Windows 11

dizzie

Triggered Happy
With APT attacks and malware in general becoming more prevalent due to everyone trying to steal each other's data/IP/money etc, you'd like to think that they'd concentrate on making a bare-bones version that's hardened against this stuff. Every time they add more useless features to Windows, it just adds to the surface area of attack. I'm using crypto a fair bit these days and there's no way I'd put a wallet onto a Windows system. It's seriously shitty that we live in an age where people feel they can stick ads in your' face and collect data about you to sell when you pay for a premium product.

I'd like to move to Linux right now, but it's a hassle for some games and the dickheads at work pretty much force me to use Windows. Although I do find myself using Ubuntu more and more cause it just works out the box.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
dqwnaqetv5671.jpg

• 3Like
  • 3Truth!
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 6 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Officially is windows 11 and will be free to users of 10

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
I thought they had a good showing. All of the emotional appeals were cringe as hell, but the presenters were all well-rehearsed and looked confident and enthusiastic, and it looks like they have a pretty cohesive strategy for how they plan on countering iOS/macOS (basically employing embrace (and perhaps extend/extinguish?) to Android and making it so that Android and Windows can interface seamlessly with one another like Apple's products can).

Going partially zero royalty on the Microsoft Store sounds good on paper, but I'm not a dev, so I can't really speak to how attractive it would be. I'm all for them attempting to screw Apple and Google good and hard, though.

Snap 2.0 looks good. I was worried about the start menu changes, but I understand why they did them now, and I don't think it'll be too bad of an adjustment, especially since you can still align the icons left if you want.

I would like to see a return to being able to manually update Windows rather than it auto-updating, and it looks like a privacy nightmare just like 10 is, but both of those are boats that sailed long ago.

Nadella is many things, but he is not stupid.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Also, looks like we're going back to the Windows 7 glass/Aero theme? Which I always liked so I'm cool with that.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
In addition to TPM 2.0, any Intel core cpu of 7th gen or older fails the system requirements. Hopefully that changes.

• 1WTF

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
In addition to TPM 2.0, any Intel core cpu of 7th gen or older fails the system requirements. Hopefully that changes.

aaaw, it seems that my 10 year old mobo with i5 is no good then

Also, looks like we're going back to the Windows 7 glass/Aero theme? Which I always liked so I'm cool with that.

I fucking hate the flat win10 look. It might be the main reason why I would upgrade to 11

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The newer releases of Windows 10 have frosted glass transparency again.

Windows 11 dark mode actually does look very good on most of the UI elements. The new taskbar is trash because you can't expand/ungroup apps to show the title bars anymore, and this is one of my few actual problems with Win 11.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Anything new besides aesthetics?

Running android APKs natively will be nice.

What the fuck is this guy booting off of? I'm on build 19043 and my boot time is 6.9 seconds.

The Fucking Article said:
For the purposes of this experiment I used Hyper-V as the hypervisor of choice, with 4GB of RAM, 4 cores and a 32GB fixed disk for each build.
Specs too vague to be useful.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Anything new besides aesthetics?
Android apps, from the Amazon App Store, running inside Windows Subsystem for Android containers running inside Windows Subsystem for Linux framework... but also somehow having native taskbars and window frames on your desktop.

Sounds kinda cool but also a huge security nightmare. Also the Amazon App Store is shit, almost as shit as the Windows Store.

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Android apps, from the Amazon App Store, running inside Windows Subsystem for Android containers running inside Windows Subsystem for Linux framework... but also somehow having native taskbars and window frames on your desktop.

Sounds kinda cool but also a huge security nightmare. Also the Amazon App Store is shit, almost as shit as the Windows Store.

You won't be limited to the Amazon app store, that's just the official way to get them. You'll be able to sideload them as well.

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So it looks like someone has put together a more informative tool than Microsoft's to see if you can run W11. rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11

The first preview for insiders has been released. I'll probably give it a try on my Surface Pro 7.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Auto-HDR works pretty well. Blacks look really crushed in Rocket League, but playing WoW the horizons and lighting are really nice.

No issues at all at this point, other than it taking a bit to get my Odyssey G9 to be recognized - but that's hardly unique to Windows 11.

• 1Worf

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Is this the one where they start charging a subscription for it? All-in-one special: you get a browser, office, and OS all for just 199.99 a year!

That was supposed to be Windows 10. It was supposed to be an OS as a service. Remember the whole shit about solitare?