Windows 8

It's baaack...

rrr_img_63946.jpg

Microsoft is bringing the Start Menu back | The Verge
Surprise: The Windows Start Menu Is Back | Gizmodo India(forgive the gizmodo link)

Denaut

Trump's Staff
As long as its an option and I can keep the current start menu I think giving people the option is fine. If there is no option to turn it off (like the start button in 8.1) I am going to be very annoyed.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I thought that EVGA's Precision X worked on cards other than EVGA. Or maybe it was the other way around with MSI Afterburner working on non MSI stuff... Either way, Precision X works fine for me on 8.1. GPU-Z works fine as well from what I've been able to tell.

MSI Afterburner is kind of the gold standard for GPU tweaking and monitoring. It should support any modern AMD and Nvidia card. Besides comprehensive overclocking, it also includes Rivatuner which gives you a ton of monitoring options, on screen or logging. Precision X is a good utility too, but it won't work with AMD cards, only Nvidia.

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
I'm mostly looking to check my temps. I tried GPU-Z and I'm getting GPU readings of around 100C which doesn't make any sense because I'm not gaming. I can't find the temp readings using MSI Afterburner. It just displays usage, fan speed and tachometer. I'm running an AMD card on a laptop, by the way.

I'm mostly looking to check my temps. I tried GPU-Z and I'm getting GPU readings of around 100C which doesn't make any sense because I'm not gaming. I can't find the temp readings using MSI Afterburner. It just displays usage, fan speed and tachometer. I'm running an AMD card on a laptop, by the way.
Check in Settings under the Monitoring tab. Make sure you also installed the Rivatuner software that comes with it.

Under "Active hardware monitoring graphs" you'll see all of the metrics you can monitor including "GPU Temperature". You may need to highlight it and select "Show in On-Screen Display" if that's what you're looking for, or there is an option to log to a file.

This all assumes that AMD is allowing the GPU temp to be read. I know AMD cards run hot but 100c is too high. I remember there being a bug with AMD GPU temps but I thought that was long resolved.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
So I decided to switch from w7 to w8.1. First of all, why the fuck did they remove the NFS client ? Second, the new backup system (file history) will not recognize my old incremental backups made by Backup&Restore from Windows 7. Anyone knows a software that will allow me to browse those backups and extract the shit I need ?

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
1. Yes, NFS has been deprecated in Windows since Windows 8/Server 2012, but it was on its way out in Windows 7/Server 2008 R2. Try setting up an NFS server on 2008 R2 with unix-style credentials. It's a ball of fun because they clearly want it to go away in favour of CIFS, and they're not hiding that.

2. There is a control panel called "Windows 7 File Recovery" that will use your backups from Windows 7. Comes with Windows 8.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
1. Yes, NFS has been deprecated in Windows since Windows 8/Server 2012, but it was on its way out in Windows 7/Server 2008 R2. Try setting up an NFS server on 2008 R2 with unix-style credentials. It's a ball of fun because they clearly want it to go away in favour of CIFS, and they're not hiding that.

2. There is a control panel called "Windows 7 File Recovery" that will use your backups from Windows 7.Comes with Windows 8.
It's gone in Widows 8.1. What do you suggest then?

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
Can someone recommend a good ad blocker for Firefox? I just got a new laptop and have been getting mad popups on this site and pretty much everywhere else.

Check in Settings under the Monitoring tab. Make sure you also installed the Rivatuner software that comes with it.

Under "Active hardware monitoring graphs" you'll see all of the metrics you can monitor including "GPU Temperature". You may need to highlight it and select "Show in On-Screen Display" if that's what you're looking for, or there is an option to log to a file.
I've been looking under the active hardware monitoring graphs tab and still don't see the GPU temperature graph. Just usage, fan speed, tachometer, and framerate which doesn't work.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
After another half an hour of looking and googling I find out that is gone as well. Had to map that shit to my laptop so I can recover my files. Fucking piece of shit.

Anyone has a recommendation for a decent backup software (has to support incremental backups and network saving).

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Wow. What a bunch of bastards. I hadn't used this in forever so I didn't realize it was written out in 8.1.

I useSyncrifyfor backups. Does all manner of Linux/Unix and Windows, but you can only set up one client for free, per server install. Additional clients need to be licensed, or you can install another server on some other port.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
Installed the update to 8.1. You can now pin metro apps to the taskbar. There are also minimize/close buttons on metro apps. They're hidden, tho, so you must move your mouse to the top of the screen to get them to show.