Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I've actually tried to play Grim Dawn a few times and I just can't stand it for some reason. I come back to it every few months and say "oh yeah! This looked cool, why did I not play this?" Then I install it, go into my level 10 dude that has been sitting there for ages already and run around for < 10 mins then log out and uninstall it. I don't know if its the PS1 textures for the character or something about the way the abilities work or whatever but I just can't get into the thing.

Man you should give it more than 10 levels, you don’t even get your dual class til 10, and things start getting more interesting after that. I think I have a tradable exp chest that would speed it up if you want to give it another shot.

Out of D3, POE, and GD I enjoyed it the most, I liked them all for different reasons though. GD was just the best solo / D2 replacement of the three imo.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
While I liked GD, I'd say it was probably the "worst" out of the 3. That is D3 after all the patches and shit, not release D3, that was garbo. The combat in GD kinda feels bad and too many of the skills feel too same-ish. It still has a decent amount of stuff you can do and the last expansion especially made it better with oathkeeper cyclone and movement skill runes and stuff but the base game was pretty rough imo. Still dumped 350hours into the game so it's not bad by any means but yeah it has definitive issues imo, especially the early game is pretty fucking boring I thought. Takes a while to unlock many good skills due to the way leveling is done and a lot of skills are just buffs and shit and it only really comes into its own once you have enough constellation point things to get all the various procs that make otherwise boring and weak skills into strong shit.

Videos of Wolcen so far made the combat look really good on the flipside. Everyone playing fucking warriors in beta it seemed like but that's cause there's not too many skills available, full game seems to have quite a lot more.

Caliane

A few things from beta, that I have no idea if got fixed.

1. the willpower/rage mechanic will drive people away. I never learned how to use it in any meaningful way. Just kept making mages, with staves to regen willpower, and taking every passive/gear piece to increase willpower, to the point I could cast spells nonstop, and use willpower flasks to refill.
2. Caster gear sucked shit. Anyone can use any armor at any time. there isn't even str/wisdom/etc requirements like poe. Force shield with the beta passives was total garbage. No reason to go it, when you can stack toughness to get health, and damage. and heavy armors giving health, resists. (Bruiser armor iirc was the ideal caster gear. probably for rogues too)
3. dots and damage ailments were total garbage. They didn't scale at all. like, "deals 100 damage per second" and you have +500% damage, it still only did 100 damage per second, while your direct hits were going from 100/hit to 5000/hit. This seemed just broken. a large reason no one was playing mages, and everyone was warriors in beta.
the ailment system itself has other restrictions. if you can apply 3 ailments in one hit for example, weakness, a fire dot, and vulnerability. only one will apply per hit naturally. (iirc it cycles.) Something to consider when equipping items, etc. There are passives that increase this.
4. there is a ton of flat damage added via gems, and on gear. This makes faster cast/attack pretty valuable. There were a few faster attack auto attack builds in beta, using uniques that gave like +200 flat damage.
5. PoE is the only game to get attributes right. this game is no real exception. This game has a system were you can invest in 4 attributes. the attribute with the highest investment gives like 50% of its value as increased damage%, the second most invested gives 40%, the 3rd 30%, and forth 20%. (like rykkher, these numbers are estimated, I dont remember the specific)
toughness gives health and force shield. so, is pretty obvious, stacking toughness will give you the most DAMAGE AND LIFE. Ferocity is spell and attack crit. so, is pure glass cannon, and likely the best secondary stat. Depending on how difficult the game ends up being, possibly the primary stat, with toughness just stacked until you mean the proper survival value. Agility is just attack/cast speed, so secondary or even primary in that rare added damage build. Wisdom was Ailment application chance, which as stated were total garbage, so no one took.

in beta there were no "x happens when you crit" like poe iirc, so no special reason to stack crit like that.

Edit:I just double checked beta vs rhykker.
Attributes did change. for the worse?

Beta attributes. Ferocity was health regen and crit chance.
toughness was health and resists.
agil was dodge, and attack/cast speed.
wisdom was ailment resist, and application chance.

so, each node had one "defensive" purpose before. even if toughness was still the obvious choice. they removed those defensive elements, and did change toughness a bit. the removal of resists is big. life AND resist made it a god stat for sure. but, removing the defenses from the others, still keeps it a god stat with just health... The force shield element may go a long way into making force shield or hybrid builds viable. dunno. still getting life there, so why would I bother?

Last edited:

Caliane

and yeah, Grimdawn is nice, in that it does its own thing. its in a interesting, and rarely touched time period. (which granted it does not embrace nearly as much as it should.) 1900's. its basically a post apocalyptic weird west, and Victorian england.

the mechanics don't really start to come into play until 40-50's I'd say. so yeah, in order to really start getting into builds, you do have to play much more.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
I've actually tried to play Grim Dawn a few times and I just can't stand it for some reason. I come back to it every few months and say "oh yeah! This looked cool, why did I not play this?" Then I install it, go into my level 10 dude that has been sitting there for ages already and run around for < 10 mins then log out and uninstall it. I don't know if its the PS1 textures for the character or something about the way the abilities work or whatever but I just can't get into the thing.

I don't know how long ago you last tried GD but it's come a long way with the expacs and updates that Crate put out. It's clunky sometimes but what do you expect from a game build on the Titan Quest engine. The forums at Crate are a complete mess, they are not very forthcoming to new players which is a shame. Levelling up in it on your first character can be painful but you can get gear later that makes that much more bearable and much faster.

This guy has some nice starter builds, the Miss Meltycakes build there is very nice.

It's worth playing to the end game as that's where the action is like most arpgs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

yeah, in a total not surprise to anyone, thanks to zero stress test and zero prerelease test. total shitshow.

Auth server down, steam authentication not working.

If you get the "not correct version, restart" error. its a bug apparently. 1.0.0.10_er is the correct version. (although that number might change to fix said bug..)

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Codex has a release if you want to skip dealing with the authentication problems
What?

Also, is it possible to make a build in Wolcen that would be similar to an Arc Totem, or Blight build in PoE?

Caliane

messing around with offline atm. they added more cinematics, dialogue, etc that was not in beta Act 1. interesting.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Codex has a release if you want to skip dealing with the authentication problems
I mean it's not like the cracked version will work online, and you can play offline even with the steam auth issues. So it's more like if you don't want to pay.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

What?

Also, is it possible to make a build in Wolcen that would be similar to an Arc Totem, or Blight build in PoE?
not sure. like 60% of the skills were not shown to beta. and 70% of the mods were not.

This game uses a hybrid system, between d3 and poe.
Basic is like D3. Skills do their thing. and as you level them, you unlock mods/runes, which lets you change how it behaves. some are just +damage, others change function. Fireball can be swapped to lightning for example. or +1 projectiles., or chaining.
But, gear and passives can ALSO effect skills in this way. you can get +1 projectiles via passives as well. or +1 piercing.

There is a turret/totem skill. no idea how it works. and im not sure on a contagion skill. probably.

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I think I've put something like 60-70 hours in Grim Dawn and I did not connect. Too much ranging around in the maps, maybe I just needed more time to memorize them. My main close to the end of the second difficulty play-through was a two-handed warrior that was basically a proc machine with several effects going off all over the place with every swing. Wasn't my thing.

In Wolcen, ironically, I always started a caster which, as described above, was not recommended. The first beta big boss was bullshit as said caster. The alpha mage was WAY better than the beta mage, and I am hoping they have managed to improve it in release. Looking for something to play over the weekend, may fire this up.

Caliane

I think I've put something like 60-70 hours in Grim Dawn and I did not connect. Too much ranging around in the maps, maybe I just needed more time to memorize them. My main close to the end of the second difficulty play-through was a two-handed warrior that was basically a proc machine with several effects going off all over the place with every swing. Wasn't my thing.

In Wolcen, ironically, I always started a caster which, as described above, was not recommended. The first beta big boss was bullshit as said caster. The alpha mage was WAY better than the beta mage, and I am hoping they have managed to improve it in release. Looking for something to play over the weekend, may fire this up.
i didnt test to see if ailments were fixed yet. But, basic staff attacks chain now. or at least the starter one does. So, a huge improvement from last beta. still not as cool as the older ones with ice/fire/etc attacks.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Enjoying this in offline mode. Level 14, a couple uniques have dropped, melee focused of course since I'm trying to play as a mage.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Did the online issue get fixed? I opened the game, said it had an update, but no update downloaded.