Witcher 3

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Make absolutely sure that you create an extra save before traveling to the isle of mists and do not ever overwrite that save.

The game itself will pop up like 15 fucking times telling you to do this, you better do this you retard, hey what are you doing, create a fucking save right now. make sure you've completed all side quests before venturing beyond this point, etc etc etc.

Do what the game says.

not actually a plot spoiler:

Depending on the number of side quests you do, this is about 60 hours give or take into the game when you create this save file. About an hour of exploring/questing later, you will have a series of conversations/quests (maybe 3 hours of content) that take place that, with very little rhyme or reason, determine the outcome of the game. Then about 10 hours of build up/loose ends/etc til the end of the game.

So that save point is saving the first 60 hours of the game, in case you fuck up and get an absolute shit ending, you only have to redo the last 15 or so hours.
Or just play the game as you want to and if you really feel like the ending should be different, youtube that stuff. Playing the game with knowledge that certain decisions are very important and some are not takes away from the experience in my opinion.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I understand this right, I make something ONCE and then it auto-replenishes just with alcohol whenever I meditate if I use it? I bought 7 Calcium Equum to make anti-nest bombs, I used both, I meditate and I have another batch ,yet I still have 5 calcium Equum in my inventory?

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
So I understand this right, I make something ONCE and then it auto-replenishes just with alcohol whenever I meditate if I use it? I bought 7 Calcium Equum to make anti-nest bombs, I used both, I meditate and I have another batch ,yet I still have 5 calcium Equum in my inventory?
Yep, alcohol replenishes all that shit. You just need to find them once

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Yeah but even on hard the potions beyond Swallow/Night vision are basically useless. I never used bombs or any of the bonus potions and I finished on hardest difficulty, you can basically spam/roll your way to most fights. Signs are 10x more important.

the only bombs I used sometimes was Dimetherium (sp?), the one that blocks monsters from using their special abilities and the one you can ignite with Igni

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
The game has some pretty obvious main parts of quests. They are pretty involved. If you get in the habit of using 3 saves one at the start of a quest, one at the middle and a working save that you use often and before you talk to people it will make your life easier when you accidently do things like kill off a somewhat important character or get an obviously shitty outcome. Re load and do it again right this time.

One big difference about 3 compared to the others in the series is there really is a best ending this time for, IIRC, just about every single quest in the game. There are a few shades of grey quests but for the most part, all the important decisions can be made in a way to mostly prevent shitty outcomes.

Spoilers from here. Game has been out forever so no pussy shit about spoiler box. Don't read anymore if you don't want them.

If you don't like the outcome, it's likely not just something you said it's likely something you missed. One such option is killing Keira. That is the failed path. You don't have to kill her and the only reason you had to fight here is because you fucked up the previous quest with the Petra. Something simple like not taking the cunt ghost at it's word and exposing its plot while in the tower the first time gives you the ability to take the quest on a much longer and more satisfying ending while simultaneously allowing you to tell Keira NO you aren't taking germ warfare to Radivid and send her to Kaer Morhen instead of having to cut her down.

What I liked about that is if you play the game well, you kind of automatically get the better endings. Same thing with the botchling in the Baron quest. If you take the quick and easy path and kill it or don't fully end the story on the best note possible there by changing the Baron completely as a person then you get a shittier ending on that side of things.

Another are the people to pigs curse.

Another is the Jack the ripper style killer in the city.

The game is loaded with these but if you played the other games and you run into these quests you'll notice something peculiar and pay attention. There are a handful of times where talking to people a second time net you an amazing difference in story. There are times when your quest will end but if you're paying attention you don't take the ending at face value, go check things out and find that the quest didn't really end (jack the ripper style quest in the city you come up on after doing Dandelions boring ass series).

There is just a ton of great quests in this game. There are some boring ass run to this, run to that, run and talk to this twat for 2 hours and nothing happens quests as well. All lined up mostly in a row when you meet your old companions in Novigrad. This stands out as so damn boring because the rest of the game was just about as amazing as you can get it was quite the change in pace and quality. About the only thing I really found disappointing about this game is the open world was mostly empty besides the copy and paste POIs and Novigrad had some straight up terrible portions compared to the rest of the game.

Still GOTY though and an amazing game.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Yeah amazing game nonetheless. Really hoping Witcher 4 follows Ciri. I feel like she had a really cool fighting mechanic with the teleport and wish I had gotten more of dat ass.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
The game has some pretty obvious main parts of quests. They are pretty involved. If you get in the habit of using 3 saves one at the start of a quest, one at the middle and a working save that you use often and before you talk to people it will make your life easier when you accidently do things like kill off a somewhat important character or get an obviously shitty outcome. Re load and do it again right this time.

One big difference about 3 compared to the others in the series is there really is a best ending this time for, IIRC, just about every single quest in the game. There are a few shades of grey quests but for the most part, all the important decisions can be made in a way to mostly prevent shitty outcomes.

Spoilers from here. Game has been out forever so no pussy shit about spoiler box. Don't read anymore if you don't want them.

If you don't like the outcome, it's likely not just something you said it's likely something you missed. One such option is killing Keira. That is the failed path. You don't have to kill her and the only reason you had to fight here is because you fucked up the previous quest with the Petra. Something simple like not taking the cunt ghost at it's word and exposing its plot while in the tower the first time gives you the ability to take the quest on a much longer and more satisfying ending while simultaneously allowing you to tell Keira NO you aren't taking germ warfare to Radivid and send her to Kaer Morhen instead of having to cut her down.

What I liked about that is if you play the game well, you kind of automatically get the better endings. Same thing with the botchling in the Baron quest. If you take the quick and easy path and kill it or don't fully end the story on the best note possible there by changing the Baron completely as a person then you get a shittier ending on that side of things.

Another are the people to pigs curse.

Another is the Jack the ripper style killer in the city.

The game is loaded with these but if you played the other games and you run into these quests you'll notice something peculiar and pay attention. There are a handful of times where talking to people a second time net you an amazing difference in story. There are times when your quest will end but if you're paying attention you don't take the ending at face value, go check things out and find that the quest didn't really end (jack the ripper style quest in the city you come up on after doing Dandelions boring ass series).

There is just a ton of great quests in this game. There are some boring ass run to this, run to that, run and talk to this twat for 2 hours and nothing happens quests as well. All lined up mostly in a row when you meet your old companions in Novigrad. This stands out as so damn boring because the rest of the game was just about as amazing as you can get it was quite the change in pace and quality. About the only thing I really found disappointing about this game is the open world was mostly empty besides the copy and paste POIs and Novigrad had some straight up terrible portions compared to the rest of the game.

Still GOTY though and an amazing game.
What is even better is that the game doesn't judge you for whatever ending a quest has. There is no +1 good/+1bad ala bioware. Nothing really screws you out of completely unrelated choices and the endings you reach usually feel satisfying enough and you know what you fucked up. Which is why I think youtubing/replaying certain parts before finishing the game completely breaks the immersion and should be aovoided.

HUH_sl

shitlord
Probably going to pick this up tomorrow. How's the difficulty compared to Witcher 2 on normal settings? And are there many (pointless) sidequests?
A lot of skills make you very powerful, people keep saying signs are super OP, and they are, but so is everything else. I rolled through the game barely using them and had no issue on the hardest difficulty. So as long as you don't blindly assign points it's pretty easy to make yourself OP no matter what play style you like.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
I used a respec potion one night before falling asleep. When I picked the game up I just played through forgetting that I had respeced so hadn't reassigned any of my points in to anything. it was kinda harder but didn't notice for like 6 fucking levels when I finally went to spend the points and noticed I had like 30 extra points to spend.

On hard there's a few places you'll use oils, basically if you are way under leveled that shit is noticable. otherwise not really.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
A lot of skills make you very powerful, people keep saying signs are super OP, and they are, but so is everything else. I rolled through the game barely using them and had no issue on the hardest difficulty. So as long as you don't blindly assign points it's pretty easy to make yourself OP no matter what play style you like.
Yeah even things like fast/strong attack are pointless, I think I stopped using strong attack after level 1 and just left clicked my way to victory.

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
Hey guys. So I just got this the other day on ps4. So the text to me like alot of others is super small. Even after the patch to make it bigger. Am I missing somthing besides changing the ui size to large?

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
if you are way under leveled that shit is noticable.
I'm not a fan of the MMORPG-strict level system they use. You don't start out as some level 1 little shit faced noob, you start out as the White Wolf Geralt of Rivia, one of the best swordsmen of the time. While leveling to improve the aspects of your character are important for gameplay reasons, I don't think you should look at a Noonwraith, see a skull for level and say "fuck it let me do some side quests in Novigrad first before I tackle this one".

If I put on the spectre oil, the moon bombs and drop down Yrden, that high level Noonwraith in Velen should drop just like any other. That mob being invincible due to high level doesn't fit with the Witcher imo.

It's also way too combat heavy if you go "just the story" on difficulty. I'd have cut out half the fights vs mooks for that mode.

But overall it's an amazing story. The play with Irina I did today, absolutely hilarious.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing? On hard, red skull things are supposed to beat you if you just run in left clicking like mad, then you read the little beastiary, use the extra systems the game has (oils, bombs, signs), use some strategy and then you can beat them.

on easy you can beat them without using any of that stuff. I wouldn't say that it uses a strict level system at all. by the time you are about 15th level and have a few of the more powerful abilities (basically choose one: igni destroys armor, or strong attack ignores armor) then you can kill anything in the game. level 15 vs lvl 35? no sweat. on hard. but by that time you've figure out the various strategies to use, when to use oils or not, what to do vs x, how to down flying creatures, how to avoid certain attacks, etc. Nothing is invincible regardless of level.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Level does play a colossal role for damage received / taken. I've just fought Tyler Durden with me being level 18 and he being skull.. barely got him to half health with left click spam (is there another way to fight in fistfighting?) before he knocked me out. I gained _one_ lousy level and the rematch 19 vs 24 I beat him with him only getting 2 counter hits in, barely touching my health bar.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Yeah you have to be patient, stay far back enough so they always go for the big hit, and then counter. Don't get greedy and go for multiple hits youll end up getting pummeled.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Notice how the damage to Gael numbers are roughly the same between two videos, yet in the first, it takes pixels and in the second it takes inches. Apparently there's some massive hidden damage reduction against underleveled opponents.

The first hit to Geralt that I don't quen soak is 1775 damage. Sadly the one hit I take in the second fight is blocked by info spam, but it's nowhere near 1k. So there's also a massive damage boost against underleveled opponents.