Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I bought Wolcen this weekend. Played 1.5hrs and refunded. It feels like a mobile game.

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
Bought this game today and only played a little but have mixed feelings. The combat is pretty visceral and I like the graphics. The map does seem a little aimless. The story is, well, just there.

The thing I didn't really figure out yet was how the "classless" style really helps anything. For example, I got a Fireball skill that could only be used if I was holding a staff or catalyst. Its not like it allowed me to light my bow on fire or shoot flame arrows or anything. So even though it might not say "Mage" anywhere, its obvious that skill is for what we would call a Mage. Just kinda threw me off and was not what I was expecting.

The recent reviews on Steam are pretty good so I'll probably give it more time...but I don't know if I'll give it more than needed to return it.

APRGs in general are a hard bet nowadays with PoE and Torchlight and even D3 still going nicely. Can they really get people to shell out for this game? I don't know.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Friend of mine bought this and refunded after two failed attempts to get out of the first area. After he completed one of the initial quests it would black screen and freeze his entire system.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The thing I didn't really figure out yet was how the "classless" style really helps anything. For example, I got a Fireball skill that could only be used if I was holding a staff or catalyst. Its not like it allowed me to light my bow on fire or shoot flame arrows or anything. So even though it might not say "Mage" anywhere, its obvious that skill is for what we would call a Mage. Just kinda threw me off and was not what I was expecting.

i know you know this, but just to help clarify. it's classless in the sense that skills are tied to weapons. so if an interesting skill drops for a different build, you don't necessarily have to scrap it. you can just change weapons. now, i totally understand that it seems silly that you need to have a "mage" weapon to cast fireball when we all know you can shoot lightning out of your fingertips. but it doesn't necessarily make sense in reverse. if you get a dagger skill, it'll be really goofy trying to backstab someone with a staff. or shield bash someone while you're dual wielding guns.

there are definitely some abilities that feel like they should be universal, like you said shooting a fireball from a staff/bow/free hand should all be easily doable. but the non-"mage" abilities all basically require a certain weapon. i think it's one of those decisions that are made to bring parity between skills/builds even though it doesn't quite make sense

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Oddly enough this game seems the most interesting to me out of all of them.

Caliane

i know you know this, but just to help clarify. it's classless in the sense that skills are tied to weapons. so if an interesting skill drops for a different build, you don't necessarily have to scrap it. you can just change weapons. now, i totally understand that it seems silly that you need to have a "mage" weapon to cast fireball when we all know you can shoot lightning out of your fingertips. but it doesn't necessarily make sense in reverse. if you get a dagger skill, it'll be really goofy trying to backstab someone with a staff. or shield bash someone while you're dual wielding guns.

there are definitely some abilities that feel like they should be universal, like you said shooting a fireball from a staff/bow/free hand should all be easily doable. but the non-"mage" abilities all basically require a certain weapon. i think it's one of those decisions that are made to bring parity between skills/builds even though it doesn't quite make sense
one of the odd things I feel about the skill design is most of the skills are not based on the weapons like you suggest at all. 90% of the skills summon magic hammers, bows, machine guns, etc from the ether, and have nothing to do with your actual equipped item..

no stress test, no hands on for EA purchasers. Its hard to not be worried about this.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Will try it out but only because Lost Epoch was delayed until Q4 this year which is sad. Even though graphics arent nearly as nice I like the game significantly more playing off and on in beta. Fuck ton of customizations amongst your class/specialization/ability/talent tree's which I always enjoy. And crafting is a nice change up.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'll look at some streams but honestly nothing I've seen or heard seems encouraging about this, it looks like it's releasing a year too early. So maybe it'll be worth picking up in a year but I doubt it'll be good at release, will see though I'm not one to avoid a decent ARPG.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I picked this up and played through the offline Beta. I had fun and was sad when I reached the end of the first act when the Beta stops. I started out with a mage but got a badass sword as my first yellow drop and switched up to a warrior as a result for many levels which helped keep the experience fresh.

The skilweb is very Path of Exile and the skill points are very Diablo 3 runes. It did feel annoying to be so limited in terms of weapons that can be used with skills and some weapons seemed silly to use as a result, but maybe that is something that was addressed in the live client.

Biggest gap for me, at least, was a lack of reporting info to gauge upgrades. I wanted to see the weapon speed as well as the weapon damage and additionally to see what effect the various mods had on my overall character. Like I got a +11 resource generation item and it didn't modify my willpower on hit nor did it modify my passive willpower Regen (which I had to measure using a stopwatch like it was 1999) so I was left wondering if it did anything at all.

I'm not expecting a AAA title, but after finishing Battle Chasers I found myself craving a ARPG and there ain't much out there if you don't want to play Diablo for the Nth time and PoE isn't your cup of tea.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Gonna wait and see on this, doesn't sound like its something to play on release from the comments here and on Steam. I really want another ARPG to play, hopefully they can sort it out over the next 6-12 months.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
ZiggyD's(PoE streamer/content maker that works closely with GGG) beta impressions video. Short of it is the beta is actually really nice and he liked it a lot(even though he disliked the alpha a lot and wasn't really planning on playing it). On the flipside, there's a shitton of the promised content that's untested so launch will most likely prove to be a big clusterfuck once you get to that point since you can't really rely on good QA for an indie game. I'll give it a week or two to see what people have to say about the endgame.

Caliane

ZiggyD's(PoE streamer/content maker that works closely with GGG) beta impressions video. Short of it is the beta is actually really nice and he liked it a lot(even though he disliked the alpha a lot and wasn't really planning on playing it). On the flipside, there's a shitton of the promised content that's untested so launch will most likely prove to be a big clusterfuck once you get to that point since you can't really rely on good QA for an indie game. I'll give it a week or two to see what people have to say about the endgame.

yeah, thats basically what I said. The game was retooled repeatedly. the current Beta is the first act. but missing tons of content involving skills, features, and things like attributes, and passives were completely unfinalized.
the game is pretty, and has a very story heavy voiced, cinematic storyline.

But so much content is not player tested. They are going from a massively incomplete beta, nearly alpha to release in like 9 months, without players getting hands on the final version, via beta or EA first.
oh, and 50$ price tag post release iirc.

It will have closed league online mp, and open offline play.

Last edited:

Caliane

Rhykker has access to Full game, and made a vid on release.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I picked this up and played through the offline Beta. I had fun and was sad when I reached the end of the first act when the Beta stops. I started out with a mage but got a badass sword as my first yellow drop and switched up to a warrior as a result for many levels which helped keep the experience fresh.

The skilweb is very Path of Exile and the skill points are very Diablo 3 runes. It did feel annoying to be so limited in terms of weapons that can be used with skills and some weapons seemed silly to use as a result, but maybe that is something that was addressed in the live client.

Biggest gap for me, at least, was a lack of reporting info to gauge upgrades. I wanted to see the weapon speed as well as the weapon damage and additionally to see what effect the various mods had on my overall character. Like I got a +11 resource generation item and it didn't modify my willpower on hit nor did it modify my passive willpower Regen (which I had to measure using a stopwatch like it was 1999) so I was left wondering if it did anything at all.

I'm not expecting a AAA title, but after finishing Battle Chasers I found myself craving a ARPG and there ain't much out there if you don't want to play Diablo for the Nth time and PoE isn't your cup of tea.

Just play Grim Dawn if you haven’t. It’s loads better than Wolcen.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Just play Grim Dawn if you haven’t. It’s loads better than Wolcen.

I've actually tried to play Grim Dawn a few times and I just can't stand it for some reason. I come back to it every few months and say "oh yeah! This looked cool, why did I not play this?" Then I install it, go into my level 10 dude that has been sitting there for ages already and run around for < 10 mins then log out and uninstall it. I don't know if its the PS1 textures for the character or something about the way the abilities work or whatever but I just can't get into the thing.

• 1Faggotry