Witcher 3

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
So this may be a stupid question but I am not seeing an answer. I went to the contract board in the beginning area and grabbed all the documents at once thinking I would then have six contracts. It only gave me one and I cannot find the other five. Am I missing something here?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Most of the things posted on boards are just fluff, like in Witcher 2. There's a lot more boards this time, and so a lot more fluff.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Correct me if I'm wrong here Vorph, but I'm pretty confident if it's in your Useables tab it can be safely discarded. Quest items have their own tabs.

It's a lot easier to manage your potions and oils when they're not hidden in a library of books, notices, and letters in your bags.

DMK_sl

shitlord
So this may be a stupid question but I am not seeing an answer. I went to the contract board in the beginning area and grabbed all the documents at once thinking I would then have six contracts. It only gave me one and I cannot find the other five. Am I missing something here?
Sometimes if you go back to a village after doing certain quests there will be messages relating to the out come of what you've done which is a cool little addition.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
As said those boards are mostly fluff. Grab the notices and your log will update with actual quests or contracts. Many times that stuff will be much higher level which is retarded but it is what it is. Grab it and let it sit in your log until you're ready. There is some decent fluff in there though if you decide to read them as mentioned already.

I recommend doing the story quests almost exclusively and as you go about your business in game on those quests knock out any ? that fit your fancy which are nearby. Don't be surprised if you run into some that are high level and you can't do, ignore them, yes is stupid design and move on with another in the area or finish the story. If you do that, for the most part, you won't have as many issues with the high levels. Sure, the POI's are dry, boring and uninspired mostly but you can get some really nice loot and ability points from them.

While the open world portions of this game aren't good at all, stick with it and get that story quests advanced because that alone makes the game worth the price of entry. There are lots of things I can say is wrong with the actual game and how it doesn't live up to the hype (what does?) but in the end, the story is pretty damn good and ramps up pretty quickly once you get out of the first starter area.

Stick with it. Very much worth it.

DMK_sl

shitlord
What other open world game has had equal or noticeably better side quests than witcher 3? I think it's side quest are one of its strong points.

Much better than Skyrim GTA 5 or Dragon age having played and finished them all.

Denaut

Trump's Staff

Denaut

Trump's Staff
What other open world game has had equal or noticeably better side quests than witcher 3? I think it's side quest are one of its strong points.

Much better than Skyrim GTA 5 or Dragon age having played and finished them all.
I think W3 has a good parallel with Skyrim. Both pissed me off and made me wonder aloud for similar reasons, but Witcher 3 isn't nearly as bad as Skyrim was.

DMK_sl

shitlord
I think W3 has a good parallel with Skyrim. Both pissed me off and made me wonder aloud for similar reasons, but Witcher 3 isn't nearly as bad as Skyrim was.
I really enjoyed Skyrm but I just don't think it had as much depth and polish as Witcher 3 has.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire

I didn't say anything about the side quests. Everything with a ! Is decent to great.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I really enjoyed Skyrm but I just don't think it had as much depth and polish as Witcher 3 has.
Skyrim has a much more interesting living world. Many more options as well but those options are shorter and not as in depth.

Witcher has a much better, in depth linear story.

They can both learn from each other. Add tighter controls from say bloodborne and that would be an awesome game

DMK_sl

shitlord
I didn't say anything about the side quests. Everything with a ! Is decent to great.
What do you mean by the open world aren't good at all? I must have interpreted it incorrectly. I feel like the Witcher enviroments are second to none and filled with heaps of cool stories. Plenty of places to explore aswell.

I disagree about Skyrim. I think the world felt pretty hollow TBH.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
The world feels empty? I can run and run and practically see nothing except trees. No one has anything to say of interest if they don't have a !. The ? Areas are mostly copy paste garbage. You don't think it's odd that you run into a huge swamp and only see 4 driwners in the entire swamp all butt fucking in one tiny area?

In skyrim, just about everyone had a story, did something and was believable. Witcher they are cut outs and no more. There is no reason to run up to a random in witcher because they have nothing to say. Not true for skyrim. The two aren't comparable.

I'm not saying it's not pretty. Just that it's boring and uninspired and very repetitive outside the !. Given these developers specifically called out skyrim for such it's a little funny that is all.

The ! Stuff is well done. The rest, which is a large part of the game, is not. I doubt I'll play this as long as skyrim because it's way to linear. Still a good game.

Denaut

Trump's Staff
What I should have clarified is that both games do the expensive part pretty well, large amounts of content to explore, discover, and interact with... but then they fall flat on their face with the more systematic stuff that doesn't cost much because it scales across the game. Good systems are difficult to make, but not usually much more expensive than bad systems.

Then there are the UI issues... just weird boneheaded things that make no sense. Like why is food and water separate, and why do they use potion quick slots. This means I am CONSTANTLY in my menu switching out potions for food and water. You can't even use them from your inventory, which would save you at least one trip to the menu. A much better alternative would be to just give you a "food" quick menu select for right bumper, and do away with water. Or, if you really want to keep both, it could detect that you have a food buff running and then drink instead of eat.

The sign quick menu is another thing. There are so many games that are much older the do it better already. The whole pull up the quick menu, select the new thing, press A, then press RT to cast. That is 4 button presses to cast a spell you don't currently have selected... which means you a) spend far too much time in the quick menu during a battle or b) Just say fuck it and spam your favorite sign.

A much better system would be like what classic brawlers like Dark Alliance or X-men Legends had (Fable as well I think) where you open the quick menu and this changes the face buttons to signs (yes I know there are 5, just illustrating), which then cast when you press them. So now casting a sign is hold LB - press A or something. Much better, much faster, and it encourages you to mix things.

There is much more I could go on about, maybe I will when I get home from work.

DMK_sl

shitlord
The world feels empty? I can run and run and practically see nothing except trees. No one has anything to say of interest if they don't have a !. The ? Areas are mostly copy paste garbage. You don't think it's odd that you run into a huge swamp and only see 4 driwners in the entire swamp all butt fucking in one tiny area?

In skyrim, just about everyone had a story, did something and was believable. Witcher they are cut outs and no more. There is no reason to run up to a random in witcher because they have nothing to say. Not true for skyrim. The two aren't comparable.

I'm not saying it's not pretty. Just that it's boring and uninspired and very repetitive outside the !. Given these developers specifically called out skyrim for such it's a little funny that is all.

The ! Stuff is well done. The rest, which is a large part of the game, is not. I doubt I'll play this as long as skyrim because it's way to linear. Still a good game.
Different taste I guess I got the feeling about skyrim that you get about the witcher.

DMK_sl

shitlord
What I should have clarified is that both games do the expensive part pretty well, large amounts of content to explore, discover, and interact with... but then they fall flat on their face with the more systematic stuff that doesn't cost much because it scales across the game. Good systems are difficult to make, but not usually much more expensive than bad systems.

Then there are the UI issues... just weird boneheaded things that make no sense. Like why is food and water separate, and why do they use potion quick slots. This means I am CONSTANTLY in my menu switching out potions for food and water. You can't even use them from your inventory, which would save you at least one trip to the menu. A much better alternative would be to just give you a "food" quick menu select for right bumper, and do away with water. Or, if you really want to keep both, it could detect that you have a food buff running and then drink instead of eat.

The sign quick menu is another thing. There are so many games that are much older the do it better already. The whole pull up the quick menu, select the new thing, press A, then press RT to cast. That is 4 button presses to cast a spell you don't currently have selected... which means you a) spend far too much time in the quick menu during a battle or b) Just say fuck it and spam your favorite sign.

A much better system would be like what classic brawlers like Dark Alliance or X-men Legends had (Fable as well I think) where you open the quick menu and this changes the face buttons to signs (yes I know there are 5, just illustrating), which then cast when you press them. So now casting a sign is hold LB - press A or something. Much better, much faster, and it encourages you to mix things.

To be honest I see these as really small things that don't really bother me. I accept that they aren't perfect but they are easily bearable. I don't think it really detracts from the game. If the writing was bad or combat terrible those are things that I really can't stand but I think the combat is great once you get the feel for it and the story is also awesome.

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm

Maybe its different using keyboard but you can eat food/drink without directly equipping them from the inventory screen, and use alt and mousewheel up/down to change signs. Id be very surprised if there is no quick way to change signs on a controller, that seems very silly.