Witcher 3

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just as heads up, I think I screwed up something that can be avoided:

I never made a "Dancing Star" bomb before I got the Enhanced version of the recipe. The enhanced version requires a Dancing Star bomb as an ingredient....the problem is, it seems that the enhanced version *replaces* the original base version in the Alchemy list. So now it seems I can't make (and don't have any of) the original Dancing Star bomb at all, and thus will never be able to make the Enhanced and Superior versions also.

Does anyone know any way around that?

If not, I recommend folks go out of their way to get the original versions of all the alchemy recipes even if they never intend to use them so the upgraded versions will still be available later.
Are you sure you actually had the Dancing Star recipe? I have a couple cases where both the plain and enhanced recipes show up fine in my list.

That's what I used to use, then one day it updated itself to inputmapper. It worked, so I didn't care.

Downloaded dswindows now though, but how do you make the profile set up for in game actions? Whenever I touch the touchpad on the DS4, it registers as a mouse movement giving the message "control type changed, Keyboard and mouse".
DS4Windows became InputMapper and then someone else (J2W) forked the project, renamed it back to DS4Windows, removed all the adware shit, and added profiles.

It should look like this (check Use Touchpad Swipes for Controls):
DS4W.png

Pay special attention to the Scan Code thing when you bind a key to the touchpad. You have to check the Scan Code box before you select the key to bind, or else it won't actually work in the game.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Pay special attention to the Scan Code thing when you bind a key to the touchpad. You have to check the Scan Code box before you select the key to bind, or else it won't actually work in the game.
The scan code thing was what I was missing. Thank you!

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
What is the D5, D6, D3 Scan Code? New to DS4windows and setting up the touchpad. Always just used the scpserver driver straight up.

Hmm nevermind figured it out about 2 second after posting and just clicking things. But still doesn't work, hmm.. still uses the track pad like mouselook and the pad buttons like other commands.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
What is the D5, D6, D3 Scan Code? New to DS4windows and setting up the touchpad. Always just used the scpserver driver straight up.
5,6 and 3 are just the numbers on the keyboard. They are marked D, not sure what it stands for. Digit?

The Scan code you get next to it when you check the checkbox for it.

IE: Double click on the button you wish to change. Like Left touch. On the keyboard it brings up, select 5, then also on the far right on the keyboard, you will see a checkbox next to Scan Code. Enable it.

Need to enable it on all the button touchpad button configs.

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
Great game, probably the best Ive played in a long time. Thanks for the tip about potions, it helps a lot.

Durability is annoying as shit, however.

Vorph

But still doesn't work, hmm.. still uses the track pad like mouselook and the pad buttons like other commands.
Did you check the Use Touchpad Swipes for Controls box? And if you didn't edit the default profile, did you actually load the new one instead?

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Great game, probably the best Ive played in a long time. Thanks for the tip about potions, it helps a lot.

Durability is annoying as shit, however.
Not sure if I'm swapping out gear more than I realize or what, but I've only repaired once and I'm level 7, about 15 hours in. What are you experiencing?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Ah that was the trick, completely ignored the 'Controllers' tab so it was still stuck on default profile.

skribble

Not sure if I'm swapping out gear more than I realize or what, but I've only repaired once and I'm level 7, about 15 hours in. What are you experiencing?
Seems like any time I go do a few quests everything is red, really quickly, especially swords.

Vorph

I had to use two 40% repair kits on my silver sword during the main story quest in the elf ruins (if I didn't have those I'm pretty sure I'd have had to reload a savegame from before I went inside). Typical sidequest: head out of town towards quest marker, killing things that get in my way, by the time I reach the marker and get to the final part of the quest at least one of my swords is already in the red. And my steel sword gets close to breaking long before I am actually wanting to return to town while exploring POIs.

Armor hasn't been a problem. It seems like it only takes damage when you get hit and getting hit without Quen up on Death March leads to reloading more often than not.

I don't really swap gear at all if I can help it; green "Witcher" items trump all, but getting more than one of each isn't really practical.

A mod to shut off durability entirely is #1 on my wishlist for this game right now. #2 would be an auto-win mod for Gwent, because I don't find it fun at all. Even dice poker was better.

Vorph

CD Projekt tackles The Witcher 3 downgrade issue head on Eurogamer.net

Before I get into the nitty-gritty, know that a big patch with 600 changes - including improvements to graphics and graphical settings - was sent to certification today (Wednesday 20th May), and will take between five and seven days to clear. There will be patch notes covering it all.
Sounds great, but at the same time... if there's something to be pissed off about, it's that this patch is ready and could be pushed live on GOG/Steam today but we're going to sit around for a fucking week waiting for Sony and MS to certify it for the peasants.

skribble

I had to use two 40% repair kits on my silver sword during the main story quest in the elf ruins (if I didn't have those I'm pretty sure I'd have had to reload a savegame from before I went inside). Typical sidequest: head out of town towards quest marker, killing things that get in my way, by the time I reach the marker and get to the final part of the quest at least one of my swords is already in the red. And my steel sword gets close to breaking long before I am actually wanting to return to town while exploring POIs.

Armor hasn't been a problem. It seems like it only takes damage when you get hit and getting hit on Death March leads to reloading more often than not.

I don't really swap gear at all if I can help it; green "Witcher" items trump all, but getting more than one of each isn't really practical.

A mod to shut off durability entirely is #1 on my wishlist for this game right now. #2 would be an auto-win mod for Gwent, because I don't find it fun at all. Even dice poker was better.
Yeah exactly this, its actually making me not want to do sidequests because i think "awwww man ill need to find an armorsmith to fix this shit before I move onto the main story again, ah fuck it itll just forget it", which I don't think is a good gameplay experience. Im surprised it didn't get looked at in testing.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
How weird; I'm not getting that experience at all. I'll have to look to see if my crafted sword has a higher durability than normal. I made the Viper silver sword from the intro area. It's only been repaired once since I made it (I think it was 77%) and I actually just completed the elf area you're referring to.

I can't think of why I'd not need repairs as often as you guys.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
How weird; I'm not getting that experience at all. I'll have to look to see if my crafted sword has a higher durability than normal. I made the Viper silver sword from the intro area. It's only been repaired once since I made it (I think it was 77%) and I actually just completed the elf area you're referring to.

Are you doing just the main story or all the POIs? Because my issue is happening when I get to an area and do like 80% of the POIs, Sidequests, and main quest. Then the durability on weapons really starts taking a hit. Just trucking through the main quest and it probably wouldn't be so noticeable.

Vorph

That's the same sword I use still. Did you do all the side areas or just follow the 'correct' marks? There's a whole bunch of extra wraiths, a few foglets, a gargoyle, and a second golem. That shit is murder on the silver sword, especially the gargoyle and golems.

Is gwent the main way we are supposed to make money?
I don't play gwent, but I make my money by selling junk. The trick (which I still haven't figured out completely) is know what to sell and what to break down.

Or you can just 'sploit. Cows in White Orchard respawn infinitely if you meditate an hour, and their hides are valuable. It's cheesy and I opted not to do it on my first playthrough, but it's about the only way to buy the Temerian DLC armor while it's still relevant, if you care about that.

-------------------

As an update to the v-sync discussion from yesterday, I decided to try forcing dynamic v-sync on with RadeonPro and it solved all my problems. I can scroll the map around without tearing, and when I run into something in the field that makes my PC chug a bit v-sync shuts off instead ofreallytanking the framerate. I don't notice any tearing in those situations, it's really only an issue when you're panning around a flat image.

As a side bonus, RadeonPro's SMAA on ultra looks a lot nicer than the in-game post-process AA, so I turned that on as well.

Nvidia users should have a thing in the drivers to force adaptive v-sync on, or alternatively RadeonPro is not just for AMD cards. For SMAA, it's either RadeonPro or SweetFX/ReShade/MasterEffect.

DMK_sl

shitlord
Definitely play on a controller.

I understand taste is subjective but I struggle to see how anyone who is into rpg's wouldn't consider this a master peice. I absolutely fucken love this game.

As to the downgrading I really do think something needs to be done about it. Whether Devs more openly admit it may downgrade or something it seems like it's been creeping into gaming.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
So sounds like wait for the first patch, play on a controller, profit? Am I missing anything?
Unless you weren't going to play anyway, I wouldn't wait until the first patch. I've not encountered any gameplay bugs (at all). I was having crash issues before I unplugged my 2nd monitor, and if I try to use my mouse to sort my inventory the game will occasionally freeze.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Rofl, the dead fetus ghost quest line was good. Game is great floaty movement aside. Wife hasn't seen me since Sunday as I've locked myself in theater room every night.