Windows 10

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
With the coming Win7 apocalypse in another 10 days what's the cheapest option to keep older Win7 Home towers still viable? These are recycled family rigs not used for any heavy lifting, so I was thinking of getting a couple cheap Win 8 Pro keys off ebay or something. At minimum I want them to be Pro + have at least 3 years to die of natural causes. Any better/cheap options?
win10 keys are the same price as win8 keys

Jovec

?
With the coming Win7 apocalypse in another 10 days what's the cheapest option to keep older Win7 Home towers still viable? These are recycled family rigs not used for any heavy lifting, so I was thinking of getting a couple cheap Win 8 Pro keys off ebay or something. At minimum I want them to be Pro + have at least 3 years to die of natural causes. Any better/cheap options?

I just ran the Windows Media Creation tool on an old Win7 Home Premium OEM version and it upgraded to 10 and activated with a digital license.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I switched to Chromium based Edge from Chrome. It seems to be just a tad bit faster. You can load extensions from the Chrome store, so I'm not missing out on any of those. I guess in the grand scheme of things there really isn't difference between the two since both are based off of Chromium.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Whats up with this dogshit October 2020 (2H20) update?

They completely did away with the Desktop screen? I can't find it anywhere. "Show desktop" button also gone from bottom right corner of taskbar. And the taskbar now has a pointless "Back" button

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Whats up with this dogshit October 2020 (2H20) update?

They completely did away with the Desktop screen? I can't find it anywhere. "Show desktop" button also gone from bottom right corner of taskbar. And the taskbar now has a pointless "Back" button

Sounds like you have tablet mode enabled.

• 1Like

onno

Trakanon Raider
Finally took the plunge and built a new PC with with windows 10 home edition. I've been using 7 forever and have no experience with this new shit.

If anyone could give advice or post links to ways I can clean up the OS (get rid of/disabling the tracking BS, lists of other things I can get rid of) or if there are any must have programs i'd greatly appreciate it.

Merry Christmas, bros!

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Finally took the plunge and built a new PC with with windows 10 home edition. I've been using 7 forever and have no experience with this new shit.

If anyone could give advice or post links to ways I can clean up the OS (get rid of/disabling the tracking BS, lists of other things I can get rid of) or if there are any must have programs i'd greatly appreciate it.

Merry Christmas, bros!
Be sure to turn off everything in the privacy settings. Much of the bloatware store apps can just be uninstalled.

There's a few apps that can handle much of it for you like o&oshutup O&O ShutUp10 -Free antispy tool for Windows 10

Don't go overboard with trying to nuke everything. Accept that the OS will be using you as the product, and nothing can change that completely. That said, it has come a long way since release when it comes to the obnoxious nonsense

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard

Merry Christmas, bros!
Start 10 has the Windows 7 style start menu. A must have IMO. I'm with Dom. All I use is O&O. Fiddling too much with the OS makes it psychotic.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

dizzie

Triggered Happy

Merry Christmas, bros!

Run this to disable nearly all the tracking bullshit, it also removes a bunch of useless crap unless you want it on your computer. If you're using windows defender you'll probably have to head into the ransomware section and disable the controlled access section (I did last time I ran this, otherwise it wouldn't run).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I'm very very late to this party. Oculus eventually forced my hand as they use some dodgy dns stuff that killed < 10 compat.

Anyway, I hate it, and have been fighting it nonstop since I installed it.

My main problem is that I use the active state of my OS as my "context". It's my memory. I wake up and look at my screens and everything comes back to me. This means that I cannot allow any bullshit restarting.

I do install updates, but I want to decide when to do it. I don't want them downloading in the background or even checking in the background. Beyond functionality it's the principle of the thing: This is my goddamn computer. An OS is built to serve me and do what the hell I say, not the other way around.

The goog on this topic is horribly polluted and filled with solutions that either don't work at all, or work till the next restart. It feels like there's been an ongoing war over time with people that want my way vs microsoft insisting that they own my machine and just allow me to use it now and then.

I'd settle for the "postpone" thing if I could specify a date a few thousand years in the future.

• 1Picard

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
So the above finally boiled over last week and I rage nuked the partition, bought a dodgy win7 key at some shady site, and went back to the golden era of windows 7.

It was very rough; alot of googling to kick windows update into shape, get nvidia drivers to install etc. I'd also forgotten some of the old UI strangeness. Scroll wheels only work on the focused area, so you can't mouse out of an active game and scroll a webpage for instance. Also there's no clicking things on an inactive window. It takes a click to activate and then another to hit the thingy.

Then alot of stuff just wouldn't work. VSCode had an older version but I figured I'd just build it myself. It uses Node though, and node has this warning that it might behave oddly on 7 and it did. Stuff would just hang randomly and not complete and leave junk files hanging about.

I remember in the past when a new OS came along and something claimed not to work, you could just hex edit the installer and take out the OS check and it would work just fine. But they fundamentally changed alot of crap down in kernel32 etc. So I gave it a college try but gave up when I discovered my 6 dollar key was bogus (SURPRISE!).

So I'm back on 10. I found a script called SledgeHammer that is supposed to completely kill windows update. It seems to work but we'll see how long it survives.

• 1Picard

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I'm quite fond of kubuntu and I've started looking into doing development there. There's a directx / vulkan layer of some sort and I could cross compile and run with wine for the basic bits of windows forms I use. For games it is really just window creation, but my tools have alot of extra forms.

Blender already works well in linux, and my job uses linux as well so maybe I will only need win10 for VR and 10-only games. So far the only 10 only game I've run across is farm simulator's latest. Which was crap anyway.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So I'm working from a clean install of Windows, everything is running zippy except for certain things on the web, specifically content embeds like on FOH, Twitter, etc. Did a bunch of troubleshooting only to realize it was the dumbest shit.

Turns out this setting still defaults to ON for no reason on clean installs of windows. Turn this shit OFF. This and mouse acceleration, which has been renamed to the Orwellian "enhance pointer precision" are the two dumbest settings that still default to ON in Windows.

#JUSTSTUPIDWINDOWSTHINGS

1669913500807.png

Legacy settings location:

1669913560471.png

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Changing DNS settings in 10 is a pain in the ass, too. You have to go back through the old pre-10 adapter settings menu despite there being an option to change it in the Settings menu, because if you change it through Settings, you also need to manually set the IP. Fucking dumb. At least that is fixed in 11.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Changing DNS settings in 10 is a pain in the ass, too. You have to go back through the old pre-10 adapter settings menu despite there being an option to change it in the Settings menu, because if you change it through Settings, you also need to manually set the IP. Fucking dumb. At least that is fixed in 11.
Just change it on your router.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Just change it on your router.

Anecdotally, I've found that routers usually suck at handling DNS (i.e. it adds a lot of additional latency) instead of setting it manually at the endpoint. Especially true if it's DoH or DoT - I don't even know if most router processors have AES-NI instructions built in.