Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem

Spark

Golden Knight of the Realm
Pyros, Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not defending this abortion of a launch, I just feel bad that they put in 4 years of work just to throw it all down the toilet in one day. Hopefully they can recover, but it's an uphill battle at this point. I'm enjoying the game and will continue to play so as long as they keep working to correct the issues that are plaguing the game atm.

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Have we all forgotten the multi million dollar company that couldnt handle error 37 for weeks at release of d3? Or how about a live service game from EA with zero intersting gameplay outside of flying around. Or wait, that abomination of a fallout game. Not trying to
white knight a game
i didnt buy but jee, some
of you are quick on the trigger... give em a wee bit of slack to handle their issues?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It's odd, I've noticed it here, the Reddit and the discord or FULL of people who are just incredulous that people are playing anything other than PoE.

I've played Poe, I don't really like it. Im not playing wolcen at the expense of Poe. I wouldn't be playing that no matter what. It's just not my cup of tea as well as plenty of others. If you enjoy Poe, I'm happy for you. I'm glad you found a game that meets your needs.

And like myself and others have said... Triple A studios can't get launch right, I'm willing to cut a tiny studio some slack.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Well, off the top of my head, new story, new skills/skill tree, new gear combinations, new maps and visuals. Like you said, it's not D3 or POE and that's good enough for me. Those games are 7-8 years old now.

This game offers literally nothing new

last epoch blows it out of the water if you're looking for actual new features and clever ways to skill up

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Spark

Golden Knight of the Realm
This game offers literally nothing new

last epoch blows it out of the water if you're looking for actual new features and clever ways to skill up
Yep, I've had my eye on this also. I'll certainly give it a go when it releases.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's odd, I've noticed it here, the Reddit and the discord or FULL of people who are just incredulous that people are playing anything other than PoE.

I've played Poe, I don't really like it. Im not playing wolcen at the expense of Poe. I wouldn't be playing that no matter what. It's just not my cup of tea as well as plenty of others. If you enjoy Poe, I'm happy for you. I'm glad you found a game that meets your needs.

And like myself and others have said... Triple A studios can't get launch right, I'm willing to cut a tiny studio some slack.
PoE has as rabid a fanbase as Steam. How dare anyone ever play a different arpg or use a different online store! ;p

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
PoE has as rabid a fanbase as Steam. How dare anyone ever play a different arpg or use a different online store! ;p

PoE is certainly the best at getting players strung out on their heroin. It's overall probably the best arpg out but I've been playing GD for a while and it's not really that far behind.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caeden

PoE has a fantastic item system, aesthetic, endgame, and amazing boss fights (for the most part). But I’ve been unimpressed with a large amount of their skill design, in particular melee and bow. The passive tree seems daunting but once you level a few characters becomes pretty easy.

Also, pace. The sheer volume of content at endgame is why they’ll never slow it down.

I have GD. Need to play it. Might do that this month or two since I’m taking a PoE break

As shame about this game...it looked cool. Second chances are hard to get.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I can't take PoE seriously because it doesn't offer the stress of random character wipes.

Here's a window view of Wolcen's launch day

nf.gif

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I've been playing offline and having fun with it. Its enjoyable to unlock new powers and fiddle with gear to get the most out of what abilities you have, especially when you experiment and find a combination you hadn't considered is a lot more fun. I do have to wonder what sort of hell they unleashed on themselves with their server issues, however, as everything was fairly stable for me until they started the maintenance.

The abilites themselves, especially some of the more creative stances and triggered effects, are pretty cool and the smoothness of the gameplay is compelling. I keep forgetting, however, about the ultimate ability and have had an issue with trying to hammer the health potion and ending up with the map overlay or (even worse) the Steam interface popping up, but that's due more to my own clumsiness than any anything to do with the game design.

Had not heard of this Last Epoch thing though

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Does online play matter? I’ve been playing offline - is that progress being saved?

j00t

offline is perfectly fine. none of the gamebreaking bugs are affecting offline.

me and some friends were just playing offline together while on discord together. i got to the act 1 boss before anyone else they were laughing so hard because i kept dying. i'm usually a pretty relaxed gamer but i was getting close to chucking my keyboard across the room.

but then they got to him... revenge is sweet.

as fun as it was to listen to them get just as frustrated as i was, that dude needs to get nerfed lol.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Online won't come back until they find a fix for the Magic Find bug that allows you stack it up to ridiculous levels, like 25k+.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So I was watching Alkizer and he brought up, on replay-ability, that this game is lacking in the ability to fuck up a character, unless you MEAN to fuck him up (take projectile nodes when melee or caster) He says that while it looks on the surface like you have all these choices, the game pretty much kinda chooses a path on its own unless youre retarded.

Thats not to say that they cant add on layers to this game over time, like PoE did, but right now he pegs this as a PS game of the week.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I was watching Alkizer and he brought up, on replay-ability, that this game is lacking in the ability to fuck up a character, unless you MEAN to fuck him up (take projectile nodes when melee or caster) He says that while it looks on the surface like you have all these choices, the game pretty much kinda chooses a path on its own unless youre retarded.

Thats not to say that they cant add on layers to this game over time, like PoE did, but right now he pegs this as a PS game of the week.
What? The ability to respec into anything you might want to is somehow a knock against replayability? Are you sure you understood what he was talking about? What the game lacks in terms of bringing people back is a "seasonal carrot" like PoE and D3 both have. The "endgame" for both PoE and D3 will never keep your average player playing the game for a long time, but the seasonal /league still will always bring them back. Wolcen lacks that, but I'm sure they are going to have it... at some point. ;p

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I understood him perfectly. And he was not talking about "seasons" He was talkg about the game. the skills, the skill tree.

Around the 4:27-4:40ish mark he starts talking about it.

Obviously some of this stuff is subjective since not everyone loves POE, some like a bit watered down action RPG. For instance POE is a really hard game to get into if youre new. I think it took me like 2-3 leagues before I was considered a noob in that game. But I tend to listen to these dudes since its like their JOB to play this shit over and over. But its also why opinions from people like this are kinda to be taken with a grain of salt too. Because he is not an average ARRPG player. He is the 1%.

Last edited:

Fucker

Log Wizard

Dud builds are easy to make, especially for the standard player.