Windows 8

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I don't think you know what that word means, Z
biggrin.png

Anywho, it's bloated, it's annoyingly big, it autostarts. It's different on annoying key points. MS know this and will fix it for the rest of us. Enjoy
biggrin.png

biggrin.png

biggrin.png

Pinch_sl

shitlord
I don't mind windows 8 too much, but having to enter the full screen start menu just to open anything that's not pinned to the taskbar is fairly annoying. When I have three spreadsheets open and I'm really focused the last thing I want is to be thrust into the tilt interface and lose sight of what I'm working on. Previously, the start menu was nice and unobtrusive, and I could open up programs using my peripheral vision while I was still viewing whatever windows I had open. That isn't an option in windows 8. Like I said, it is a minor nitpick, but it provides zero benefit unless I'm using a touch interface and it is certainly less convenient than it was before. And that's without even mentioning the lack of folders in the start menu - the grouping system they replaced it with is way worse and slower to navigate even after using it for months.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
how does office run differently on windows 7 than it does on 8
You're losing focus - start button / metro was the subject of everyone's complaint.
I'm using office 2013 which is different from 2010. Ditched 2010 when I upgraded, so no idea if 2010 runs differently on Windows 8 vs 7. I'm guessing no to minor difference? If I need to use the start menu though, metro steals focus. Super annoying.

I don't mind windows 8 too much, but having to enter the full screen start menu just to open anything that's not pinned to the taskbar is fairly annoying. When I have three spreadsheets open and I'm really focused the last thing I want is to be thrust into the tilt interface and lose sight of what I'm working on. Previously, the start menu was nice and unobtrusive, and I could open up programs using my peripheral vision while I was still viewing whatever windows I had open. That isn't an option in windows 8. Like I said, it is a minor nitpick, but it provides zero benefit unless I'm using a touch interface and it is certainly less convenient than it was before. And that's without even mentioning the lack of folders in the start menu - the grouping system they replaced it with is way worse and slower to navigate even after using it for months.
^This
smile.png

smile.png

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
You're losing focus - start button / metro was the subject of everyone's complaint.
Just so we are clear, the reason windows 8 sucks is because it's missing the start button and while your working in a desktop application using the start screen makes you lose focus on that application? Other than the visuals, it's the same system, you could never multitask - the start menu has always "stole focus" it just hasn't been full screen.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
Meh, I like the 8 Start Screen much better.

It is basically a giant version of "Pin" part of the old one, which is really the only part I ever use anyway (still have 7 at work). I don't use any other part of it except the type to search. Anything I use with any frequency gets pinned to the taskbar or put on the desktop in either OS anyway.

Also, I like the live tiles and HUD pop-ups.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Just so we are clear, the reason windows 8 sucks is because it's missing the start button and while your working in a desktop application using the start screen makes you lose focus on that application? Other than the visuals, it's the same system, you could never multitask - the start menu has always "stole focus" it just hasn't been full screen.
Comon, you can't be that dense. Windows 8 doesn't suck as a whole. The redesign of the start button experience does. Especially to those whom work, emphasis on work, with desktop applications. A full screen start menu is annoying and totally unnecesary for the vast majority of actions in relation to this. You don't cover up a your book if you want to look in a dictionary, see the related graphics or pick up a pencil etc. - this is what full screen start menu does to power users. This is stealing focus. It's a pain on the ass and a step backwards. Drag and drop to the desktop or other desktop apps is also not possible and / or counterintuitive. That's not even touching on multi monitors. Try hitting the mouse areas with multiple monitors or even using a metro app and multitask to the other monitors.
TLDR; Metro is for simpletons and touch screens, not serious power users or business oriented work. Those are my 2 cents anyway. Thankfully MS will fix most of this with 8.1.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
Actually the start menu is way better with multi monitor because you can devote a monitor to it.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm puzzled why any power user who has major complaints with Windows 8 believes that the 8.1 release will fix anything. Adding a start button will help users with a low level computer literacy but nothing Microsoft has spoken about thus far addresses the core problem that the paradigm was designed for non-PC devices.

Windows 8 is still installed on my personal laptop and I still dislike it as much today as I did 8-months ago, the only reason it hasn't been removed is that I primarily use other machines.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Just loaded up vs2012 for the first time. UI looks like something from a first year CS course with the flat colors and MENUS IN ALL CAPS LOL. I really hate the Windows 8 theme and find it pretty telling that the first thing Google auto-complete suggests when I type in "vs2012" is themes.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
As I've said before, just use Start 8 from Stardock. You get the Win7 start button and menus back and it'll boot straight to desktop. You never have to see the tile screen again.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I'm puzzled why any power user who has major complaints with Windows 8 believes that the 8.1 release will fix anything. Adding a start button will help users with a low level computer literacy but nothing Microsoft has spoken about thus far addresses the core problem that the paradigm was designed for non-PC devices.

Windows 8 is still installed on my personal laptop and I still dislike it as much today as I did 8-months ago, the only reason it hasn't been removed is that I primarily use other machines.
What are these "power user" features you are missing from Windows 8 that you had on Windows 7?

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I brought my mother in law out for a new laptop yesterday. Uses her current old machine (xp) for gmail, skype, facebook and messenger. Mostly to communicate with relatives. Pretty much the target market.

Her reaction to Windows 8 (which was similar to the 2 other couples browsing laptops and tablets)

WTH is with all the boxes (metro)?

I don't like all these extra steps and new menus. Why is everything listed like that? Its so different, I really don't like how it looks. It all blends in together.

Why is that hidden like that?

Ok so I click the E for internet?

Where are my bookmarks?

They have to go with all the boxes? That is stupid why would I want to clutter that up more than it already is? The old one made more sense and worked better.

So there are two computers then? This desktop thing that they stripped down and the boxes? Who the hell thought that was a good idea it to add all this half baked new stuff with less features and more confusion while removing the stuff that worked well like the old version. I don't like this.

Where is the Start button? So I have to go back to the boxes to do x? Forget this.

What is that over there?

Me: Some android tablets

Oh wow so easy to use and look how neat that looks I can have the weather on my screen. Push that for skype, push that for face book, push that to go back. Wow this is so easy.

Can I get a keyboard? Ok thanks you for bringing me I think the tablet will work better, can you grab that for me and lets go check out.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
What are these "power user" features you are missing from Windows 8 that you had on Windows 7?
Re-arrange windows as I choose (not merely horizontal split), taskbar for applications, menu that doesn't needlessly consume an entire screen, combined search results regardless of category, and importantly the ability to install softwarefrom wherever the fuck I feel like it.

Going back to the regular user front: the OS treating metro and desktop applications as different things, hidden controls, and general UX problems.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
8.1 is going to give you combined search results, you can already install any application you want from any fucking source you want, you can place windows anywhere on the desktop and it also has a taskbar. How crazy!

You're right, Windows is a real piece of shit, giving you everything that you just asked for.