Windows 8

spronk

FPS noob
if you run a SSD + regular drive the latest win8.1 update seems to fail to install, something about profile data being moved to the regular drive from the SSD for most installs. Its KB2919355 a ~700 meg or so download

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Huh? There is a setting to change it to be EXACTLY like 7. I'll take a look later but if you dig in the settings its there.
Right click the start button and click on "Settings".
Click the "Start Menu Style" tab.
Selection "Windows 7 style" button.
Click OK.
Done.

Or you can change it to whatever style you like there. You can customize the shit out of it. Also I'd suggest clicking on the "Windows 8.1 Settings" tab while you're in there and make sure "Skip Metro screen" is checked and disable all of the active corners for good measure.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
if you run a SSD + regular drive the latest win8.1 update seems to fail to install, something about profile data being moved to the regular drive from the SSD for most installs. Its KB2919355 a ~700 meg or so download
I think you might be referring to the practice of using junction points to fool Windows into storing your profile on a drive other than C:. Pretty standard practice for a power user in the age of SSD's but this also prevented upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 as well (which I found out the hard way). You either have to undo the junction points and move your profile back to C, then re-run the upgrade/update, or do a full re-install :/

That being said, the linked update (8.1 update 1) will be a pre-requisite for all future updates, so if it bombs because of junction points ignoring it won't be an option.

spronk

FPS noob
I use junction points for games but afaik not for my profile stuff, don't really have anything there i give a shit about and my SSD is just as reliable as my 2TB drives

dunno what was causing the fuckups but following this fixed my issues, in case you are having the same issues installing that 800mb 8.1 patch
Microsoft News | Microsoft Offers Hotfixes Workarounds For Windows 8.1 Update Installation Issues

the only thing it seems to add is a new store button to your taskbar, i'm sure there is shit under the hood

Izo

Tranny Chaser
The fuck. Why would you upgrade windows installations? Always do a clean install for performance, drivers, compatibility and shit. Moving your profile is the easiest thing in the world.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
It isn't an update like you are thinking, unless I'm just confused as to what you are saying. He isn't upgrading from 7 to 8.1 or whatever. This is sort of like a Service Pack. You didn't wipe everything and then do a clean install for every Service Pack, did you? If you did, you're definitely more dedicated than I am.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
The fuck. Why would you upgrade windows installations? Always do a clean install for performance, drivers, compatibility and shit. Moving your profile is the easiest thing in the world.
This.

Also I have my profile moved off the SSD, had no issues with the update. Ya'll need more megahertz.

Sulrn

Deuces
rrr_img_65428.jpg

Maybe it's a flash memory issue.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
The document also mentions another unreleased Windows product in its alpha stage known as Windows 365, which could be a reference to Microsoft's rumored subscription version of its operating system.

At the end of April,Ars Technica heard from a tipsterthat Windows 9 would include some sort of subscription-based system, although it's unclear exactly how that would play out.

One potential scenario is that the core operating system would be free, while users would have to pay for additional features.
Yeah........ good news for Linux.

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
Not sure if it has to do anything with Windows 8, but I'm still getting crazy temp readings on my CPU. Pretty much every monitor I have used gets the same result, around 100C idling which would be too hot. I'm thinking it might be because the AMD A10 CPU has a built in GPU and it's reading both as one. I can see a separate reading for the integrated GPU, but nothing that will read the dedicated one.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Which program are you using to monitor it? Have you tried others? Core Temp? Real Temp?

jeydax

Death and Taxes
That is strange. A thread on TomsHardware had people showing the same issue of temps all over the place/wrong. TryHWMonitor, and post a pic of your TMPIN0/TMPIN1/ETC temperatures. Those should be right. If not, could be something going wonky?...