Woodworking

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The titebond is fine. Actually Elmer's is pretty effective wood glue as well.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
non toxic fda approved, this glue good enough? i got elmers atm
cc0fb0b5b9fe726ee9db3233250fdad1.png
That is what I use when I make cutting boards

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I could use some advice from my fellow woodworking bros. I'm in the market for a thickness planer once the Biden Bucks hit my account, but I'm torn on whether to get a cheaper model that will be adequate for my hobbyist level of usage or get a premium Dewalt model. Performance-wise, there doesn't seem to be a significant enough difference to justify the extra few hundred dollars, and quality of life features don't generally appeal to me as I'm frugal and patient with increased upkeep/maintenance burdens.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I could use some advice from my fellow woodworking bros. I'm in the market for a thickness planer once the Biden Bucks hit my account, but I'm torn on whether to get a cheaper model that will be adequate for my hobbyist level of usage or get a premium Dewalt model. Performance-wise, there doesn't seem to be a significant enough difference to justify the extra few hundred dollars, and quality of life features don't generally appeal to me as I'm frugal and patient with increased upkeep/maintenance burdens.

If you know you're not going to use it a lot just get the cheaper one. I'm all for getting quality tools, but something like that with very infrequent use...I'd stick with the cheaper one.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
I'm in the market for a thickness planer once the Biden Bucks hit my account

I bought this one and it's been servicable as long as I remember to keep snipe into account. It was $275 at the time of purchase (now ~$350).

Planers do tend to go on sale fairly frequently. I've seen the DW735 at $100-200 off several times. It was $500 as recently as a couple months ago. If you troll SlickDeals regularly you can see good deals pop up.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
If you know you're not going to use it a lot just get the cheaper one. I'm all for getting quality tools, but something like that with very infrequent use...I'd stick with the cheaper one.
I’ve started milling my own boards and planning on using reclaimed lumber in the future, but at this point I don’t know for sure how frequently I’ll actually be using it. I’ve gotten some good mileage out of my band saw and hope to be getting a lot more when my new blade gets here in a couple days. It’s designed for resawing green wood and I’ve got a bunch of slabbed pine that I’m turning into 4x4 fence posts.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I’ve started milling my own boards and planning on using reclaimed lumber in the future, but at this point I don’t know for sure how frequently I’ll actually be using it. I’ve gotten some good mileage out of my band saw and hope to be getting a lot more when my new blade gets here in a couple days. It’s designed for resawing green wood and I’ve got a bunch of slabbed pine that I’m turning into 4x4 fence posts.

That's more planned than just casual use. Get the more expensive one and make sure to use it like crazy when you first get it so that you can replace it under warranty if need be.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
That's what I use for everything.

Any feedback (or recommendations) on whether this is good in a fine tip bottle? Do a lot of laser cutting for 3d puzzle making and for that small of a product you don't need a bead of glue as thick as your thumb. I got a few fine applicator bottles but so far, all the wood glue I've sampled you'd need the grip strength of an olympian strong man to even get a drop out of the damn things cause of how thick the glue is.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
all the wood glue I've sampled you'd need the grip strength of an olympian strong man to even get a drop out of the damn things cause of how thick the glue is.

That's kinda the nature of wood glue. If you aren't worried about massive holding strength you can water it down a bit. For small projects people use CA glue just fine.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Any feedback (or recommendations) on whether this is good in a fine tip bottle? Do a lot of laser cutting for 3d puzzle making and for that small of a product you don't need a bead of glue as thick as your thumb. I got a few fine applicator bottles but so far, all the wood glue I've sampled you'd need the grip strength of an olympian strong man to even get a drop out of the damn things cause of how thick the glue is.

If I have delicate work with wood glue I usually squirt a bunch in a pile and put it on with qtips. This glue is fine for fine or coarse work. Wipe it down like crazy for fine work, or you'll have to sand it off. Have paper towel with some mineral spirits ready to get as much of the glue off as possible once you've pressed things together.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Even a damp rag is better than nothing for wiping up wood glue. I made the mistake of listening to my father in law when he said not to wipe up the squeeze out when I was laminating boards for a table top. He said the dried glue cleaned up easy enough with a card scraper.

After my father in law went home a few days later, I took the top to this crusty old woodworkers shop with all that dried glue on it he rolled his eyes, sighed, handed me a belt sander and said “you’re about to learn why it’s easier to clean squeeze out than dried glue.” And indeed I did. I went through probably 4 new belts even with one of those sandpaper eraser things to clean the gummed up sandpaper.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>

If you really need precision use super glue. If that's not strong enough then some sort of epoxy. There's a lot of good options.

Even a damp rag is better than nothing for wiping up wood glue. I made the mistake of listening to my father in law when he said not to wipe up the squeeze out when I was laminating boards for a table top. He said the dried glue cleaned up easy enough with a card scraper.

After my father in law went home a few days later, I took the top to this crusty old woodworkers shop with all that dried glue on it he rolled his eyes, sighed, handed me a belt sander and said “you’re about to learn why it’s easier to clean squeeze out than dried glue.” And indeed I did. I went through probably 4 new belts even with one of those sandpaper eraser things to clean the gummed up sandpaper.

If you just have a small bead that sticks up in the air it will come off like your father in law said. If you put on so much that it loses its surface tension and slops down on the surface of your wood then yeah you better wipe that off.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
If you really need precision use super glue. If that's not strong enough then some sort of epoxy. There's a lot of good options.

If you just have a small bead that sticks up in the air it will come off like your father in law said. If you put on so much that it loses its surface tension and slops down on the surface of your wood then yeah you better wipe that off.
Fair enough. I mean, he clearly sold me on the idea before hand. It was only after he’d left that I was wondering how the hell he talked me into not wiping it down.

whoo

<Silver Donator>
I regularly use Titebond glues in a glue syringe. You can add up to 5% water by volume to thin it and not reduce its effectiveness. If you do that and you still can't squeeze it through a hole the size of a 0.5mm pencil lead your glue is old or has been stored at high or freezing temperatures. If you don't go through lots of glue, buy small containers (no more than you can use in a year) and try to keep it indoors at room temperature.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thanks all, the glue is kept in my office as I work in the same room my laser cutter is so not a huge issue with hot/cold I don't think. I'll try watering it down a bit and see if it still holds together fairly well, didn't even think about doing that.

I have tried q-tips, but god damn the fuzz keeps sticking out of my projects, probably some kmart level qtip brand there.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I've been eyeballin' one of these for a few months

Anyone have opinions on CNC routers?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I've been eyeballin' one of these for a few months

Anyone have opinions on CNC routers?

That thing is amazing, and I would love to get one, but I can't justify it. I've heard good things about that brand, though.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Are there decent off brand 18v batteries out there. Specially for my DeWalt drill