Windows 10

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
rrr_img_105149.png

Reddit is reporting that by following the attached pic you can once again control how Windows 10 installs updates. Apparently this only works on the Pro version though. I can't verify since I'm waiting a few days before I upgrade but there you go.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
From what I'm reading on Reddit you must do the free upgrade first to generate a new Win10 key before you can do a full clean install.

Stolen from Reddit:
I have done this myself and it works 100%. I understand there is a similar post but it still has some vagueness in it and I believe some individuals think you must only upgrade with the .exe, which leaves files behind (it left fraps behind even though I did a reset, etc). You can do a FULL clean install this way.
  • Upgrade your Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 System to Windows 10.
  • If you are having issues receiving your upgrade download this:http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10[1] and select "Upgrade this system", allow it to run and upgrade your system.
  • Once you have upgraded make 110% sure you are on an Activated Windows 10 Operating System and verify the VERSION you have: Home, Pro, Etc. This can be done via System in Control Panel.
  • Download this tool again on your Upgraded Windows 10 Installation:http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10[2] .
  • Select Download for Another Computer. Select the appropriate version of Windows 10 and create an ISO.
  • Install using the USB/DVD ISO you've created as you would a fresh installation of any Operating System.
  • When prompted for a Product Key select skip. It will ask several times just continue to skip.
  • When you are in your new Clean Install it will automatically activate when you are online.
This was taken from Microsofts site:
Note
If you upgraded to Windows 10 on this PC by taking advantage of the free upgrade offer and successfully activated Windows 10 on this PC in the past, you won't have a Windows 10 product key, and you can skip the product key page by selecting the Skip button. Your PC will activate online automatically so long as the same edition of Windows 10 was successfully activated on this PC by using the free Windows 10 upgrade offer.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...d=ms_wol_win10[3]
EDIT: Some users are stating that Windows 10 is requiring several restarts before it activates or throws an error code. It should eventually activate. Remember that the servers are likely overloaded right now. In an effort to force the activation you may try this:
For all that get the message "Windows can't activate right now. Try again later" open an elevated command prompt and type "slmgr.vbs /ato" (without quotes).

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
rrr_img_105149.png

Reddit is reporting that by following the attached pic you can once again control how Windows 10 installs updates. Apparently this only works on the Pro version though. I can't verify since I'm waiting a few days before I upgrade but there you go.
I can confirm this works. The first time I opened it was missing the option, but after some updates and a reboot it was available.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
rrr_img_105149.png

Interesting since that same exact GPO setting has been around since Windows XP. All it does is programmatically emulate the same settings available in the Windows Update settings page and lock them down from being changed.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
So how long does the Windows updater window supposed to say "working on it?" It's been that way for me for 20 minutes.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
So how long does the Windows updater window supposed to say "working on it?" It's been that way for me for 20 minutes.
No Idea for Windows 10, but when I setup a new Windows 2012 box it probably spends 30 minutes cataloguing 100+ updates. Obviously I would expect a lot less for a new release of Windows..

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
My 3 pro versions activated automatically like last week some time when the most recent version was released. I ordered a surface pro i plan to put it on also, the thing im wondering is if i do a full clean format will i need my key or will it already activate itself again automatically upon logging into my MS account.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
No Idea for Windows 10, but when I setup a new Windows 2012 box it probably spends 30 minutes cataloguing 100+ updates. Obviously I would expect a lot less for a new release of Windows..
I'm thinking it's not working right. It's not using the disk or network at all. It's just a spinning circle with no status update.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
I had to reboot for the installer to work correctly. I initially had an issue with my mouse wheel not scrolling most windows. I soon discovered that the Katmouse app was conflicting with the new mouse settings in Windows 10. Katmouse's features are now built-in to Windows.

The Edge browser is pretty quick. The killer: no extension support, so no 1Password availability.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Upgraded my Latop and no problems to report. I'll do a clean install on that this weekend. I'm Going to do my desktop pc as soon as I get done backing up stuff and then do an upgrade and clean install it tomorrow I think.

Edit: Solitaire costs $10 a year if you want to play it ad free now. Gotta make up for that lost windows 10 revenue I guess.

error_sl

shitlord
Three machines running it so far and one of them is a MacBook Air, no problems to report. I've been running the technical preview at work for a few months without any major hitches either. As a hotkey/typist, I never understood the Windows 8 hate (I ignored the metro screen mostly) and Windows 10 is just an all around improvement so far. I am a little concerned with the amount of items that send information to MS/Google/etc nowadays to 'improve' your experience. It definitely does, but at what cost...? I guess they'll have all our data cubed soon enough.

edit: AdBlock for Edge can't come soon enough.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Something I hadn't noticed on the beta, the Windows 10 sounds are fucking annoying. They also don't seem to relate to any of the sounds Windows has made since time immemorial, and they're obnoxiously long too.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
I am editing extremely arcane parts of the registry to change how the folders are laid out in the lefthand panel in File Explorer.

What am I doing with my life?

PS: There's a GUID I can't track down.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I don't suppose anyone has a viable Win7 code key they wouldn't mind sharing?

I'll send you Tuco noodz.