Windows 10

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Satellite internet. It is a joke but there is no alternative.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I assume you can use the ISO to upgrade for free version like you can the insider one if you could DL it to a flash drive at work/library/internet cafe/etc.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Upgrading through the app actually uses windows update to do it, so check there and it will tell you it it's done downloading it. Burning 5GB of bandwidth sounds odd though. I upgraded from W7 home and the download was just under 3GB for me. I suppose drivers could account for some of it, but that seems high.

Once you do upgrade to 10, make sure you set your connection as a metered connection. That will stop windows from downloading updates until you ok it and it also reduces the amount of data that programs can use while in the background.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure where to see the download, but this is my windows update log. No more data has been disappearing so I assume it's done downloading but I'm not sure why the install keeps failing unless they really want me to put a login on my computer.

IZkm38i.png

zbWEIJD.png

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Make a disk. My daughters machine wouldn't update and each time it tried to perform the update from 7 > 10 it downloaded the files. Ended up having to wipe her machine. Thank god she only had Minecraft installed (all 19 fucking gigs of MINECRAFT?!).

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I just remembered that I did some hacky shit to this machine to make it log in without going to the screen and getting the password. Maybe I need to undo that. Wish I could remember what I did :p.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure where to see the download, but this is my windows update log. No more data has been disappearing so I assume it's done downloading but I'm not sure why the install keeps failing unless they really want me to put a login on my computer.
That error code means the download is corrupted, this happened to me on my first attempt to upgrade as well. This is especially unfortunate for you since you have such a minuscule monthly cap.

This is the fix:
1. Go into "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" and delete everything in that folder.
2. Now, run the command prompt as an administrator. Type in "wuauclt.exe /updatenow".
3. Go to your Control Panel > Windows Update and your Windows 10 should start re-downloading from scratch, hopefully without flaws this time.

Unfortunately you have to go through the upgrade process once for MS to authorize your hardware, as you don't get a key that you could use in a clean install. Do you have somewhere you could bring your machine that has non shit internet that you could use for the download? Mine worked flawlessly on the second attempt.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Yuck. I'm not DLing again here, maybe I can take it to town and borrow somebody's internet for a while. Unfortunately most of my relatives seem to think that even though cable is available their 1.5mbps DSL is "just fine" for $15 a month.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
IMO get a thumb drive and run the Windows 10 utility that lets you download straight to the USB drive. You can then install straight from there + have it as a backup.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I just remembered that I did some hacky shit to this machine to make it log in without going to the screen and getting the password. Maybe I need to undo that. Wish I could remember what I did :p.
I can tell you how to do this off the top of my head.

1. Open regedit.
2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.
3. Change "AutoAdminLogon" to 1.
4. Change "DefaultUserName" to your user name.
5. Create a new REG_SZ (string value) and name is "DefaultPassword".
6. Change "DefaultPassword" to your account password.

All done.

You can do this using netplwiz too, I think, but I can't see the options as my computers are all on a domain. Can't do autologon on a domain.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
IMO get a thumb drive and run the Windows 10 utility that lets you download straight to the USB drive. You can then install straight from there + have it as a backup.
The problem with that is that (unless the explanations of the process I've seen are wrong) he has to go through the upgrade process in the W10 upgrade program to have his hardware authorized for it. Once he has done the upgrade he can do a clean install from a USB and windows will automatically activate itself on that hardware from then on out.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
cant save a .jpeg to the pictures folder. need admin rights. i am the admin. i am the only user, and the admin. quit being a cunt windows 10. like pictures, a segment of users->me needs super speshul protection. Nothing sacred is stored there. it's neighbor, downloads, was deemed acceptable. the sense of security i feel is like a warm blanket ON A HOT DAY.

i fix it tomorrow

edit-apparently i have thisDefault Settings Causing Major - Microsoft Community

ghei

I got that free invite, and upgraded. surprisingly it went smooth. But my sound stopped working, so I upgraded my drivers to windows 10 compatible and it worked for a while then stopped again. Any ideas what the problem could be or how to fix? I'm using a PCIe SB X-FI Titanium sound card.

Edit;
I am using the generic windows drivers and it seems to be working so far. Hopefully they will figure out how to make the actual drivers work soon.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
10 on 75m devices, 1 month after release.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/08/windows-10-installed-on-75-million-devices-after-just-a-month-of-availability/

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I must be the only one around here that isn't having a problem with 10 at all. Oh well!

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
How funny. I'm also going back to win 7. Laptop is very sluggish, bsod twice and it very irresponsible. You need a beefy machine.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Still don't understand why anyone would use 7 over 8.1 w/Classic Start. Mind boggling.