Windows 8

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Yeah........ good news for Linux.
Linux will NEVER, EVER take off at the desktop until all the Angry at World "everybody sux because they don't know Linux rulez" fanbois stop bickering amongst themselves over what the best Linux flavor is, and actually develop some sort of standardized product that comes in a box and everyone can stand behind (and I'm not talking about Red Hat). Linux snobs shit on Windows, but they also happily shit over every Linux release that isn't their favorite. To a lesser extent it's the same for servers.. I can install a Windows 2008 R2 server and every one runs the same at its core, and every proficient Windows admin can operate it. That fucking Debian box in the corner that no longer has an admin because he just quit? Well, the new Linux admin you just hired (usually angry and dressed in black) wants to rebuild the whole thing because he likes Ubuntu... Want to patch a Windows server? Run Windows update or use WSUS-- nothing to really document and any admin can take over in a flash. Patches for your Linux server? well sky's the limit in terms of possibilities constrained only by your admins imagination. The TCO on Linux servers is horribad..

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Wow

to expand on my earlier wow, I take you just want another Windows / MacOS but named Linux. You'd remove everything that makes it great (choices) and let some fucktard make those choices for you (use this, install that, suck on this).

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Wow

to expand on my earlier wow, I take you just want another Windows / MacOS but named Linux. You'd remove everything that makes it great (choices) and let some fucktard make those choices for you (use this, install that, suck on this).
Nope, not saying that at all. Linux can stay the way it is and I'd be 100% ok with that. All I'm pointing out is that every Linux "fan" decries the fact that Linux isn't the dominant OS (despite being the "best", of course), and they all seem to scratch their head as to why, lamenting the stupidity of the general computer user for not throwing off the chains of Windows and embracing Linux. Unfortunately, they mostly refuse to reconcile the fact that "more choices" and "average computer user" are totally incongruent. Hence, yes, Linux will only ever take off unless they build some sort of UNITED version that comes in a box and works on rails like Windows/MacOS. Also, those same "choices" is what blows the TCO through the roof in your average corporate environment. That doesn't make Linux "bad", it's actually quite good. It just makes it niche, which is exactly where Linux started and still is to an extent.

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
That is strange. A thread on TomsHardware had people showing the same issue of temps all over the place/wrong. TryHWMonitor, and post a pic of your TMPIN0/TMPIN1/ETC temperatures. Those should be right. If not, could be something going wonky?...
As you can see it's not detecting the 7730M, and the CPU temp would be outrageous if true.
rrr_img_68093.jpg

Core Temp
rrr_img_68094.jpg

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Hence, yes, Linux will only ever take off unless they build some sort of UNITED version that comes in a box and works on rails like Windows/MacOS.
Xandros tried this. Ask them how it worked. Oh, wait, you can't, they're long gone.

The problem with your assertion above is there is no "they". "Desktop Linux" is an idea, not a product, and there will never be "a" Linux. That would kinda destroy the idea of what the operating system is in the first place. Ubuntu is doing a decent job of polarizing the masses toward a reasonably usable distro, but if it were truly working the way you seem to want it to, people wouldn't say "I'm installing Linux", they'd say "I'm installing Ubuntu".

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
One of the barriers to getting the average user to use Linux is that you still have to use the command line instead of the GUI for some things. I put Ubuntu on an old box a few years ago to use as a minecraft server and I had to use the command line to get the proper version of java on it. It only took a few minutes of googling to figure it out, but not being able to just just download a program and install it as easily as you can on Windows is something plenty of people won't put up with.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
In a perfect Linux world, you can install things the same way as you can in Windows (with the addition of a little insert-your-password-here for privilege escalation). The problem is, when Shit Happens, it's much messier to clean up. Tell Average Joe that he needs to launch Synaptic to fix something and you might as well just cancel the whole deal.

(Never mind the very notion of fixing apt/dpkg/yum/rpm via command line, heh)

iannis

Musty Nester
This shit Microsoft is starting to slide into is making me leery that I might have to fuck with Linux. I don't want to. But I might have to. I'm old enough to remember what a fucking HASSLE that was.

Yes, you get this wonderfully customizable machine. And in theory that's great. Maybe it even actually matters if you're an IT nerd. I just want something that fucking works. My OS is not a god damn hobby.

It might catch on, if MS keeps twirling their mustache and laughing cartoonishly. Or, something I find equally likely, theentiremedium might just move to apple products.

You don't understand. This is an appliance for most people. Do you rebuild your lawnmower engine. For fun?

spronk

FPS noob
if microsoft changes windows to a subscription service (pay $10/mo for windows updates!) and SteamOS slowly gains ground and figures out a way to run every single Steam game "natively" you will see a slow migration. will take 5-10 years but its going to happen because Microsoft fucks up, not because Linux suddenly becomes way better

already 99% of what I do on my PC is inside the browser, couldn't really give a shit what OS I run anymore but I do run Origin/steam/Blizzard/etc games so would want them to run without having to do Wine or anything difficult. I uninstalled Office years ago and don't miss it AT ALL.

it will definitely be something you don't think of as linux at all, like Steam or Google/ChromeOS etc

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Linux will never gain mainstream popularity, keep dreaming fucktards
3 of the 4 mainstream OS choices on today's devices are UNIX/Linux based. Android, iOS, OS X. Also, Microsoft has been steadily shifting back to a command line interface for most of its administration over the last 10 years (to the point where you now need PowerShell to perform basic tasks).

If you don't think Linux is gaining mainstream popularity, you're the one who's dreaming.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Those "3 out of 4" mainstream OS choices for mobile devices do exactly what I said was needed for it to gain popularity-- make Linux a "baked" product that works on rails. Android, IOS, your router GUI, etc are all for the lack of a better term, "unified" and entirely remove the command line-- the user has no idea they're using Linux. Android took off because it works similar to windows/iOS, not because it's running Linux.

You define (and like) Linux as an OS that offers choices. Techies that aren't afraid of computers and don't view them as toasters like choices. Unfortunately exactly what Linux fans love about Linux desktop is exactly what drives the mainstream populace away from using it. Until that little conundrum is solved your average Joe won't be using Linux except in incarnations where what you love about Linux (choices) is stripped out and served up in a cookie cutter format (Android).

xrg

Golden Squire
If the average consumer were to buy one of those System76 computers with Ubuntu preinstalled I don't think they would have a terribly difficult time with it -- not anymore than they'd have with Windows 8 anyway. It has a Software Center for installing things, and most of what that type of user does is in a web browser anyway. With Valve pushing SteamOS quite a bit of stuff is now getting Linux ports, which over the long term might make it a lot easier for people to transition to if they want to.

You rarelyneedto use a terminal to do things in Linux these days. GNOME, KDE, and usually even XFCE do expose most options via GUI tools. However, when you search for help you typically still get the CLI answer because it's easier and less error prone to tell someone to copy/paste a few commands than write out a multistep solution describing how to navigate an interface.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I don't think desktops are going anywhere anytime soon. At least not until they can build a tablet/laptop with all the same power/features as a desktop for the same price. The majority of computers are still sold to companies for business use, and they don't give a shit that current day tablets/laptops are "almost as good". Your average corporate user has no use for portability, and hence there's no reason for a company to cough up the extra money vs a desktop. Not to mention, unless your employee actually needs to travel for work, you actually don't want them to have a portable computer for security reasons. MAYBE, once your corporate purchaser sees a "surface 4" w/docking station with the same capabilities/price as an HP Business Desktop, they'll say "sure, why not", but that's still a ways off, and even then you'll be making sacrifices in terms of durability, warranty, and ease of repair. Sales for desktops are declining, but they're doing so due to average home consumers. That will quickly reach an equilibrium point unless companies start doing the same.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah sorry, I dont want a POS tablet or laptop at work. Its bad enoughI have to stare at this shit all day long, I dont want to stare at a tablet or some laptop. I want this...

rrr_img_68341.jpg

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Windows 9 will probably come with unicorns that shit rainbows and free blowjobs given Microsoft's previous track record of odd/even releases.