Windows 10

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
Any idea how to get rid of the watermark on the bottom right on the trial version? Transferred the files from my laptop - which was running Windows 8 - to a new computer that didn't have an OS installed. It seems to disappear when I restart, but it pops back up if I log off.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
So I have Office 2016 installed on Windows 10. It wont open some XLS files by default (such as XLSM). When I load Excel, it says "Excel is not set as the default program to launch Excel files. Do you want to change the associations?" so I say yes. Windows 10 then tells me to go to settings > system > Default apps.

I then see XLS File, and XLSM/XLST, etc etc files.. with "Choose a default" as the only option. I click that and the only option I can pick is "Search the store". I can't for the life of me get this to work. Can someone tell me how the fuck to fix this and make this shit easier?

I'm hating Windows 10 the more I use this piece of shit.

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
So I have Office 2016 installed on Windows 10. It wont open some XLS files by default (such as XLSM). When I load Excel, it says "Excel is not set as the default program to launch Excel files. Do you want to change the associations?" so I say yes. Windows 10 then tells me to go to settings > system > Default apps.

I then see XLS File, and XLSM/XLST, etc etc files.. with "Choose a default" as the only option. I click that and the only option I can pick is "Search the store". I can't for the life of me get this to work. Can someone tell me how the fuck to fix this and make this shit easier?

Can you right click the file you're trying to open, select Open With.., select Excel(if its not there, browse for the exe), and then check "Use this Program as the Default" (bottom of the window)?

Ortega

Vyemm Raider

Dude, go to Control Panel > All Control Panel Items, Default Programs, Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program. Find the file extension and double click on it then select Excel 2016.

You can also just hit the windows key and search for "Default Programs". Just make sure it's the one with a window type icon and a green check mark, not the gear box.

Explosivo_sl

shitlord
Did Microsoft ever state why they were rolling out 10 for free? I've always regarded the saying "If it's free, you're the product" as true, especially in the modern era, so I've been skeptical about upgrading. Is there any reason I should feel that way about 10?

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Because they have a new paradigm and they want to get people off of old versions as quickly as possible.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm not sure how adopted the various legacy groups were with 7/8, though I know there were absolute bastions of XP out there. By effectively offering a "superior" product that unifies the vista/7/8 market, they kind of cut down on the need to support the non-xp OS'. Which translates to savings along the way, as well as that segment (they just had to be better than 7 really, as 8 was not well received in the first place) all being on the same tier for fixes reduces their potential overhead in defending against specific malicious software.

Haven't read anything saying specific stuff that is concrete on the horizon, but I would imagine there's going to be a lot more SaaS type offerings on the win10 platform as the adoption rate gets higher. Devices that are always online are a lot easier to guarantee that you have charged them correctly, so more subscription services are almost 100% guaranteed on the horizon.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I think the main reason for making upgrades free is that most people didn't bother to upgrade and they decided that the money that they made off of charging for upgrades was not worth the hassle of supporting 7 old versions of Windows that people were still using. Windows 10 is not free if you're getting a new computer, it's only free to upgrade from previous versions. I think corporations with site licenses still have to pay for upgrades as well?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I guess pressing "no" or closing out of the upgrade button wasn't good enough for Microsoft. I don't want Windows 10! This morning, I was greeted with this screen.

JFWN3EB.png

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Clicking on the drop down menu, it allows me to extend that to 2, 4, 6 or 8 hours.
By clicking reschedule, I can delay it up until March 14th. Aside from that, it's "fuck you, here's windows 10".

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I kept getting them for a while. Then I plugged in a device via USB that hasn't released a windows 10 driver and it went away.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I wish I had read that sooner.

I came home from work today and... surprise. My wife started my computer and thought she would be helpful and installed Windows 10 on me. Fuck. I'll have to figure this shit out now.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I wish I had read that sooner.

I came home from work today and... surprise. My wife started my computer and thought she would be helpful and installed Windows 10 on me. Fuck. I'll have to figure this shit out now.
Lucky for you it is a super easy transition from 7 to 10. much much easier than 7 to 8

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Not really that impressed with it *shrug*

most of the newer features are worthless to me, Cortana is pointless to me sense I can't talk EDGE is just bad glad I backed up my PDF's before I installed.

I'll just keep it around I guess for the DX12 stuff, but that is the only thing that interest me(and the bloatware is just bad, powershell to the rescue.)

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
OH NO, THEY ARE GOING TO MAKE ME UPGRADE TO A BETTER OS THAN THE ONE I'M USING. WOE IS ME.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
At this point, his weariness is perhaps not warranted. But given the history of XP -> Vista and 7 -> 8, it's still understandable to take the "why fix it if it's not broke?" stance. I've "upgraded" my machine from 7 -> 10. "upgraded" because I'm not sure what I've gained. Maybe it's more stable underneath, there's more performance improvements, idk, but from typical user's standpoint, not sure what I got.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I upgraded to WIndows 10 and no value was gained

All of my trepidation was due to me buying Windows ME a long time ago. I am a ruined man.