Windows 11

Argarth

On the verandah
The only real sticking point for me will be the compulsory "bottom of screen" location for the taskbar.

1625026533063.png

I'm on 3840x1600 UW, and really like having use of all 1600 pixels in the vertical, with the taskbar on the left. No way I'm giving that up, and besides, with Start10, the desktop and menus look and work so much better with this layout. Until Stardock figure out a way to make it work on Windows 11, I can't imagine using it as my daily driver.

Screenshot 2021-06-30 134801.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So far the main thing that annoys me is only having icons on the taskbar instead of the names of windows as well as no option to use small icons. The taskbar is too damn tall.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've been using it a few days. The only annoying thing for me so far is that they removed the win-x hotkeys.

With the current restrictions, I don't see windows 11 getting wide adoption by the eol for windows 10. Make something that will run on a potato.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So far the main thing that annoys me is only having icons on the taskbar instead of the names of windows
Yeah this is a huge fucking problem for me. People need to make more noise about this.

That said, I think the rest of the UI looks incredible with the dark mode theme applied.

"People" is going away because it was useless, and it's being replaced by Teams, which hopefully means the home version of Teams will start being a viable competitor to apps like Discord.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Wait, they are axing the hotkeys that have been in there since pre Windows for Workgroups era? That is a deal breaker for me.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Wait, they are axing the hotkeys that have been in there since pre Windows for Workgroups era? That is a deal breaker for me.
Most of the regular hotkeys still work like win-L, win-l, but start menu win-x-(u-i sign out, u-r restart etc) don't work.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah this is a huge fucking problem for me. People need to make more noise about this.

That said, I think the rest of the UI looks incredible with the dark mode theme applied.

"People" is going away because it was useless, and it's being replaced by Teams, which hopefully means the home version of Teams will start being a viable competitor to apps like Discord.
We started using Teams at work recently and its pretty fucking nice. Easy to navigate which Discord is a fucking mess.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
We started using Teams at work recently and its pretty fucking nice. Easy to navigate which Discord is a fucking mess.
Outlook integration, sharepoint integration, it actually gets better the more you use it. If you're willing to pay for the licenses it can also just replace your corporate phone system as long as you don't have a large call center that needs all the adjunct call center products.

Argarth

On the verandah
So far the main thing that annoys me is only having icons on the taskbar instead of the names of windows as well as no option to use small icons. The taskbar is too damn tall.

Never used window labels on the taskbar, each to their own. But no small icons? That's an automatic fail. I don't even own a tablet/touch-screen PC. Idiots.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I have a lot of TPM 2 modules for sale. $2500 per unit. PM me for deets.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Never used window labels on the taskbar, each to their own. But no small icons? That's an automatic fail. I don't even own a tablet/touch-screen PC. Idiots.

I want to be able to glance at the taskbar and be able to instantly see how many windows I have open and what they are. I can have 5 windows open and look at the taskbar and just see a single icon on it right now.

Argarth

On the verandah
I want to be able to glance at the taskbar and be able to instantly see how many windows I have open and what they are. I can have 5 windows open and look at the taskbar and just see a single icon on it right now.
Oh yeah, fully get that.
Shouldn't have said "never" used. I tried it of course, but never really liked how much room they took up, truncated names with multiple applications/docs open at the same time etc. Since I changed to taskbar on the left with UW, ages ago now, labels are basically useless to me. That's why I said "each to their own".

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
How long after release will someone have something to make it look like 7 or 10? Few days/weeks at most.

Argarth

On the verandah
Was going to wait until my next big upgrade to try out WIndows 11, even though I dual boot Retail/Insider Dev and have done for ages, mainly because my PC fails several of the compatibility tests, and I couldn't be bothered stuffing around with it. (still on MBR, no UEFI/Secure Boot, no TPM, < 64GB partition)

Then I found this WinPass11.GuidedInstaller in this thread Windows 11 to Ship Without TPM Requirement for 'Special Purpose' Systems
and it sailed straight through. Very nice if you're in the same boat as me.

• 1Like

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Windows Vista was not as bad as the rep it got. Hardware wasn't ready for it.

Windows 11 looks like they want to be MacOs like in UI.

Sounds like spec wise they're creating another Vista, which was terrible.

Consumer goes to the store to buy a a computer, they've always used Windows, so they buy a Windows machine.

Windows 11 is forced on them, and their computer runs like a dog, because the manufacture didn't meet OS Specs.

The consumer blames the OS, and they should, because there's no excuse to require those specs.

There hasn't been anything substantial in terms of the OS, itself demanding huge resources, since the advent of visualizing the File System.

Until they start hooking people up to BCIs, which is probably a step backward for the human race, at least in the short term, there's not going to be anything that makes the OS worthy of having such demands.

The OS pushes hardware, but the OS isn't worthy of the Hardware it pushes, and to a consumer, that doesn't really care about the advancement that comes of these leaps in hardware, they will correctly blame the OS.

You know what I like about Windows 10? Dark Theme. I'd like High Contrast mode even better, if it was supported by other apps / didn't interfere with dark theme, where it wasn't supported.

That's the biggest OS advancement that's come along recently, being able to make all of my Applications dark themed.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Terial

Trakanon Raider
really good overview of Windows 11, the good and the not so good

• 1Like