Windows 8

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
While I've never used the Microsoft app store on my desktop PC, I do use an app store pretty much daily(Steam). If the Windows app store were run like Steam with regular sales & bundles, I'd probably use it.
With all the trash being dumped into Steam over the last several months Steam is becoming more like the Windows app store quicker than the other way around unfortunately.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
The problem with an app store for a windows PC, is how often would someone even need to use that? The only types of programs that people are buying on a regular daily/weekly/monthly basis is games, and Steam/Uplay/Origin already has that angle well covered. Outside of that, what software would people buy for their PC? Anti-virus? Thats a one-time purchase that you never need to make again. Office suite? Same thing. Tax software once a year? Productivity/business software isn't something that people are going to be buying on a frequent basis at all. I just don't see a lot of point to a Windows store for PCs.

I dont see the Windows store every becoming very useful unless they start selling media (music, movies, Tv shows), but you're going to have a big problem convincing people to switch over from iTunes or Netflix or however they currently get their media.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
The biggest problem with some of these apps is needing UAC turned on in order for them to launch. I'd rather not use any of them if it means I have to deal with fucking UAC prompts.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Disabling UAC, windows sounds and recycle bin are the first things I do on every windows install.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
The problem with an app store for a windows PC, is how often would someone even need to use that? The only types of programs that people are buying on a regular daily/weekly/monthly basis is games, and Steam/Uplay/Origin already has that angle well covered. Outside of that, what software would people buy for their PC? Anti-virus? Thats a one-time purchase that you never need to make again. Office suite? Same thing. Tax software once a year? Productivity/business software isn't something that people are going to be buying on a frequent basis at all. I just don't see a lot of point to a Windows store for PCs.

I dont see the Windows store every becoming very useful unless they start selling media (music, movies, Tv shows), but you're going to have a big problem convincing people to switch over from iTunes or Netflix or however they currently get their media.
Pretty surprised there aren't any productivity, bitmap/image/media editors, and computer utility apps on there. The OSX store (not iOS) is filled with a lot of really decent software. It is convenient to have that shit all in one place and able to browse. You can actually download most of them directly from the publishers but it is nice to have the app store handle updates. Only downside is that they have some security restrictions and require that apps take a sand boxing approach. It does affect certain apps like text expanders but for most it is a non issue.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I did have the guys contact information on my paypal account history. But for some reason I cant find it now. What was the guy on reddits name that was selling win8 keys for like 10 bucks? I need another one for a friend.

Crazily

N00b
Apps require UAC? That is some bullshit. I hate UAC.
Yep, we are struggling with this at work, we are rolling out win 8.1 enterprise and UAC is giving us major headaches. It interferes with our homegrown applications (of which we run several) but we need it for office 365 and the app store to work correctly. Better get used to it because it isn't going away.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Holy shit, really? I don't know of any enterprise environments jumping to Win8. That is just asking for trouble down the road, considering Microsoft has all but written Win8 off as a loss. It's the ME / Vista of this generation at something abysmal like 12% market share and falling. Win7 has actually gained marketshare in recent months. Win9 is right around the corner already. (Announcement expected Sep30 and Dev Preview in October)

Windows 9 release date, news and rumors | News | TechRadar

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
If you have a modern office with tablets (surface 2 and 3 and some older dells) you can't really get around using windows 8 currently.

Siliconemelons

We know that forced adoption rates of win 8 are the same as vista and me :p when new stuff comes with it the standard person does not "downgrade" and tablets are a controlled ecosystem still.

Where I work early on basically knew 8 was a vista/me situation- we get the RC's and Betas...when we got 7's beta everyone could tell it was a good OS and we prepared as an enterprise an upgrade plan etc. but 8 was "meh..." if people want it we give it to em in 8.1 and the hacked start bar and make it where they never see metro mode.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Guys, Windows 8.1 is not the Windows ME/Vista of our generation. If you actually had used Windows ME, you'd know this comparison is a crock of shit, mainly because ME was fundamentally broken. I've been using 8.1 on my work PC for months no with zero issues-- it's basically Windows 7 with a start screen for me.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
If it feels like a downgrade to most users it's like Vista. It does, so it is. It doesn't matter what power users can get out of it. As a mass market product it's a botch for most of the systems it's distributed on.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This was my point. I didn't have any problem with Vista myself (outside of shoddy driver support). But as a whole, the OS failed. I would argue that Win8.1 is a bigger consumer failure than Vista ever was. The point being, Microsoft knows the public's opinion has already been made. It's over for Win 8 and they are moving on to Win 9 as quickly as possible.

I was surprised to hear about Win 8 being pushed in an office environment, knowing that it will have very limited support once Win 9 rolls out. (Again Vista to W7 comparison)

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
This was my point. I didn't have any problem with Vista myself (outside of shoddy driver support). But as a whole, the OS failed. I would argue that Win8.1 is a bigger consumer failure than Vista ever was. The point being, Microsoft knows the public's opinion has already been made. It's over for Win 8 and they are moving on to Win 9 as quickly as possible.

I was surprised to hear about Win 8 being pushed in an office environment, knowing that it will have very limited support once Win 9 rolls out. (Again Vista to W7 comparison)
Meh, for us we didn't really "push" it on our user base, we simply decided that as we roll out new computers to replace the old, we might as well just stick Windows 8.1 on them since all our apps proved to be compatible. We waited a bit for the internetz to better support IE 11, then just started rolling it out and fine tuned GPO's to disable the MS store and have logons go straight to the desktop rather than the Metro interface. I don't think it will end up being treated like Vista, which was NOT suitable (or workable) in a corporate environment until at least SP1. The jump from 7 to 8 is an easy one to make from a driver/compatibility standpoint, unlike XP to Vista was, which was a total compatibility nightmare.

Siliconemelons

I agree that ME and Vista it was not only poor user exp but actual bad OS in programming, drivers, performance etc. 8.1 is a nice OS and is faster, more stable and just as compatible in everything I have done than 7- I use 8.1 ... MS had plenty of feedback from 8's launch and live time before 8.1 that they could have fixed the problem... pay the classic shell dude $$$$ to go away and put it back in, and remove or put metro in the back...back....BACKground like it should be.

Every consumer I have encountered that recently got a new machine and is annoyed by win8/.1 once I send them the link to classic shell they are happy as little clams. And everyone with half a brain saw 8.1 release notes and saw "added start button back" and assumed that it would give them what classic shell would... NOPE!

The problem with metro interface is that its a half assed "we did it" on their overall goal of making one OS for phone/tablet/computer and ARM/x86... once they realized they could not make that happen...at least in their Win8 big launch date that was set before it should have been... they had metro...so bring up the GWBush "Mission Accomplished" sign and hang it in front of Microsoft! Look we have one UI and OS across phone tablet and PC! no DONT GO INTO DESKTOP WHY THE @!$@!$@ WOULD YOU DO THAT NO!!!

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
So, since my Windows 8 computer updated the other day, every time I copy/move an mkv file it tells me that it might be harmful, and prompts me if I'm sure I want to do it. The specific wording is, "Your internet security settings suggest that one or more files may be harmful." I haven't changed my internet security settings, and on top of not really being sure if it is even possible to put a virus in an mkv file, nothing comes up when I scan the files with Malwarebytes and a few other programs. Well, and it isn't even my virus scanner that is giving me the warning, it is "Windows Security." This is every mkv file too, not just certain ones.

Anyone experiencing anything similar or know anything about why it might be doing that?