Witcher 3

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Bloodborne was fun but after the game was over i couldnt find anything else to do with it but give it away - the matchmaking was dreadful at BEST. - Otherwise it was solid,...just not....epic? Then again Bloodborne was my first souls type game was i was never a huge fan prior but i do like the type now.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
12356686_10153435310389331_5142407837452794123_o.jpg

12339277_10153435310349331_9105574552126972592_o.jpg

First screenshots of the next expansion

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Sorry if this is a bit obtuse but the dev said that all DLC would be free for the game. So are they just rebranding the DLC as expansions since DLC generally has a bad association with $10 swords or shit content?

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Sorry if this is a bit obtuse but the dev said that all DLC would be free for the game. So are they just rebranding the DLC as expansions since DLC generally has a bad association with $10 swords or shit content?
Well, depends, since there is no agreed definition of an expansion. I think they just chose DLC=free and expansion=paid for the clarity of communication, exactly for the reason you mentioned. I don't think anybody felt like they didn't get their money's worth from Hearts of Stone.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Their paid DLC expansions are more in line with what used to be called expansion packs in the old days and not the shitshow DLC has become today. They've released a lot of free DLC that are alternate cosmetics and small quest additions. What's not free are the two DLC(expansions) that are 10-20 hours in length. And those are $20 if you buy them together.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Their paid DLC expansions are more in line with what used to be called expansion packs in the old days and not the shitshow DLC has become today. They've released a lot of free DLC that are alternate cosmetics and small quest additions. What's not free are the two DLC(expansions) that are 10-20 hours in length. And those are $20 if you buy them together.
Their lead dev even spoke about this in the developer videos leading up to the launch of the game. He did not like the whole paid dlc thing that was happening at all, mentioned armored horses as a specific example. It takes a person from the art team minutes to a few hours to make those things, and it was ridiculous to charge for it.

Basically he explained that
- Bug fixes even leading up to "enhanced editions" should always be free. Consumers should not be charged for you polishing your game.
- DLC that does not add a significant amount of content / just cosmetics should be free since it costs them next to nothing to make.
- Additions to the game that falls into what was previously called "expansions" and should have a minimum of 10+ hours worth of entirely new content could be charged for because it requires a full effort of all aspects of a team, including more voice recordings.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just picked up this game through Gamefly. Man, love it already, and Gwent is super fun. Made sure to beat the guy in the first Inn you come to a couple times just to really rub it in!

What's the replayability on this game? I ask because it doesn't make sense for me to keep this game forever on Gamefly if it's super good and I'll want to keep coming back to it?

Surprised that I like it as much as I do so far. Not really into open world games for the most part but loving this. Then again, I'm just at the first Inn so it hasn't been all that open world to me yet.

Is it something I can beat, and shelve for a while until next dlc? Or is there a reason to keep playing after the main story is done?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The way Witcher 2/3 is layed out, there isn't always a hard coded good/bad option to what you choose in a quest - To give an example there's one quest where you think you're helping someone and later on you find out they're really an asshole and you fucked up. Then there's a few where after you've seen all 2-3 alternatives you're still not sure which one was the right one. Also, the game is open to modding, so what comes of that, who knows.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Just picked up this game through Gamefly. Man, love it already, and Gwent is super fun. Made sure to beat the guy in the first Inn you come to a couple times just to really rub it in!

What's the replayability on this game? I ask because it doesn't make sense for me to keep this game forever on Gamefly if it's super good and I'll want to keep coming back to it?

Surprised that I like it as much as I do so far. Not really into open world games for the most part but loving this. Then again, I'm just at the first Inn so it hasn't been all that open world to me yet.

Is it something I can beat, and shelve for a while until next dlc? Or is there a reason to keep playing after the main story is done?

The game is very story based and mostly very linear. So yes, you can beat it and shelve it for a year and then go back and mess around with it. Very good game.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
The way Witcher 2/3 is layed out, there isn't always a hard coded good/bad option to what you choose in a quest - To give an example there's one quest where you think you're helping someone and later on you find out they're really an asshole and you fucked up. Then there's a few where after you've seen all 2-3 alternatives you're still not sure which one was the right one. Also, the game is open to modding, so what comes of that, who knows.
I think it's beat it once, then shelve it until all the expansions DLCs come out. The game is moddable, but they said there will be no editor like Witcher 2, so I doubt there will be much worth playing and the game is built on storytelling, not on its systems, which is the opposite of Bethesda games.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What kind of person does it take to come up with this Botchling thing? And I thought I've seen all the horrible shit video games could ever throw at me.

eVasiege_sl

shitlord
Probably going to pick this up tomorrow. How's the difficulty compared to Witcher 2 on normal settings? And are there many (pointless) sidequests?

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
You should bump it up one notch. Signs are super op if you want to go that route. Especially quen and axii but they are all pretty good.

Every game has boring or stupid quests. Novigrad slowed down a ton for me with a lot of running around for little gain. Still some awesome gems in there so best to do it all.

Save often and in different slots. There is a bad, better and best option unlike previous games in the series.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Probably going to pick this up tomorrow. How's the difficulty compared to Witcher 2 on normal settings? And are there many (pointless) sidequests?
I'd say a bit easier, go with hard and I'd say that there are almost no pointless sidequests. Sure, the contracts you usually find on the boards are usually short and simple, but that is not always the rule and all of them have at least some backstory worth hearing/reading.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Make absolutely sure that you create an extra save before traveling to the isle of mists and do not ever overwrite that save.

The game itself will pop up like 15 fucking times telling you to do this, you better do this you retard, hey what are you doing, create a fucking save right now. make sure you've completed all side quests before venturing beyond this point, etc etc etc.

Do what the game says.

not actually a plot spoiler:

Depending on the number of side quests you do, this is about 60 hours give or take into the game when you create this save file. About an hour of exploring/questing later, you will have a series of conversations/quests (maybe 3 hours of content) that take place that, with very little rhyme or reason, determine the outcome of the game. Then about 10 hours of build up/loose ends/etc til the end of the game.

So that save point is saving the first 60 hours of the game, in case you fuck up and get an absolute shit ending, you only have to redo the last 15 or so hours.

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I find the game plenty hard. Even on easy, enemies are a lot block / evade happier than in previous witcher games. You can't just spam left click through fights.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Their lead dev even spoke about this in the developer videos leading up to the launch of the game. He did not like the whole paid dlc thing that was happening at all, mentioned armored horses as a specific example. It takes a person from the art team minutes to a few hours to make those things, and it was ridiculous to charge for it.

Basically he explained that
- Bug fixes even leading up to "enhanced editions" should always be free. Consumers should not be charged for you polishing your game.
- DLC that does not add a significant amount of content / just cosmetics should be free since it costs them next to nothing to make.
- Additions to the game that falls into what was previously called "expansions" and should have a minimum of 10+ hours worth of entirely new content could be charged for because it requires a full effort of all aspects of a team, including more voice recordings.
I've had trouble staying involved with all the other witcher games as itend to get lost in side quests and then just disinterested. They have also had some issues with combat controls that I've had a hard time with... But good lord, does cdprojekt know how to treat their consumers. Their games are basically an autobuy from me just out of appreciation.