Windows 11

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I love most of the Win11 comments here - "Win 11 is great if you remove a bunch of bullshit!" - Man, really selling me on it!

All the Win11 stuff sounds almost EXACTLY like the Win 7-8 years. Windows 7 was fantastic, 8 comes out and is a pile of shit, but you had plenty of people telling you, "OMG, Windows 8 is great if you just remove X, Y, Z and make it more like Win 7!!"
I never really got the Windows 8 hate. Windows 8.1 was probably the best performing modern OS.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I never really got the Windows 8 hate. Windows 8.1 was probably the best performing modern OS.
Yeah, after they fixed all the bullshit UI stuff and it became more like Win 7?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, after they fixed all the bullshit UI stuff and it became more like Win 7?
No 8.1 still had the full-screen or near-full-screen tile menu bullshit loooool.

But it ran incredibly well and booted absurdly fast.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I run W11 on my surface and it's mostly fine, just small annoyances. On my desktop I'm still running W10.

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Wifes laptop updated to 11 and I like it. I'm a minimalist at heart and its clean as fuck.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I’d still be running it if they allowed my 7700k. It was easy to upgrade from 10 to 11 but my struggles with a fresh install have me staying at 10 for now. I know there’s ways around it but these days I’d rather spend less time tinkering, especially if there isn’t a specific feature or benefit I’m requiring.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I've got Win 10 and Win 11 running on two different drives.

So far the big draw of Windows 11 is that Windows doesn't look like dogshit with HDR turned on.

It's also pretty fast.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
lol spent all day setting Win11 up on the new drive that I bought from Amazon. Packaging was a little squished but the drive looked fine.

This morning, boot computer up, BIOS can't even read the drive ID or the size properly, disk shows wrong size in diskpart, partitions are unreadable...

Good thing I still have the Win10 install.

Kiki

Log Wizard
No 8.1 still had the full-screen or near-full-screen tile menu bullshit loooool.

But it ran incredibly well and booted absurdly fast.

I'm still using it, about to upgrade. Just install start menu classic, and voila, the best OS. I did update my gaming machine to 10 finally for some game I don't even remember.

whoo

<Silver Donator>
Ads in windows explorer for windows 11?

Per the interwebs: Open File Explorer; press Win + E or click its icon in the taskbar or Start menu. Click on the See more button with 3 dots in the toolbar, and select Options. Switch to the View tab in the Folder Options dialog. Remove the check mark from the Show sync provider notifications option to disable ads in File Explorer.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Anyone else having weird network related issues in Windows 11? What seems to be happening is TCP socket connections initially fail sometimes, so you'll experience programs failing to connect, then retry, then are fine. I reloaded back to 10 and the problem went away. Reloaded 11 again and problem resumed. So, it's definitely something going in 11.

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
I moved to WIn 11 this weekend. Seems fine so far. I've made some minor adjustments to make it more like Win 10, so far as the task bar goes, aside from that, any other tweaks that are worth doing?

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Anyone else having weird network related issues in Windows 11? What seems to be happening is TCP socket connections initially fail sometimes, so you'll experience programs failing to connect, then retry, then are fine. I reloaded back to 10 and the problem went away. Reloaded 11 again and problem resumed. So, it's definitely something going in 11.
I've seen this happen, yes. Also, save windows will take nearly 60 seconds to pop up if they're referencing a folder location that is on a detached network drive. Win 11 could use a little more polish when it comes to opening connections. Otherwise, no complaints beyond losing the vertical taskbar. (I know there are 3rd party solutions.)