Witcher 3

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
^that's what it was. Didn't realize you have to manually select that shit through the radial menu to use it.

Yeah I'm using keyboard and mouse. This situation might have annoyed me enough to switch though, tbh.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
The PC UI is a pain in the ass, it'd be better if they just took a simple 10 slot hotbar and let me stick any item in there, or at least if the inventory didn't take up the whole screen. Now I get into a fight with a boss monster, I need to know what is good against it, then pull up inventory, look for the proper oil, then move over to the bottom of usables for the potions, use/slot the good ones, slot bombs, then mash esc to exit all of that crap and then I'm ready to dance. The fact that your potions get sorted deep into the inventory, whereas oils go right to the start is the turd on the top. Don't get me started on the concotions.

I guess they wanted some parity between versions so they wouldn't have to tune it twice or whatever, but this is just terrible design.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You were 21 when you did the quest? Definitely do not do quests that are above your level if you care about loot. Treasure hunts excepted, since they give plans that never scale in level.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I can't play the game with my goddamn 2nd monitor plugged in. Apparently there is a bug when you have multiple monitors that are a different refresh rate than the one you are gaming on(gaming monitor is 1440p 96hz, 2nd monitor is 1200p 60hz) so the game crashes on me every 20-30 minutes unless I physically unplug the 2nd monitor from my video card. What a huge pain in the ass, I can't believe that hasn't been patched yet.

Guess I'm waiting to play until thats fixed. I'm not unplugging my monitor multiple times a day just to play this.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Patch 1.04 changelog:
Rebinding any key is now available after switching Unlock Bindings option in Options \ Key bindings submenu.
Corrects an issue in the dialog system that might rarely cause dialog looping in scenes.
Fixes an issue with incorrect behavior of Wild Hunt warriors after they were under the influence of Axii sign.
Corrects a bug causing spontaneous combustion of gas clouds.
1280 x 720 resolution is now properly displaying as valid resolution option.
Fixes boat stuttering in cutscenes.
Texture rendering quality for high / ultra presets improved.
Further improvements in NVIDIA Hairworks performance.
A few additional Gwent cards are now available in the Prologue area.
Fixes an issue where users with usernames using non-latin characters were unable to import saves from Witcher 2.
Overall stability and performance improvements.
Fixes related to alt + tabbing and minimizing game window.
Game icon updated.
Enlarges the size of the loot pop-up window in the UI.
Fixes an issue where, in certain circumstances, the comparison window could be displayed outside of game borders in the UI.
Upgrading set items no longer destroys sockets.
Small UI tweaks for Gwent.
Corrects some missing translations in localized versions.
Source

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
how good is this game? does it live up to the hype?
Its good. Very good even at times. No, its doesn't live up to the hype. Still worth buying unless you're a jade douche that gets zero enjoyment out of a mostly linear story driven RPG set in a large, good looking world.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
how good is this game? does it live up to the hype?
I'd argue it's hot candidate for best RPG of the year, but it depends on whether you are willing to get dragged by the story or not, despite a host of minor annoyances, which only grow bigger because the game is huge, 24 hours in and I feel like I'm around halfway through. Most of the writing and quest design makes Bioware games look like a bad joke, but I'm a sucker for slavic foklore, the graphics are gorgeous.

Living up to the hype ? For me, yes, and I'd guess almost everybody bitching about one thing or another in this thread has sunk in 20+ hours.

The good thing about CDP games is that they take post-launch support very seriously and there are 2 expansions planned, so the game will only get better if you wait 6 months.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I'd argue it's hot candidate for best RPG of the year, but it depends on whether you are willing to get dragged by the story or not, despite a host of minor annoyances, which only grow bigger because the game is huge, 24 hours in and I feel like I'm around halfway through. Most of the writing and quest design makes Bioware games look like a bad joke, but I'm a sucker for slavic foklore, the graphics are gorgeous.

Living up to the hype ? For me, yes, and I'd guess almost everybody bitching about one thing or another in this thread has sunk in 20+ hours.

The good thing about CDP games is that they take post-launch support very seriously and there are 2 expansions planned, so the game will only get better if you wait 6 months.
24 hours and half way? I am 35 hours in, level 12 and still not finished Baron quest, not met Triss yet, and 2/3rds of Velen is unexplored.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
24 hours and half way? I am 35 hours in, level 12 and still not finished Baron quest, not met Triss yet, and 2/3rds of Velen is unexplored.
Now that you mention it, I could be missing like 6-8 hours since I played without the galaxy luncher on the first day. Novigrad goes by a bit faster, since you don't have to take 5 minute horse ride everywhere.

Main quest gives by far the most experience.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Now that you mention it, I could be missing like 6-8 hours since I played without the galaxy luncher on the first day. Novigrad goes by a bit faster, since you don't have to take 5 minute horse ride everywhere.

Main quest gives by far the most experience.
I'm over halfway to 16 and just finalizing (I think) Novigrad. No more ?'s in Velen and no more appropriately leveled Witcher contracts. Steam says I've clocked 60 hours (yes, I'm kind of addicted). Playing on Death March so I've had to reload more times than I'm willing to admit, but loads from saves post-death are pretty quick (for the most part).

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Finally. Someone made a mod that unlocks the console, and there's a command winGwint(1) that does exactly what it says.

Its good. Very good even at times. No, its doesn't live up to the hype. Still worth buying unless you're a jade douche that gets zero enjoyment out of a mostly linear story driven RPG set in a large, good looking world.
I would say it's "very good" at the worst, and hits "excellent" most of the time. POIs are about the only thing in the game that aren't up to snuff, and I've probably made it clear by now what I think of sandbox content so I don't even mark that against the game at all. I tempered the hype with the reality of how flawed Witcher 1 and 2 were so if anything the game has exceeded my expectations by a large margin.

Is it a 10? Nah, that's reserved for PS:T. They'd have to botch the final act in a huge way for me to give it less than a 9-9.5 though.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Finally. Someone made a mod that unlocks the console, and there's a command winGwint(1) that does exactly what it says.

I would say it's "very good" at the worst, and hits "excellent" most of the time. POIs are about the only thing in the game that aren't up to snuff, and I've probably made it clear by now what I think of sandbox content so I don't even mark that against the game at all. I tempered the hype with the reality of how flawed Witcher 1 and 2 were so if anything the game has exceeded my expectations by a large margin.

Is it a 10? Nah, that's reserved for PS:T. They'd have to botch the final act in a huge way for me to give it less than a 9-9.5 though.
Semantics but I fall on the good to very good mostly because:

1. Obviously not all the quests are as good as others but there is a ton of fucking filler in there. Especially when you hit Novingrad. Tons of running around in here unless of course you skip it all and just hop on the boat to Skel after doing the mandatory part. Sometimes that stupid filler shit covers up some great gems, other times its garbage. Stuff just dragged on and on there for me. There were a few interesting things that happened the entire time there and there are probably 30 steps for each that started to get boring. I won't go into details but the plot endings were less than satisfying as well (while starting out pretty promising) which may or may not get tied up later. Some obviously will, others most likely not. They had so much to work with in that city and they squandered it on some of the more boring quests steps you can think up. I won't go into it anymore because of spoilers and length.

2. Controls can be anything from OK to down right annoying at times. Especially on the mount but it also extends to looting, combat, movement while on geralt.

3. Open world blah blah blah its a pretty minor gripe at this point the story is good enough to stand on its own so this gets a pass despite their trumpeting it

4. These developers called out Skyrim for being uninspired so I have to laugh a little when I use my Witcher Sense for like the 300th time by level 20. Sorry but kind of cool idea that they way over used.

Its a good to very good game. Even excellent at times. The knob slobbering 10/10 bullshit is just that, bull shit. I'm about half way through we'll see how it goes the rest of the way.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I made a macro on my G600 to switch to each sign and cast instantly after and also made a use + loot all macro.... going to be tough to swithc to the xbox 360 for pc controller I bought and now have that, but this game really cripples the controls for using joysticks and adds joystick aimbots to compensate.

Also did this to minimize the reload screens:
Turning off load screen explanation, possible?, page 1 - Forum - GOG.com

Not sure if you can turn them off.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
For some reason I thought the level cap was 35 but was surprised to learn that it's 70. I wonder if there's enough story and quest content to last until 70.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I try to have pretty low/realistic expectations going into ambitious projects. As the cliche says, realistic expectations are the key to happiness. PC Gamer gave Witcher 3 a 92/100. I'm pretty good with that score. Evaluating the game by contrasting the hype vs what was delivered would put it much lower, but I feel like they did a really good job, overall (as evidenced by my 60+ hours invested in a game that just released a week ago).

Quaid

Trump's Staff
The game getting a 10/10 is a fucking joke. Obvious flaws even a novice gamer would notice keep it from 'true' greatness.

That being said, I can't put it the fuck down. The first 10 hours went REAL slowly for me. I had never played a Witcher game and I put it on the hardest difficulty for the lulz. The floaty controls made this frustratingly difficult at first, but man does it get better once you're in the groove of it. Expect to be around 6/10 annoyed with the controls about once every 5 minutes or so. If you can handle that, you're gonna have fun with this game.