Windows 8

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
i) I've had Windows 8 for 3 days. I had mentally prepared for the worst. I am known to get frustrated, so I mentally prepared for that too.
I'm taking it slow with Windows 8 - because I hate it. But I feel there must be some good to it, so I'll filter out the bad and try not to focus too much on such until I find, understand, and appreciate the good.

1) I stopped liking the Start Button format years ago. Things got too nested and lost. I like what Win8 is doing - kind of.
I still want there to be a button. Having a little window popup can be nice, but I prefer the button. The menu that slides in from the right hand side doesn't even work half the time and gets in the way of scrolling when I don't need it to show.

2) The colored boxes within the new start take too damn long to load. And once they are loaded, it isn't entirely clear what they are supposed to do. Dragging from top to bottom to close them in unacceptable - worse than Mac buttons being on the lefthand side. I want them to be in their own windows, things I can resize and minimize and close and adjust how I see fit. Want to have a fullscreen mode for the colored boxes? Sure, but don't make it the only option.

3) Windows 8 seems to be affecting my internet connection. We have half a dozen household devices that use the internet, both wired and wireless. Two devices, one wired, one wireless, have connection problems and none others do. These 2 have Win8. Wired connection loses every 40-200 seconds and is out for less than 1 second. The delay is like jboots vs tboots - there is a difference and that delay kills. The wireless device forces the user to completely reenter network passwords and etc.

4) Can the 'app store' green box be any less user friendly? Where is the search? Why is it stretched out across multiple screens and not just condensed to one with maybe a menu on the left for things that are hidden.

5) Speaking of content stretched over several screens, which I figure is this "ribbon" you guys are talking about, I can understand one section of content shown one at a time. It's inefficient, but I understand it. What I'm getting is two sections with voids between them and a half of a third section I have to scroll to see. With the "Travel" box, for example, there is a massive picture with some descriptions on the right, but every one of them is cut off so you cannot actually utilize them without scrolling.

6) f' scrolling.

Edit: I've been crawling through the pages in this thread to see what others are doing: @Jeydax - Those 'easy' to install programs that fix all the problems are only good if they are known about. Before reading this thread, I hadn't heard of any of the apps mentioned in this thread. 'Simply Googling apps to install to fix programs' is an anxiety inducing process because you'll never know what you're going to get. The program might be trial only, or have hidden fees. It might be a trojan or virus. A scam? Googling reviews for random apps is just as bad, pages of noise that don't really say anything or perhaps provide misinformation. It's a tiring process that takes much longer than 15 seconds.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Stop using 'metro' apps and most of your issues would go away. Use your desktop like a desktop, you don't need the tablet full screen apps.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
This is for 7 and mentions OS X but may be the same, give it a whirl:

Network password/credentials not remembered - Windows 7 Help Forums

I haven't had any issues at work with the network locations that originally required me to log in from my 8.1 computer at work. Let me know if this works.
Forgot to get back to you on this, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. I still have to type in the username and password for my mapped network drive every time I restart my computer. So frustrating.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
Forgot to get back to you on this, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. I still have to type in the username and password for my mapped network drive every time I restart my computer. So frustrating.
Do you have more than one mapped drive that uses the same credentials?

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Edit: I've been crawling through the pages in this thread to see what others are doing: @Jeydax - Those 'easy' to install programs that fix all the problems are only good if they are known about. Before reading this thread, I hadn't heard of any of the apps mentioned in this thread. 'Simply Googling apps to install to fix programs' is an anxiety inducing process because you'll never know what you're going to get. The program might be trial only, or have hidden fees. It might be a trojan or virus. A scam? Googling reviews for random apps is just as bad, pages of noise that don't really say anything or perhaps provide misinformation. It's a tiring process that takes much longer than 15 seconds.
I agree with you 100% that they are only good if known about - which is why instead of just bitching about metro I am spreading the solution for people who don't know. I disagree with the rest of what you said, though. I never recommended you (or other technologicslly impaired people) go around googling for programs to install for the reasons you listed. But if you go back a few posts I listed VERY simple instructions on how to install Classic Start to rid yourself of metro. There are further options after the initial install to get even more of it removed too but not necessarily needed.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I'll see if I can't figure this out later, just on my phone at the moment.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Do you have more than one mapped drive that uses the same credentials?
No, just one mapped drive period right now. On my old computer (Windows 7) I had several different ones that worked fine from day one, but with this one I've only got one, and it won't remember no matter what I do.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Puget Systems Offers Free Service on New PCs to Make Windows 8 Look and Feel Like Windows 7 | Maximum PC

For when you want Windows 8, but not really
Here we are more than a year after the release of Windows 8 and it still remains a hot topic. The points of consternation among its critics are that Microsoft overhauled the user interface with a focus on touch computing, and then added insult to injury by removing the Start button and Start menu (the Start button has since returned, but without the handy menu). Nevertheless, it's a faster and more secure operating system than Windows 7. What's a user to do? Well, if you're buying a rig from boutique builder Puget Systems, you can have the company give Windows 8 a makeover so that it essentially feels like Windows 7.

The new service is called "Windows 8 Makeover: Emulate Windows 7" and it's a free as a courtesy install on new system orders. It includes a handful of tweaks that you can apply yourself, but for less savvy users, this is a neat option that starts with installing Classic Shell, a utility that brings back the Start menu and prompts the system to boot directly into the desktop.

Beyond the installation of Classic Shell, Puget Systems will configure desktop programs to be the default over Windows 8 apps where possible (Windows Photo Viewer, Windows Media Player, etc.). And finally, the Charms bar is disabled, as Puget Systems says it's an unnecessary feature with the added functionality of the Classi Shell Start menu.

Is a service like this even necessary? Puget Systems says the adoption of Windows 8 from its customers is "very weak" and even slower than it was with Vista. At the same time, the boutique builder recognizes there are some distinct advantages to running Windows 8, one of them being a longer support windows from Microsoft.

You can read more of the company's reasoning in ablog postby its founder, Jon Bach.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
qzI9fyX.jpg

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
My credentials were already stored in the vault (which is actually called Credential Manager in the Control Panel, a search for Vault came up empty for me) when I went there, so I confirmed they were correct, rebooted...and it still does the same thing. I'm stumped. I've googled everything I can think of and nothing seems to work. I even confirmed that my HTPC has the same login credentials. Now, that one still has the issue of being unable to connect at startup, but double-clicking on the drive itself brings it up without having to enter the credentials. I've read that that problem is typically that it is trying to map the drive before the drivers for the network share are even loaded, so I can at least understand why that is happening. But not remembering my credentials on this PC, and making me enter them every time when they are exactly the same, is confusing me.

EDIT: Well fuck, now I got it to work. I had tried this immediately before posting, and it didn't work, but I did it through the Vault and not the standard popup I always get. I'll spell it out in detail for those that might be trying to follow along, even though I'm sure this is old hat for most of you.

Originally I would just login with my username and password, let's say Vvoid and 1234. It would always say "Domain: NEWCOMPUTER" at the bottom, and in the vault it said my username was "NEWCOMPUTER\Vvoid". Now, I know enough about domains to understand why it says that, and why it listed it at the bottom of the popup window, but since it connected I figured that must be good enough, since my NAS simply has the credentials Vvoid and 1234. And since I don't have a domain like I do at work and credentials are much more specific, and this is clearly just the computer name, I assumed it was no big deal.

To confirm, I checked my HTPC (which works, but just not until you click on it after startup), and the credentials there were "HTPC\Vvoid". I also confirmed on my old (Windows 7) machine that they were "OLD7MACHINE\Vvoid" which worked flawlessly every time. So I figured the domain didn't matter. However, I figured what the hell, I'll change it to "DISKSTATION\Vvoid" because that's the name of my Synology NAS.

Rebooted, and still didn't work. Gave me the popup, but I went ahead and used "DISKSTATION\Vvoid" there as well, told it to remember (like I always do), and rebooted. Now it fucking works. Went to my HTPC, changed it to the same thing in the vault, and it worked the first time after reboot there.

No fucking clue why it worked the first time on my HTPC, but the second on my new computer, or why it suddenly needed that domain/computer name to be accurate when it didn't before (Windows 7, and halfway on 8 with my HTPC), but that seems to have resolved it. At least for now. We'll see if it sticks.

Thanks for everyone's attempts to help me, I really appreciate it.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
But that didn't fix the mapping before network drivers are available, did it? Because that annoys the hell out of me.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
You can force the system to load the network stack before you can log in. I forget the policy you have to change, but I can go look for it if you need it.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It isn't a big deal. It is like the 1 time a month I reboot my computer that isn't generally related to anything network specific so I forgot to go reconnect and have to the next day or so.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
But that didn't fix the mapping before network drivers are available, did it? Because that annoys the hell out of me.
Yes, it actually did. That was my problem on my HTPC, the mapping before drivers. It always remembered my credentials correctly there, it just wouldn't re-establish the connection after booting and I'd have to manually go to the network drive and open it for it to connect.

Now all of that seems to be gone, it just works every time I boot. Well, the 5 or so times I booted them both last night anyway.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
My credentials were already stored in the vault (which is actually called Credential Manager in the Control Panel, a search for Vault came up empty for me) when I went there, so I confirmed they were correct, rebooted...and it still does the same thing. I'm stumped. I've googled everything I can think of and nothing seems to work. I even confirmed that my HTPC has the same login credentials. Now, that one still has the issue of being unable to connect at startup, but double-clicking on the drive itself brings it up without having to enter the credentials. I've read that that problem is typically that it is trying to map the drive before the drivers for the network share are even loaded, so I can at least understand why that is happening. But not remembering my credentials on this PC, and making me enter them every time when they are exactly the same, is confusing me.

EDIT: Well fuck, now I got it to work. I had tried this immediately before posting, and it didn't work, but I did it through the Vault and not the standard popup I always get. I'll spell it out in detail for those that might be trying to follow along, even though I'm sure this is old hat for most of you.

Originally I would just login with my username and password, let's say Vvoid and 1234. It would always say "Domain: NEWCOMPUTER" at the bottom, and in the vault it said my username was "NEWCOMPUTER\Vvoid". Now, I know enough about domains to understand why it says that, and why it listed it at the bottom of the popup window, but since it connected I figured that must be good enough, since my NAS simply has the credentials Vvoid and 1234. And since I don't have a domain like I do at work and credentials are much more specific, and this is clearly just the computer name, I assumed it was no big deal.

To confirm, I checked my HTPC (which works, but just not until you click on it after startup), and the credentials there were "HTPC\Vvoid". I also confirmed on my old (Windows 7) machine that they were "OLD7MACHINE\Vvoid" which worked flawlessly every time. So I figured the domain didn't matter. However, I figured what the hell, I'll change it to "DISKSTATION\Vvoid" because that's the name of my Synology NAS.

Rebooted, and still didn't work. Gave me the popup, but I went ahead and used "DISKSTATION\Vvoid" there as well, told it to remember (like I always do), and rebooted. Now it fucking works. Went to my HTPC, changed it to the same thing in the vault, and it worked the first time after reboot there.

No fucking clue why it worked the first time on my HTPC, but the second on my new computer, or why it suddenly needed that domain/computer name to be accurate when it didn't before (Windows 7, and halfway on 8 with my HTPC), but that seems to have resolved it. At least for now. We'll see if it sticks.

Thanks for everyone's attempts to help me, I really appreciate it.
I was just going to post that you should check and make sure everything is on the same workgroup or domain. Glad it worked out.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
It isn't a big deal. It is like the 1 time a month I reboot my computer that isn't generally related to anything network specific so I forgot to go reconnect and have to the next day or so.
Found it anyway:

Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Logon
Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon