Witcher 3

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Let's not forget that the consoles need a "miracle patch" as well, because the review versions were running at more like 25 fps rather than 30.

The vast majority of 570's are 1280MB cards, can we stop with the hyperbole? That shit isn't running the game on ultra, period, let alone at 60 fps"
I would bet, although I gave my 570 to loderunner,
That he will be able to run the game at the same level of fidelity as the ps4. Problem is I will have to buy it for him.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Your commentary is spot on. It's pretty obvious that they sold out big-time to NVIDIA judging by the free Wither 3 bundled with all new NVIDIA card sales. They had good reason to keep it quite because NVIDIA probably dropped millions into their lap.
Just saw this. Yeah I wondered about the add on situation. How many of those cards were sold because "I need to run this game!"

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
And it's technically a Tuesday release like normal - just for some EU time zone, so we get it midday Monday because that's when it's midnight Tuesday in Poland or whatever it's using for the release date.
Warsaw is 6 hours ahead of New York.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I would bet, although I gave my 570 to loderunner,
That he will be able to run the game at the same level of fidelity as the ps4. Problem is I will have to buy it for him.
Maybe, though I doubt it. I would be more inclined to believe a 570 is only running the game on the lowest settings. But you're still basing the idea that the PS4 and PC (ultra) versions look the same off of a video downscaled to 720p and mangled by YouTube's shitty compression. I still find the idea that it's possible for the two to look the same absurd, when PC ultra is using almost 3x the texture memory that the PS4 is capable of. Even in those videos I can spot differences easily.

Just saw this. Yeah I wondered about the add on situation. How many of those cards were sold because "I need to run this game!"
CDPR recommended a GTX770, which is too old to buy today at a reasonable price, but it's basically equivalent to a GTX 960. That's a $200 card, which is a reasonable investment for 1080p60.

If you want to blame someone, then like I said in the piracy thread: Blame Nvidia's GameWorks program. That's what is stifling PC innovation.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Maybe, though I doubt it. I would be more inclined to believe a 570 is only running the game on the lowest settings. But you're still basing the idea that the PS4 and PC (ultra) versions look the same off of a video downscaled to 720p and mangled by YouTube's shitty compression. I still find the idea that it's possible for the two to look the same absurd, when PC ultra is using almost 3x the texture memory that the PS4 is capable of. Even in those videos I can spot differences easily.
With that video that they took down off Youtube, I couldn't see the difference between max settings on the PC and the PS4 version. With that said, I am sure the low settings on the PC will look worse, that video is magically somehow still up and not taken down.

CDPR recommended a GTX770, which is too old to buy today at a reasonable price, but it's basically equivalent to a GTX 960. That's a $200 card, which is a reasonable investment for 1080p60.

If you want to blame someone, then like I said in the piracy thread: Blame Nvidia's GameWorks program. That's what is stifling PC innovation.[/QUOTE]

Very true Vorph.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
This is like an MMO thread, all this shit will go away once the game comes out.
smile.png
Yep.

Vorph

With that video that they took down off Youtube, I couldn't see the difference between max settings on the PC and the PS4 version. With that said, I am sure the low settings on the PC will look worse, that video is magically somehow still up and not taken down.
What I'm saying is, you can't compare two 1080p videos after cutting them together, scaling them down to 720p, and compressing them with YouTube's very aggressive compression algorithm. You need the original 1080p sources--uncompressed--to make a valid judgement.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
What I'm saying is, you can't compare two 1080p videos after cutting them together, scaling them down to 720p, and compressing them with YouTube's very aggressive compression algorithm. You need the original 1080p sources--uncompressed--to make a valid judgement.
Yeah I think what is missing though are the great particle effects and all the scaled down features which was written in the post by that dev. I mean they had blood droplets floating on water at one point. I have never seen that before, and I would have loved to see a full version of what they were going to do before they had to cut all of that. Especially since they were selling 980's to promote it up until 3 days ago when finally someone from the company came out and said different.

As said, I still cannot wait for it. Going to be a fun game regardless.

Meanwhile, I am now Chris Kluwe over on the SA forums after blasting their asses about it and watching the viral marketing folks come in to shout it down. (I sparked that but I thought it was hilarious when I typed in Utnayan NFL in google and the damn thing popped up with Chris Kluwe as the first hit.)

I am a republican for Christ sake. I am insulted.

Billy Joel - less than 12 hours. Tarrant, are you going to be out and about in downtown by the Target Center? It's Miller time buddy. Ill buy! Having dinner at 6.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I have dinner plans for a double date tonight or else I'd take you up on that. I regret not getting tickets for that concert.
frown.png

I got a new job about three months ago that pretty much allows me to come and go as I please at any time, any afternoon you want to meet up let me know and we can grab a few where ever.

Vorph

The only 'downgrade' pic that really bothers me (assuming it's actually true in the final version of the game) is this one:
Spoiler for size.
QcOH0nT.png

I don't give a shit about grass clipping through rocks, every open world game has shit like that (if you were to read a full changelog of one of the megapatches for any Bethesda game, you'd find a couple thousand entries for making rocks not float in midair). Or even the lighting, which looks overly yellow in the 2015 version, because I can fix that with ReShade and/or MasterEffect. I'm just looking at the corner of the wall. That's an actual geometry change, for what seems like no good reason.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I have dinner plans for a double date tonight or else I'd take you up on that. I regret not getting tickets for that concert.
frown.png

I got a new job about three months ago that pretty much allows me to come and go as I please at any time, any afternoon you want to meet up let me know and we can grab a few where ever.
You should double date downtown!

Yeah those tickets are at fun prices now. But... if you really wanted to go, I bet at 8pm you could easily grab 4 tickets for under 300 total.

I wish I had backstage passes. I need to get back there to shake the hand of not only the legend of music in my eyes, but a guy who shagged Brinkley.

I'll have to tell you about the time I was backstage with REO Speedwagon at the State Fair. What a mess. They were so up on themselves it was hilarious. They had a guy that came out before REO came out backstage to talk to all of us... and I kid you not, a dude with a loudspeaker came out and said, "REO IS ABOUT TO ENTER. IF YOU MET THEM BEFORE DO NOT TALK ABOUT IT AS THEY WILL NOT REMEMBER YOU. HERE COMES THE GREATEST BAND OF ALL TIIIIME!" I looked at my wife and said, "Really? these guys haven't had an original hit since I was mowing my lawn at age 9.

Then when I was talking to Kevin Cronin, he told me he was a Bears fan. That's when I said, "I love you guys. Remember Sony Walkman's? I used to listen to you while mowing my lawn. I think I still have the cassette. It was the last time you had original music. Glorious times!"

I give him credit though, he laughed and said, "Yeah you are right. Sorry I am a bears fan" and we hugged it out.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
I haven't been following this much but someone on twitter just described it as Grand Theft Auto: Westeros, so now I have to buy it.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
The only 'downgrade' pic that really bothers me (assuming it's actually true in the final version of the game) is this one:
Spoiler for size.
QcOH0nT.png

I don't give a shit about grass clipping through rocks, every open world game has shit like that (if you were to read a full changelog of one of the megapatches for any Bethesda game, you'd find a couple thousand entries for making rocks not float in midair). Or even the lighting, which looks overly yellow in the 2015 version, because I can fix that with ReShade and/or MasterEffect. I'm just looking at the corner of the wall. That's an actual geometry change, for what seems like no good reason.
I agree. Thing is, in all honesty, the game will still be fantastic. But the promotional fraud to people who bought expensive video cards based on what they were seeing and feeling the need to upgrade, needs to be addressed.

Still looking forward to playing it though. Almost as fired up for this as I was for Skyrim.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
No homo, but I'd have a threesome with Vorph and Utnayan. Sorry Column, maybe next time.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Spoiler for size.
Wouldn't that be tessellation and shit? You'd think they could just have a fucking slider to increase or decrease that shit. I know I have fucked around with graphics demos that allow for that kind of modification on the fly.

Vorph

Yeah, Witcher 2 still looks fantastic. I'm replaying it right now with texture mods and ReShade.

Never did Iorveth's path on Dark difficulty so I'm plowing through that now, while trying to think about what I can bind to the DS4 touchpad that will be most useful. The most surprising thing to me was that when I tried both vanilla and FCR2 combat again after a year+ of not playing the game, I prefer vanilla by far.

Wouldn't that be tessellation and shit? You'd think they could just have a fucking slider to increase or decrease that shit. I know I have fucked around with graphics demos that allow for that kind of modification on the fly.
Tessellation and displacement mapping, yeah. The 2015 picture looks like it is only bump-mapped. Hopefully that was just something funky in the build they took the screenshot from, and not something in the final release.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Someone in the SA thread just quoted a Billy Joel song. If that was one of you guys, I love you.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I don't get it. What is so hard about putting sliders in so we can adjust based on our hardware.