Windows 10

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
You know their "goodwill" has gone to shit when the media has to have a story on how to click on the right spot to make annoying crap go away and not get it. I'm old enouigh to remember when people got windows because they used it at work. Now I dunno, just not another option without investing a good portion of time and energy to get around it. Tho for the non game crowd I would guess a lot could be done with nothing more than a chromebook.

One wrong click could get you Windows 10 - whether you want it or not - Yahoo Finance

One_wrong_click_could_get-5d62db3768a684d5e98fc2b1880c1603

spronk

FPS noob
Luckily she was fat enough to obscure most of it.
that reminds me of the mexican channel's weather girl, i bet she doesn't have any windows 10 problems

fun fact: she is dating a MLG call of duty pro player, Faze Censor. Gaming does make dreams come true!!!

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
MS deserves the bad press but I think 90% of the people crying about the upgrades are just looking for something to complain about and will probably be better off with Win10 anyway. My Mom called me and asked if she should upgrade to 10 when the thing popped up and I just told her yes, go ahead, it's free. Everything is fine. My only complaint with Win10 is that the solitaire game is always asking me to sign in to Xbox live. No thanks MS I don't feel the need to alert the internet to how many solitaire games I am winning today.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There was a comment in one of the reddit threads about how half of their office PCs auto-upgraded and were banned from use because of potential HIPAA violations with all of the telemetry spyware. The IT guys couldn't simply go through and revert they had to scrub the whole OS and verify none of that persisted. As for the work at home people, those are just lawsuits in the making.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Shouldn't an office PC be on enterprise editions anyways and not home editions?
You're only entitled to Enterprise edition if you're under an MS Enterprise agreement I believe, and I don't think the edition is what blocks the auto-install, but the fact that most companies use WSUS to install updates, not MS Update. In the case of the former, you simply decline the upgrade package.

If an office gets upgraded by accident then their admin should be shot, because even in the absence of Enterprise/WSUS, there is a reg key/gpo your can create to block the upgrade.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, if you actually read it you know what to do. It's still stupid and MS should be giving people an option to permanently decline the upgrade or to be reminded just before it stops being free.

Borzak

I think the biggest thing that has people ticked off is the pop up has changed several times. The wording and the location of what to click to cancel and such.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I should be clear, there is a fucking outlook 365 groups IOS and Android app. But no windows 10 app. I have to log into the webportal to use Outlook Groups my boss insists that we use because he is tired of paying for evernote.

Borzak

They said they settled to avoid further legal expenses. I smell a class action suit coming lol.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I have a question about the best way to go about re-installing Windows 10. I've been having some performance issues, and rather than trying to troubleshoot it I am just going to do a new install. I have 3 HD's in my computer. The C: drive is my SSD where the OS and some applications are, the E drive for some other applications as well as pictures and personal information, and the F drive which has all the media on it.

Ideally I would like to remove all the applications from the E drive, and then just leave the E and F drives alone while wiping the C drive and doing a clean install. I see there is this reset option I can go through, or I can create an image and load it off a USB.

So my question is this. Can I use the reset option, and if so does it let me specify to only wipe the C drive? I see it has a couple options when you start, but I don't want to go too far and find out I am wiping everything. Or is it better to do the install from the USB, and if I do that can I keep my E and F drives as is without having to format them?

jeydax

Death and Taxes
If you have enough space on the F drive I'd move all of your pictures/personal info from the E drive to F drive. Then do a fresh install, formatting the C and E drive in the process. I am about 99.9% sure you're going to want to format the E drive in the process as the programs won't just work if you do not wipe it and reinstall. After the fresh install, move Pictures/Personal info back over to E drive.

Someone else can correct me. Pretty sure I'm right though.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Okay thanks, I will give that a shot and let you know how it turns out!

purGe

Molten Core Raider
Slightly off topic but perhaps relevant, stumbled upon a documentary about stuxnet and then fell down the rabbit hole and sat through a talk explaining how Microsoft patched the vulnerabilities used. It was really interesting how much resources the government supposedly spent and continues to spend on cyberwarfare (hundreds of millions to billions), I thought shit they may as well develop an operating system with this shit built in. And then I remembered, Windows 10 sounds like something right up their ally. Microsoft doesn't have to spend time fixing holes and Gov doesn't have to fight the patches that fixes the vulnerabilities if you have access directly through Microsoft, give that shit away and everyone wins except the "bad guys." I guess it all comes down to how much do you trust the government by proxy of Microsoft. I hear North Korea has it's own OS so don't tell me the idea is crazy, although my tinfoil hat has a few crinkles in it.

Zero Days (2016) - A documentary focused on Stuxnet, a piece of self-replicating computer malware that the U.S. and Israel unleashed to destroy a key part of an Iranian nuclear facility, and which ultimately spread beyond its intended target. : Documentaries
27C3: Adventures in analyzing Stuxnet (Bruce Dang from Microsoft) - YouTube
Red Star OS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia