jarring. It might as well be alt-tabbing between Windows and an Android emulator.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
10 feels like a great middle ground between 7 and 8 to me. The stupid login metro ui is gone and i kind of fancy how the start menu is done up now. Settings could possibly be a bit different but overall its been pretty great to me.

Argarth

On the verandah
the toggle between desktop mode and metro even in Win 10 is just unnecessary and jarring. It might as well be alt-tabbing between Windows and an Android emulator.
No longer true.

The toggle to Metro can be completely turned off, so that the Tiles now appear in the Start Menu (Settings/Personalization/Start Menu). Metro Apps in Win 10 now run in resizable windows, or full-screen, just like native Windows desktop applications. Even if you have no desire to use or even see Metro App tiles, they can all be unpinned from the Start Menu and the Metro interface might as well not even exist for you. Download "Classic Shell" for those that simply can't let go of the old Win7 Start Menu look.

Resisting the (free) move to Windows 10 no longer makes any sense at all; the performance and memory management of the underlying OS is a massive improvement over Windows 7, and DX12 just makes it a no-brainer.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I've been using classic shell 8 since I had to upgrade some of my work machines. Unfortunately other people or stations in the organization aren't so lucky and have RDS which is, you guessed it, Win 8 vanilla. Like I said 10 is OK, haven't really touched settings much, but I just am frustrated I have to fiddle around with shit constantly to get it to work directly like an OS should. If I want games I should install them. If I want huge ass tiles with idiotic msnbc bing news in my start menu, I should put it there. Just aggravatingevery fucking timeI have to deal with a new Win 8 box (and from my experiences so far the same with Win 10) it's loaded with 'UI bloatware' even when it's a clean install.

I'm just grumbling of course and I'm sure some kids who don't know what a floppy disk is and a bunch of Grandmas love that their sports news and freemium facebook bullshit came preinstalled but meh, I shouldn't have to do this shit on Pro editions. That said I don't think I've installed Win 10 'pro' yet, just the home one but I'm guessing it's the same way Win 8/.1 was with 'HI LET ME INSTALL ALL THESE FUCKING WORTHLESS APPS WHILE I TAKE 43 MINUTES TO MAKE YOUR PROFILE AND SIGN YOU UP FOR OFFICE 365!'